Discourse back button sucks

Ok, so I did this and saw the blue back button. I then tried it again and it didn’t work.

I went to the Turkey Coup thread in the politics forum. I’ve never read that thread. I went half way down. I scrolled up 20 posts and I saw the button.

I then went to the end of the thread and scrolled up, and no matter how far I scrolled the button did not appear.

I then tried it again. I went to the Wells Fargo thread in the politics forum. I used the fake scroll bar to go to 128/138, I then scrolled up lots and never saw it.

Still, whether or not it works (and it doesn’t, as evidenced by @Thraeg’s efforts), it doesn’t change the fact that it’s a terrible design decision and Discourse is wrong for implementing it.

1. My browser has a back button, respect it.
  2. There’s no need to implement your own back button and get it wrong.
  3. When I click on something, let me go back using the (browser’s) back button.

Not doing so is intentionally breaking simple web browser fundamentals, is completely non-standard and most importantly pointlessly different from every other app. I don’t care if it’s a challenging feature to implement on your infinite scrolling – javascript has history editing functions, so use them,

edit

1. This is a link elsewhere
  2. This is a link to this thread