DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

Just wait until I post a video. (Then you can see how poorly I take hairpins, too, either crawling through them in first gear or missing them altogether and flying off the far end.)

Don’t worry, we’ll wait for Mr Bismarck if we want to see good driving!

If it’s a really rally simulator then it’ll have crowds of people in the way after every corner.

Damn that is some impressive footwork.

Two of the short stages (3-5 minutes) in video form.

Mini Countryman in Wales. Note where I jump the co-driver’s call for a square right and, uh, smoothly save, and where the co-driver doesn’t say, “Don’t cut,” and I run into a post in front of the spectators.

Classic Mini in Greece. Unfortunately, I didn’t think to record one of the stages from the challenge. Fortunately, I drive a lot better in this one than I did in any of those.

It is mine as well. Game is absolutely superb. Ive always loved Codies games, but this is just great. Feels like im playng CMR1 again. Good stuff.

Wow, Fish, those look lovely, though I’ll admit, watching that, I thought to myself, “I wanna go home and play Dirt 2.” ;)

All you need to know about this game encapsulated in a single pace note in the second video Fishbreath posted:

“Caution, turn right 3, tightens over jump 60 down”

Oh man, I want to play a game like that! I remember American McGee once saying he wanted to do a simulator about driving in India (?) where pedestrians are constantly getting in the way of traffic. I imagine that’s what it would look like.

-Tom

The more you know about Group B, the less you want to see spectators lining the sides like that.

I scheduled four more events over the next five weeks or so, so remember to check in with the league every week. You can check out the info the upcoming events in the league page (they’re under “next season”). If you haven’t joined yet, what are you waiting for?

Wow, that’s lovely. I especially love being able to see the co-driver and his notes on his little notebook as he keeps glancing up and back at his notebook. If I was playing this game, I’d be sneaking looks at his notebook every time he turned the page and then crashing because I wasn’t looking at the road.

This does make me want to dig up Dirt 3. I bought that a while ago, but never tried it. The videos reminded me a lot of the Colin McRae game I played a while before Dirt 1 and 2. And it also reminds me of Dirt 1 and 2. One thing that strongly reminded me of the series is when you did that hairpin turn near the end of the first video and got caught on that stupid little pole that almost took apart your car. That’s sooooooo CMR and Dirt.

Rock8man, from what I’ve seen, this one is much closer to those old CMR games than to the other Dirt titles, just FYI. So, if you do give Dirt 3 a spin and don’t care for it, that doesn’t mean you wouldn’t enjoy this.

OOOOoooooo…I’m gonna have to have this…this reminds me of my misspent youth driving way too fast on gravel roads.

Very true. The rally in DiRT 3 feels downright composed compared to this—wider roads, forgiving grip. I like the experience here more. I find I need to fling the car around in proper rally fashion much more than I had to in DiRT.

That said, it turns out I’m very quick in tarmac events, relative to my talent. I’m on pace with the career AI, instead of about ten seconds per minute off. Probably all the road racing game experience showing.

FishBreath, is that the actual driver view when playing, or just one of the replay camera views?

I would assume actual driving view is from the driver’s perspective, not some floating back seat camera placed between driver and co-driver and so far back as to limit road visibility.

The second video is obviously from the driver view.

Yup, Angrycoder’s right. (It’s also with the wrong TrackIR profile, hence the crazy head movements.)

Thanks, got distracted on my way to the second vid…

Saw my son driving in Wales earlier and I was amazed. Incredibly narrow roads lined with trees. I really need to try this myself. Unfortunately, I’ve been having some mild knew issues, so I don’t think I can use pedals…