DiRT Rally - Codemasters' early access PC rally game

I played the original CMR again on my PS3 recently (with the original disc!) and was really surprised how great it still feels, so much so I lost an evening or two to it. The graphics are a bit crusty but they’re evocative and the handling and sounds go a long way in making you feel like you’re connected to the tracks. As much as I loved DiRT 2, I do miss the proper CMR games.

Does this game have Ken Block in it calling me dude and bro?

The daily today is really nasty. Skinny icy mountain roads in a snowstorm weather. I crashed more than a few times during my attempt. Driving a rear wheel vehicle after having driven my forward wheel mini in several events in career mode didn’t help much either.

The only thing it has is Codemasters’ trademark electronic soundtrack and a lot of fine rallying.

Here are two more for you fence-sitters:

Mini Cooper S at Col de Turini—a chance to get some good, fast tarmac rallying in. (I know how to take hairpins on pavement!)

Lancia Stratos in Greece—mid-engine RWD means sideways is the most common orientation. The Mini and the modern rally cars don’t really drive in classic rally car fashion unless you’re really pushing hard. The Stratos really gets the weight-transfer feel down. Tap the brakes and turn in, and the back end comes out. Feather the power to hold the slide, countersteer on exit. It’s a riot.

Now buy the game and join the league. :P

Well, thanks, I bought it. Are you happy now? ARE YOU HAPPY?

I like the Greek video… “Jump maybe… I don’t know… These aren’t my notes.”

Also 'Don’t cut" is a bit calm. “Don’t cut or we’ll probably both die” would be more accurate.

I’m still not buying this. I have too many driving games. You can’t make me.

They’ll be fine.

Escapes death by inches, casually lifts camera to record aftermath…

I am gonna buy this, but lemme all ask y’all something as an aside real quick. I’ve never played a CMR game, just the Dirt games. If I was to pick up a CMR game to try it out, which one would y’all recommend I get? Thanks!

Brian, maybe someone can answer which ones run best on modern hardware. CMR 2 was a favorite of mine (and had a surprisingly faithful GBA adaptation, believe it or not). It’s been a while but I think the next choice would be 4? Get confirmation on that before pulling the trigger.

I was actually downloading this and canceled the download halfway through thinking I’d just wait until it’s out. After checking out Fishbreath’s videos, I’m not sure I should wait.

I might regret asking this, but what is Group B?

-Tom

Group B was a particularly fast type of Rally car that was run from 1983. It was stopped in 1986 because the cars kept killing drivers and spectators.

If you want to listen to a British guy talk about the end of Group B on low quality, SFW video with mono sound, you can do so here.

Yeah, I should have said the history of Group B, as it only lasted a few years. A very exciting period of time in rallying, but after a while even some of the drivers thought they were too fast. That was a Group B Audi car in Pod’s video link.

IIRC there are a couple of good documentaries floating around Youtube about Group B. This is a page showing some of the history of rally spectators from that era onwards, with some really good pics. Some of those people really put the ‘fan’ in fanatic.

Yeah, they were basically the rally equivalent of supercars. Unlike group A cars, they didn’t have to be actual production vehicles, among other things. They had waaay more power than rally cars did prior to that.

In 1978 the AlItalia Lancia Stratos and Jaclyn Smith in Charlie’s Angels both gave me feelings I couldn’t really explain.

Think about how fast this car is going. Look at the distance to the wall of spectators blocking the road.

Utterly insane! (But really, they should add such a thing to the game. I imagine most people would sensibly break and this lose time ;))

The bad news is, the game hates my wheel. The good news is, it’s still really quite drivable with a 360 controller.

Thing is, the focus group gets hold of that and next thing you know you’re an assassin running round pedestrians with pots on their heads.

We can’t make you buy it, eh?

Unrelatedly (but possibly relatedly), so much for my spot atop the league leaderboards. I’ve been bested by a full five minutes. Who are the two of you whose names there don’t match your names here?

What wheel are you using?

It works great with my G25, but that is probably not surprising. UI needs some work though, tbh I’ll be fucked if I know what button 18 is on my controller and that is all it gives me at the moment and a bunch of keyboard stuff just does not work (like esc to go back or get back to the main menu).