Dishonored 2 - Nov 2016

I played the latest Thief game some time back but never completed it. It’s difficult for me to articulate why I didn’t click with it beyond saying that I just never felt like the master thief that I was ostensibly playing - not like I did in the earlier games. Even at highest difficulty, I always felt like I had the tools to succeed. With the latest game I just felt like I had a difficult time finding a successful path and executing. But maybe that’s a me thing.

I guess in retrospect I probably liked the first Dishonored better than the sequel - I played through the first game twice so I could try different paths, one high chaos and one low, one using powers and one without. I feel like I’m satisfied with the experience of the second game and don’t need to go back, at least not right away. Still, cool experience and I’m glad I got the chance to try it.

Could it have been the shitty map, unintuitive controls, and constant loading animations?

Wow! Guess there’s no need to dig it out of my backlog then…

I’d still say it’s worth checking out for yourself, especially if you already own it. There have been plenty of games that I’ve enjoyed that were written off by the general public.

I finished this for the first time a few weeks ago, going the no magic route, which made it hard to be as stealthy as I’d have liked. Still fun, though as the games have gone on they’ve become less so IMO. The original was my favorite, followed by 2, and then DotO, which honestly I bailed on at the very end as it was just repetitive by then.

I still almost grab this every time I see it on sale for like $1.99. I reeeealy want to get through it. I never made past the brothel, maybe? Hard to remember.

I haven’t played it either. I probably would be better off replaying the classics or Deadly Shadows, or the fan based expansion Shadows of the Metal Age, a prequel to Thief 2: The Metal Age, or any of the top rated fan missions. The half dozen I played way back when were very very good.

I love the little homage in Dishonored at the Assassin’s hideout. The dialog is word for word lifted from the Thief: The Dark Project tutorial.

I’m sure I’m in the minority but I liked the Thief remake. It was decent. I could never get into the originals.

I had an ambiguous relationship with them. I loved the atmosphere; no game except the System Shocks have caused such a level of tension and even real anxiety like the first Thief game in particular. Mechanically, the games were ok, though I kind of sucked at them. I do remember having fun with the different types of arrows at least.

Played through Thief: The Dark Project on normal and Thief Gold on the highest difficulty but only made it half-way through Thief 2 on a second replay. I kind of loath the ending levels of that game. Garrett the Blacksmith!

The trick is shadow dancing. Steal patrolling guards key and lock them out of areas. Or you can be boring and just knock them out. Nothing quite like holding your breath though as a guard sticks his head into a dark corner of the room where you are standing. Mere inches and still misses.

I am just starting the Death of the Outsider, and I forgot how much I liked the previous two games

Funny, i just reinstalled Dis2 and Death of the Outsider. I didn’t play the latter because I saw how Billie looked at the beginning and felt that I didn’t play Dis2 “correctly”, so to speak. So I’m going to attempt a NG+ playthrough as Emily and have some super-powered fun, make sure I make some “correct” choices, and play through Death at some point.

I forgot Death of the Outsider exists, I guess I should play that next!

Wait wat?

I don’t recall any choices I had to make in the main game to align with Death of the Outsider…

I do remember the character looking different but I don’t remember why.

I found this on a Steam board:

Its complicated because of events in Dishonored 2. In Dishonored 2 she is missing her eye and arm until events in the Crack in the Slab mission. If Emily/Corvo knock Stilton out and stop him from attending the seance, it changes the timeline and Billie has her eye/arm back for the rest of the game.

In the first mission of Death of the Outsider, she has her Arm/Eye because of the changed timeline. However, the first part of the second mission the Outsider changes her state back to what is was before the changed timeline and gives her the Void arm and Prosthetic eye.

This really bugged me because I felt like there was a ‘canon’ version of Dis2 that I missed out on. It’s only a small thing, but it was enough to take me out of Death of the Outsider. Weird, I know.

Ahh I see.

Actually her look changed a lot between Dishonored 1 DLC and Dishonored 2. So much so I didn’t even know who the character even was and had to look it up to figure it out. Oh, that is Daud’s right-hand women. Weird.

The other change that bugged me was the voice actor for the Outsider. The original guy was a lot better.

Playing NG+ and being superpowered from the get-go is freakin’ awesome. Shadow Walk and executing dudes is my new favorite thing.

Seems they went a different way, repeatedly booting Arkane in the nutsack with Deathloop and Redfall. Sucks that amazing modern franchises like Dishonored and Deux Ex are left to lay fallow. It’s one thing not to make an Ultima sequel, that would be a AAAAA++++ production to make sense and everybody who remembers it has trouble going to the bathroom sometimes, but Dishonored wasn’t that long ago.

Deathloop and Redfall were already on that 2020 roadmap too though. So that alone doesn’t mean that they cancelled Dishonored 3.