DiRT Rally 2.0 - Ain't no ordinary Rally, it's evolved!

This game seems much harder than its predecessor. I can barely control anything beyond the starter car, at least with a controller. At this point the frustration is outweighing the fun by a fair bit. I did not have this problem with the original, where the learning curve was steep but satisfying.

All they need to do is give us the option to stay at Clubman difficulty. On Clubman, I was always fighting to get into first place on any given leg if I was driving well, even in a rear wheel drive car.

I mean, that was me in Dirt Rally 1. In 2? I end up 26th in Open if I dare venture out of H1. And that’s driving a clean race, mind.

What car were you using? Maybe it’s something completely uncontrollable like the Porsche 911? At Clubman, the Porsche was completely uncontrollable for me, coming in pretty far behind the pack. But with the Alpine at H2RWD, I was always fighting for first.

I’ve been using the Alpine. The Alpine and I got along so well in the first game, but I can barely handle it in this one. I can’t figure out why. Even weirder, I feel like I was doing better with it when I first started using it, I swear I’m getting worse instead of better.

Try using the Porsche for a go around the various tracks. Maybe I did so well with the Alpine because it was so much more controllable than the Porsche.

With the Porsche, I considered it a win if I ever ended up in anything but last place in a race. This was on Clubman. I found that to be an excellent and exciting metric.

Hey @Rock8man, are you interested in picking one race setup in time trial and having a little leader board chase? I’m looking for a reason to get back into this and play some races here and there. You can pick any race track / condition setup you’d like.

Sure. Do you own the DLC tracks? How about the DLC cars? Just want to know what we have in common. If the answer to both is no, then I know what to pick from.

I don’t currently have any DLC, but I can be persuaded while the season pass is on sale :-)

Check it out, they’re running a Daily Challenge promo today, run a Swedish track in the snow for free!

And check out my results. I’ve never had a Daily Challenge result in the last Tier before, let alone in the bottom half of Tier 4.

I’m soooooooooooo glad I don’t own Sweden. Despite the theory above that I’ll be able to “uninstall it”, but clearly I had it installed by the game already even though I don’t own it. So I wouldn’t want to risk actually owning Sweden. God, I hated this track so much.

Alright, Time Trial time!

Let’s restrict ourselves only to the long tracks, that way there’s less choices.

I started with the easiest one, New England, the first track available on there (North Fork Pass). The Dry version of that track this time. In a Group A car, in my case a Subaru 1995 Impreza.

Here’s my first run.

OK, maybe my abilities are better suited to an arcade racer like Forza Horizon :-)

It took many tries just to get my dented husk of a car over the finish line and I finished 1 minute 35 seconds behind you, with 24 seconds in penalties. I do OK in the first section, sometimes getting ahead of you. I sometimes hold the lead past the first hairpin turn around the hay - but then your clean driving leaves me in the dust. I’ve only used some slow car in my career mode, so this car was faster than I am used to. I will try and see if I can get a time that is more competitive with yours, but for now I’m pretty sure your lead is safe :-)

Edit: Cut my time to 7:52 with 15 second penalty. Still way slower than you.

Edit: Got it to 7:12 without any penalty. Now I’m trailing you by around 30 seconds. Still far behind, but not as terrible!

Came back to this, getting along with it a bit better, but really annoyed with the “purchase car” function right now. I was test driving vehicles to try to decide on my preferred H3 class car, came to a conclusion, but then when I went to buy it it had disappeared from the available cars for purchase. What’s up with that? Apparently I have to wait 8 hours for a new batch and hope it’s in there? WTF?

Is there no way to just buy the car you want?

Ok, I wasn’t expecting us to be non-competitive on that. Maybe I just had a lucky run. Since it was the first run, I was just trying to drive safe without pushing it.

Here, let’s try asphault, maybe that’s more your speed. Plus, on this one I messed up twice in a major way in the last section, with 9 seconds in penalties, and more in trying to recover before I got the penalties.

That’s the first course in dry conditions in Spain, in an Alpine.

I’ll give it a try. I’d probably be better off on short tracks since I have a hard time driving clean over a long track. I’ve only got about 5 hours in DR 2 and before yesterday I hadn’t played in months. I do think you may be better than me in these more technical racing games, but I will do my best! :-)

OK, now you’re just taunting my picking a rear wheel drive car :-)

Am I the only one that finds asphalt terrifying? Really any long stretch where I’m supposed to be going fast scares the hell out of me, since I always feel like I’m one twitch from a high speed collision (and the low speed ones are bad enough!)

That said, I should try and get in on this…

RWD car on asphalt isn’t bad actually. It’s tricky on gravel, but on a road, it’s nice.

They can be very scary, yes. That’s actually why I picked New England first, I personally think that’s easier, but different people have different preferences.

I jumped back into my career mode to take a break from getting throttled by @Rock8man. It must be my first championship. Looking back at my prior results I finished 23rd in the first 4 stage event, 3rd place in the 2nd, 8th place in the 3rd and I just ran the 4th event now, placing first.

I like the little slow car I’m driving, the Lancia Fulvia.

Yup, everyone is going to have their own preference. For me, New England has been kinder in the campaign than the other locations. In general, I seem to do better in New England, Argentina, and perhaps Australia. I largely credit that to those being more generally “technical” rather than “fast.” Fast has always been terrifying in these games!