Discworld weekly police procedural approved by Pratchett

They may not match what’s in your head, but all three movies (Color of Magic, Hogfather, and Going Postal) are excellent. I found them well worth watching, perfect adaptations or not.

There’s no need to start all of Discworld at the beginning. (I love the series but the Rincewind books are my least favorite.) However, if your interest is in the city guard sub-series, I can understand wanting to start with Guards! Guards!

My favorite, I think, is the stand alone Small Gods.

Unfortunately I didn’t enjoy the movies at all, just felt they were pretty clunky. The animated ones (eg Soul Music) wasn’t too bad, but its been a looong time since I’ve watched it.

Me too. I loved that book and the stories of the Watch that follow.

Yep.

Though at least there still seems to be some signs of life.

http://narrativia.com/watch.html?fbclid=IwAR02W6gM-cQ6hOg1l3EN9Ir_Pi4HyRH_oHiIpmhUnxwQ8F00U-d2jGNvge4

The Watch is a punk rock thriller inspired by the legendary ‘City Watch’ subset of “Discworld” novels. This disruptive, character-driven thriller centers on Terry Pratchett’s misfit cops as they fight to save a ramshackle city of normalized wrongness, from both the past and future in a perilous quest. Modern and inclusive, The Watch features many famous “Discworld” creations including City Watch Captain Sam Vimes, the last scion of nobility Lady Sybil Ramkin, the naïve but heroic Carrot, the mysterious Angua and the ingenious non-binary forensics expert Cheery together with Terry Pratchett’s iconic characterization of Death.

The Watch was commissioned for BBC AMERICA by President and GM Sarah Barnett , and Nena Rodrigue , EVP of Original Programming, Acquisitions and Production. Co-produced with Narrativia and written by Simon Allen ( The Musketeers , Das Boot and New Tricks ), The Watch is executive produced by Hilary Salmon ( Luther , Silent Witness and Three Girls ), Ben Donald for BBC Studios and Rob Wilkins for Narrativia. Phil Collinson ( Doctor Who ) also joins the team as executive producer.

The Watch has been startlingly reimagined for television by writer Simon Allen, while still cleaving to the humor, heart and ingenuity of Terry Pratchett’s incomparably original work,” commented BBC AMERICA President, Sarah Barnett. “BBC AMERICA embraces what’s fresh and exhilarating in TV; we believe The Watch will astonish audiences.”

Looks like 8eps of 60min have been ordered. A bit worried by the “startlingly reimagined” phrasing, but curious to see this finally materialize.

I came here to post that! A whole eight episodes, that’s like two whole seasons!

That description screams one thing to me.

It’s not set in Discworld.

You might be right. They don’t specifically mention Great A’Tuin or the world, just “Discworld” characters - and those inverted commas might just be there for a reason…

Finally a series which Flat Earthers can appreciate.

Aren’t all dwarfs in Discworld “non-binary”?

All dwarves are either male, or female, it’s just that they are fuzzy and indeterminate.

Three and a couple of Christmas specials, you mean.

Nobby is probably the character where they will have the most leeway with and remain accurate. He changed from very creepy and scary to somewhat sympathetic.

There’s the quote that nobby has the body of an 18-year old, but nobody is sure where he keeps it.

Guess I wasn’t the only one who didn’t pick up on this bit of casting news. Seems like Richard Dormer (GoT’s Beric Dondarrion) has been cast as Sam Vimes. Reckon thats pretty good casting.

Lets just hope the show itself will be worth watching… At present I’m very sceptical.

https://i.imgur.com/5KSjOlm.jpg?1

The eight-episode series begins filming later this month.
Dormer will star as Sam Vimes, captain of The Watch, who’s been “disempowered by a broken society that’s reduced his department’s jurisdiction to almost nothing.”

Joining Dormer in the cast are Jo Eaton-Kent ( The Romanoffs ) as non-binary forensics expert Constable Cheery, Adam Hugill ( Pennyworth ) as idealistic young recruit Constable Carrot, Marama Corlette ( Blood Drive ) as the mysterious Corporal Angua, Lara Rossi ( Robin Hood ) as vigilante Lady Sybil Ramkin and Sam Adewunmi ( The Missing ) as the vengeance-seeking Carcer Dun.

They are filming it in Cape Town South Africa and unless they shoot everything in a studio that sure doesn’t really sound like a medieval city, so the suspicion that this will be modernized take on Ankh Morpork might not be so far off.

I mean the city itself is clearly inspired by Victorian London, and not a medieval city. So trying to make it look like Kings Landing or Firenze would be a mistake.

He seems like a decent casting choice though.

Ok, sorry, you’re absolutely right, I was just trying to point out that Cape Town is not a very old city and you’d struggle to find locations that could double as a Victorian London-type city.

EDIT: …damnit. Before someone points out that Cape Town actually IS a pretty old city (the dutch first arrived there in 1652), theres not much left of the old architecture.

Fair enough. Though I imagine it may be easier than trying to make modern London look like Victorian London. I could be wrong about that, I haven’t personally been to South Africa.

So apparently they actually started filming this thing! This casting announcement says they started on Sept 30.

Oh wow, I missed that they had cast a woman as Vetinari. That should be interesting, though there will likely be hell to pay from the fanboys.

Just read a tweet from the Pratchett account:

https://twitter.com/terryandrob/status/1199301665284935680?s=20

Not really a big revelation, just seems like its a first step in distancing themselves from the show.

In case the tweet disappears:

Inspired by NOT based on [#TheWatch]