Din's Curse... or you wanted a Soldak Thread

Awesome. I’m all over this when I get home tonight. In the meantime, someone post some early impressions!

In case you all have not, or are to lazy to, read the press release:

EDIT: Bold mine.

Soldak’s New Dungeon Crawl - Din’s Curse

Din, champion of the gods, has cursed you into a second life of
service because you selfishly squandered your first one while
causing misfortune to those around you. To redeem yourself, you
must impress Din by building a reputation for helping others.
Travel the spacious western plains of Aleria and save desperate
towns from the brink of annihilation. Until you’re redeemed, you’re
doomed to wander the earth alone for all eternity.

In Din’s Curse, you will explore an extensive underground, slaying
dangerous monsters, solving dynamic quests, dodging deadly traps,
and in your spare time, plundering loot. Quell uprisings, flush out
traitors, kill assassins, cure plagues, purge curses, end wars, and
complete other dangerous quests or the danger WILL escalate. Not
all is as it seems though, traitors will gladly stab you in the
back, renegades can revolt against the town, spies can set up
ambushes, and items might even curse or possess your friends.

Choose one of 141 class combinations and journey to an infinite
number of dynamically generated towns with vastly different
problems. Every game is a surprise! Your actions have real
consequences in this dynamic, evolving world. Your choices actually
matter!

Open the door to Din’s Curse. Surprising adventures await!

Bought and downloading beta! Hopefully, I will be able to tear myself away from ME2 to play a bit tonight :-)

eh…The game wants me to enter a code, and I havent recieved any? Nor a mail confirming my purchase? thats a bit strange…

They key should be in the same email that gave you the download link (farther down I believe).

Dang! Scooped here too! By Steven and Aganazer again no less! Damn you J.J. Abrams and John Locke!

I’ll be back with impressions ASAP! We are not under any NDA, right?

Bael

Ok, I don’t mean to sound really dense, but this reads a lot like taking Depths of Peril (awesome game!), removing the guilds (awww, I liked the guild rivalries), adding more towns and random monster events (woot!) and adding more negative effects that can happen if you don’t address said random monster events (double woot!).

That about sum it up? Or is there more awesomeness I’m missing?

Thanks - the mail came a bit late, was worried there for abit - thanks :-)

I hope to get on Steam, but I have very little control over that. We got Depths of Peril on Steam but not Kivi’s Underworld.

It’s probably already somewhere in the thread, but the preorder price is $19.99. The final price will be higher than that. I’m not positive what yet though.

No definite plans. It really depends on sales. The game is very moddable though so even if we do nothing others could.

That’ll teach me. :)

No, no NDA.

The really, really simple version: Din’s Curse = DoP - factions + way more dynamic stuff + lots of world interaction + more random features + prettier + 141 class combinations + co-op multiplayer

I reeeeally need to stop charging on my credit card and I was attempting to cease until after I get my tax refund back…so, pre-order or pray for refund by release? Hmmm. I mean, I am going to get it anyway and the interest charges on $20 at 6% APR or whatever is like a negative amount right? Plus, I’ll be paying it off in a matter of weeks…and I am sure I will not use this same reasoning as justification for any other purchases between now and then.

Based on those factors, I think I will be making money by pre-ordering at the lower price.

Also, Steven, did you check with Tom ahead of time to make sure he approved of the name and that it is not too generic-y for his tastes?

While I hate losing the factions (I really love that about DoP), all the other new stuff is fantastic. :) Thanks for the summary!

Funny, almost the same thought pattern crossed my mind. I’m so broke, but damnit this looks like the kind of game I’ve been waiting for since first playing Diablo. Plus, testing sounds like fun, haven’t done it in a while.

I did not. He liked Kivi’s name so I have a 50/50 chance. :)

The faction stuff is kind of reserved for DoP. If we do a DoP sequel (and I hope we do), it will definitely have the factions.

I picked up the Mac version this evening. I’ll try to have some comments up later.

How long after non-Steam release did it take for DoP to land on Steam? Also, I noticed Kivi’s isn’t on Steam – is it coming? If there is a long wait for Din’s to come to Steam (if at all) I’m going to have to bite the bullet and go non-Steam (and of course pre-order it today).

Earlier in the thread:

Seems like somebody should organize a grass roots campaign to petition/bitch at Steam. We all know how well those work right?

Stop looking at me, I am far too lazy.

Haha, I already proved how lazy I am by not even looking earlier in the thread! Or, more precisely, how crap my memory is because I did read the whole thread yesterday and ALREADY forgot the Steam info.

Regardless, going to P-O this now, thanks!

Picked it up, and while I dislike BMT micro, especially when stacked up against Steam or Impulse, the transaction went pretty smoothly. Only played about 20 minutes so far but I like what I see.

The big trumpeting points will take several games to suss out, being random and all, but it looks like a competent ARPG at the minimum so far.

Yeah, the dynamic world parts seem pretty random at the moment. I lost a whole world to a monster assassin who spawned in town right after I got trapped behind a bunch of stone from an earthquake caused by an earthquake machine. Now I’m on my second world, and I think I’m doing better…
It’s neat how the monsters get more powerful if you don’t kill them quick. It worked like that in Depths of Peril, too, but you didn’t have to worry about them invading town or killing the vendors.

get a message:

A war has led to an uprising of Dread Dogs on Burial Crypt level 3

So I go to level 3, and sure as shit, there is a bunch of demon dogs fighting a bunch of skeletons.

AWESOME!