Disney Buys LucasFilm

Yeah, any reasonably modern streaming solution, either built in TV OS or a box/stick like Amazon, Roku, Chromecast, etc, can play Disney+.

Oops read that wrong, assumed you meant D+ cuz of the current thread. HBO Max is not on Roku currently, but IS on most everything else.

Older TVs/streaming devices might not have either, but it’d have to be fairly old, afaik.

Do you have a console you can run it off of? Playstation and Xbox both have apps

You can watch it on that.

Sorry! I knew about that one but forgot when I made the post.

Not too surprising. Taika has obviously clicked with Filoni and Favreau based on the amount of show work he’s been getting.

Everyone knew Jenkins’ movie was dead awhile ago.

“Disney is very strong, the most powerful brand certainly in family entertainment,” Iger said, adding that when consumers see the live-action Little Mermaid in May, “It’ll remind you just how strong the brand is.”

But he also had frank and interesting comments about Marvel and Star Wars, suggesting that the company is carefully thinking about its approach to those brands moving forward.

“What we have to look at at Marvel is not necessarily the volume of Marvel storytelling, but how many times we go back to the well on certain characters,” Iger said. “Sequels typically work well for us, but do you need a third or a fourth, for instance? Or is it time to turn to other characters? There’s nothing in any way inherently off in terms of the Marvel brand. I think we just have to look at what characters and stories we are mining.”

Star Wars , we made three what we called saga films, which is obviously the successors to George Lucas’ first six. They did very well at the box office — tremendously well as a matter of fact. We’ve made two so-called stand-alones in Rogue One and Solo . Rogue One did quite well, Solo was a little disappointing to us. It gave us pause just to think maybe the cadence was a little too aggressive. And so we decided to pull back a bit. We still are developing Star Wars films. We’re going to make sure that when we make one, that it’s the right one, so we are being very careful there.”

“I think HBO proved that well, you know, in their halcyon days when high-quality programming made a big difference, and not volume,” he added. “And because the streaming platforms require so much volume, one has to question whether that’s the right direction to go, or if you can be more curated, more — I used the word ‘judicious’ a few times — but I guess, more picky about what you’re making, and to concentrate on quality and not volume.”

In other words: It’s really expensive to pay Chris Evans/Hemsworth to be in 10 movies!

I wonder if they’ll cut Tom Holland loose if they haven’t already signed him. I’m sure that is a VERY big contract.

Not to nitpick the general point, but I’m pretty sure that Tom Holland has a contract with Sony, not Marvel. And considering how well his movies have done, they should probably be paying him a lot.

And not to nitpick your nitpick, even while nitpicking, Marvel signs a deal with Sony to pay them lots of money to have Tom Holland appear in their MCU movies.

I’m not questioning whether these actors should get paid a lot. I’m just noting that they do get paid a lot and that could be what Iger is referring to.

I’m gonna derail this thread by talking about Marvel only (SW is dead to me at this point, no I haven’t seen the Mandalorian, and no not gonna see it now I have to catch up to 2 seasons). In hindsight the TV series explosion post-phase-3-but-not-quite-phase-4 is contributing to Marvel fatigue. Some are good, some are middling, but mostly they are just too much. It is cross-over fatigue, like those comic book cross-over event that is so convoluted you have to read every book in the cross-over, but it is 20 books per month. Even FOMO can’t compel me to watch everything. In the end I would just give up altogether.

Iger is right to focus on quality not quantity.

You’re right, I was just thinking about the Spider-Man movies, which are co-financed by Sony and Marvel, but are still Sony movies. But yeah, Tom Holland would have contracts with Disney to make a guest appearance in their movies.

I feel like it’s almost the opposite: With the exception of WandaVision leading into Multiverse of Madness, none of the other series (Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk) have been required viewing for any of the movies. All of the series (and most of the movies) have largely told standalone stories.

Maybe Iger wants all of the series (and movies) to be significant and feel important to the overall story, but I don’t want every movie to be Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Only Moonknight is standalone (doubtful but there is hope), all the others will tie into movies. Falcon into new Cap movie, Loki into Kang, Ms Marvel into the Marvels, and WandaVision already into Dr Strange 2. I’m pretty sure they will fit Kate Bishop and She-Hulk somehow into new movies. The whole point of the Marvel shtick is cross-over (MCU! Universe! Not planet), and they will milk every one of the TV series into anther movie one way or another.

What I mean is, it’s not like a crossover event where you have to read every book (movie/series) in the crossover, because none of the series tie into each other, and only one of the series so far has tied into a movie. You don’t have to rush out and watch all of the series as soon as they come out. WandaVision, Loki, She-Hulk, Hawkeye…you can literally watch those series in any order.

As for the series that tie into movies…again, you don’t need to rush and watch any of the series when they come out (unless you want to). If you’re interested in Guardians 3, you have a few months to watch the Holiday Special before then. Planning to see The Marvels? Then you should watch Ms. Marvel sometime. And it’s at least a year before Captain America 4 comes out, so you can watch Falcon and the Winter Soldier before then. You can pretty much go at your own pace.

This also goes here, too

Fine by me, been kind of hard to keep up.

That’s probably good news for both those franchises.

I’m actually wondering if Disney has actually made a profit on LucasFilm?

They started $4 billion in the hole just by buying it off of Lucas. And there have been some big hits, but a lot of diminishing returns since then, along with a couple of huge losses.

The article specifically says yes.

The company bought Lucasfilm in 2012 for about $4 billion, and recouped its investment in just six years after a lucrative new trilogy of films, along with standalone films such as “Rogue One.”

Keep in mind it’s not just box office with Star Wars, it’s also licensing and merchandising.

Yeah, they get the merchandising now. So there’s the money from the films - which isn’t just box office but all ancillary revenue streams - as well as all of the toylines that go along with those, which still do well.

edit And they got their subsidiary companies; I have a feeling ILM does very well. Sure, a lot of that is just money changing pockets since they probably work on a lot of Disney properties, but they work on other films as well.