Did I just put some personal information into a fake website?

I just got some junk email from quicken loans (of which I do have a loan from) and so I click the unsubscribe link which takes me to their marketing preferences page in which I need to unsubscribe from emails by entering my email address and then one for a phone number and yet another for snail mail.

So then I fill this out and submit it. Then I notice the domain at the top is view.t.quickenloans.com and I look at the email and after the @ its from e.quickenloans.com.

So now I think I just fucked up. So I decided to see who owns view.t.quickenloans.com and the e version too. The ICANN site says that both domains are not registered. Same with go-daddy.

Which is odd because how can the DNS servers figure out what to do with it.

Also when trying to get more information, I clicked on the unsubscribe link a few more times and now it goes to quickenloans.com, no longer view.t.quickenloans.com.

Any ideas on what is going on?

I think icann is broken atm. I see it’s owned by intuit if I look at a different registrar.

So you are probably OK but yeah, I would neeeeeever enter anything other than email into one of those forms. And I wouldn’t even do that, I would just block them with my email service.

https://who.is/whois/quickenloans.com

You could search ICANN if t.com and e.com are registered I guess.

You are correct and I do know that rule. I just get email occasionally from quicken loans and didn’t even think about it this time.

Your experience is why it’s bad form for any company to use multiple root domains. Everything should be intuit.com like loans.intuit.com and not all of those stupid vanity site names. I push back hard on all our marketing when they want new domains.

I think Quicken Loans used to be a separate thing back in the day. People may not recognize Intuit, or may not connect the two.

Send me all your private information and I’ll make sure it’s still safe.

I have it all publicly posted on my Facebook account. Is that safe?

e.quickenloans.com and view.t.quickenloans.com are all part of the same domain as quickenloans.com. The e. and view.t are what’re known as subdomains, they are used typically to help organise bigger websites but they are still part of the same domain (thus in this instance will belong to and be controlled entirely by quickenloans.com).

What you need to be vigilant for is if it is the other way around. quickenloans.e.com would, for example, belong to e.com and be a likely scam attempt.

Regardless, Gendal has the right idea - I’d never provide extra info to an unsubscribe and frankly if they’re dedicated spammers clicking the unsubscribe link in the first place does nothing more than confirm you’re a live target… Only unsubscribe from services you know are legit and you’re just not interested in. Anything else - block it and ignore.

Maybe I missed that this was already said, but never click on email links, even if you look at them first and think they look legit. Instead, just take the extra time to visit their site normally, navigate manually over to their Unsubscribe page or whatever, and do it there.

Everything before quickenloans.com doesn’t matter and just means it’s a subdomain. The real concern would be if it sent you to quicken-loans.com or something like that.

I forgot that domains in a URL are interpreted from right to left. COM is the biggest, then QUICKENLOANS, then T or E or whatever, then VIEW.