Discworld weekly police procedural approved by Pratchett

It seems Pratchett’s people are not pleased by The Watch, as they tweeted today a link to Ursula K. Le Guin’s furious review of the TV adaptation of Earthsea

So that’s what throwing shade means.

That is sad to hear, but like I mentioned earlier, confirms my suspicions that this show is not going to be the discworld show we were hoping for.

Reading more, they made CMOT a gang leader. Sure sure people make changes for the medium which sounds fine until you realize they just did it because they thought cmot meant cut throat…

Well it does, but he’s cutting his own throat selling this prime dry-aged sausage inna bun right here!

If there ever was a book that IMO could go to TV basically directly as written, its the Watch series of Discworld. Why mess with it?

Guess anyone who saw these screenshots back in January was too shocked and despressed to share them with the group…

Thanks, but no. That’s not my Discworld, not that I’m surprised.

I can’t even think of who those are supposed to be.

Wait, fauxhawk guy is Sam Vimes? What the fuck?

I think thats the LEAST problematic character of the bunch…

Could be, but I have no clue who the others are supposed to be!

Well, Blondie is Angua, the dude with makeup is “dwarf” Cheery Littlebottom, woman in green is Lady Sybil…

Angua is fine IMO. My only internal image of her is a generic attractive woman. Although I do picture her as a brunette.

Cheery is supposed to look like a stereotypical dwarf including the serious beard, and Sybil should be chunky and bosomy. So they’re pretty far off.

Carrot is recognizable.

Yep that’s fine casting, cosmetically anyway.

I’m pretty sure Angua is supposed to have long, luxurious fur.

Isn’t she also supposed to be very tall?

The era looks wrong to me.

BTW No Nobby or Colon.
CMOThroat is competent and has a gang?

They look ok to me. Not really at all what I imagined reading the books, but then I can’t think of any adaptation where that wasn’t the case.

I just read the source link, Lady Sybil is a vigilante? What the everlasting fuck?

How do you adapt something as widely loved as Discworld in this way and expect it to be successful?

Well, wasn’t there a time before she was into saving swamp dragons, that she was a bit more… Motivated?

Anyway, if they decide to make something more original, I guess the most important question is ‘Will it at least be good’.

A lot can be forgiven, if it’s good.