Dirty Bomb - New multiplayer shooter from Spash Damage

I missed the $8 for everything deal they had last week. Hoping that reappears.

Arise! I just started playing this and have no clue what is going on. I really like the Gameplay and different mercs though, reminds me of early counterstrike, with the knife running. I am just not really clear on how to get better cards. I know I could spend hundreds of dollars unlocking everything, but I am trying to understand how to best spend credits. Anyone still playing?

I’d get some cards for completing missions and leveling up at least. Even got a Gold or Platinum card from one of those reward crates.

Enjoyed the gameplay/gunplay a lot, but do not have enough time in the day to play it unfortunately, since there are so many other games vying for attention as well.

I honestly don’t get why companies like Splash Damage even bother to create MP shooters any more.

Their last efforts have pretty much disappeared without a trace. Even bigger shooters from the likes of EA seem to have a short time in the sun, and then they disappear without a trace.

If you’re not MW/CoD, Star Wars, or CounterStrike, why even go there?

Fired this up today after having not played in quite a long time. Feels different in a good way but can’t quite put my finger on it. Bit bummed it seems to not really have any new maps since my last play though. At any rate this might get a bit of play for the next week or so from me.

I played for around 2 hours tonight, I swear there is some kind of wall hack or something going on, there is no reason I should be getting headshot rounding a corner over and over and over. I rage uninstalled. :p

Also their pricing model needs serious review, $10 per character is pretty high, now that other games are giving you all the characters for $50-$60 (tho they are a full priced game).

Haven’t seen any suspicious deaths yet after several hours. I do agree prices are a bit high, but you can play the free rotation just fine and earn the others or buy or sale. Plenty of games have cheaper heroes, but plenty have same or more expensive. I’m looking at you Heroes of the Storm…

Still having a lot of fun with this.

Splash Damage was just bought by a Chinese company! It’s gotta be Nexon, right? They published Dirty Bomb, so it makes sense, but no.

Leyou, a chicken processor and supplier, bought the studio for $150 million. This is the second game studio the poultry company has purchased. They bought Digital Extremes, makes of Warframe, in August of last year.

[quote]
The Group continues to face an arduous task in respect of the Poultry Business, where, despite efforts to improve raw materials procurement, feed production, breeder and broiler breeding, broiler slaughtering and process, quality and safety management and sales mix rationalisation and channel expansion, the management of the Group still has limited control of the business results and profitability under the harsh operational environment in the PRC.

Meanwhile, the global market for video games industry continued to experience healthy growth despite a slowing world economy.[/quote]

Well, that’s totally feather pluckn insane

Well, Warframe is still doing good and DE being awesome as they are. So hopefully this might continue to be good for Dirty Bomb.

Only problem is that it is a very crowded market, even if Dirty Bomb is quite nice (the unlock system is neat, but the Monetization model is a bit heavy on the $$$ side for my liking… )

FT Alphaville has a look at the Leyou/Splash Damage acquisition.

I have no idea how the investment is paying off for Leyou. The player numbers for Dirty Bomb aren’t that great.

http://steamcharts.com/app/333930

They must have some dedicated whales purchasing in-game stuff.

It is a shame, the game is quite good and deserves a lot more players – shame the PC “FPS” scene is littered with so many games that outside of the behemoths CS:GO/MW-whatever most of the other games just have a few players or a short timespan with a lot…

Course that also means that the ‘scrubs’ are playing CS:GO and you can get some good matches in other games lower player numbers… (Like ARMA…)

The monetization angle feels a bit pushy though, but I’ve learned to ignore it.

I will forever love SplashDamage for their original RtCW maps (marketgarden, and the GOTY maps especially Tram), Wolf:ET, and Quakewars work. I actually liked Brink as well, although the maps were a bit cramped for my liking. Dirty Bomb felt a bit samey, but I didn’t give it much of a shake, since I can’t stand the free to play model.

I hope they manage to continue refining their gameplay model. Their class/objective teamplay, refined from Nerve’s work on RtCW) is so much more satisfying than stuff like the Battlefield series, but it does require teamwork and a bit of patience to learn your class roles. Hard to get traction w/ the CoD/BF crowds.

I had a lot of fun with Dirty Bomb early on, but sadly this is another game where I would rather pay a fixed up-front purchase cost to get all characters/weapons. I’m getting tired of second guessing whether the new characters and additions are overpowered or not and generally playing a game where you need to pay microtransactions or commit to lengthy grinds to gain access to even basic levels of content.

Great game mechanics burdened by F2P bullshit.

The problem seems to be that beyond the outliers like Overwatch, Call of Duty, R6:S, or Battlefield, there’s very little room for new first-person multiplayer shooters that are not F2P. (CS:GO is in a weird space in that it’s essentially F2P/super cheap for the right underground reseller markets, and is maintained by F2P systems.) If an MP shooter comes out with any price above FREE, the most numerous criticism is that it should be F2P, and the game inevitably fails until it goes F2P.

On the flip side, it turns out that growing a F2P shooter is hard. Most F2P shooters start with a big spike of activity, then just like a F2P mobile game, the player pool quickly dries up and leaves unless you work to keep them engaged. Sometimes, this happens before the game officially launches because people get their fill during the beta!

MOFO update is out, performance improvements on every map.

I don’t have this installed anymore, anyone want to report in with impressions?

Splash Damage is now entirely in charge of Dirty Bomb. Nexon will not be involved going forward.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Nexon dropped it because it just wasn’t pulling its weight.

http://steamcharts.com/app/333930

I haven’t played in awhile, but I really dislike the card based loadout system they used.

If they found a way to remove the F2P grind / card system , and just let me pay a fixed price for the entire game, I know I would sink quite a few hours into this game again.

It is still an awesome shooter, the card system seemed kinda meh, I just equipped a card with nice weapons that I liked and stuck with those. Sure, I wanted ‘better’ cards, but seeing as those never dropped, i stuck with my shotgun =)