District 9

Man, now I’m really hoping there is some teabagging.

I’m really looking forward to this. Looking at the trailers I’m getting a distinctly South African feel. The Multinational United corp has a distinct apartheid security force feel to it and the premise of refugees touches on major current issues with the issues wave after wave of foreign refugees have caused in the townships.

Good stuff.

The movie is actually set in South Africa. I don’t think they’re being shy about the parallels.

Haven’t looked forward to a movie this much in a while. Probably going tomorrow. Yahoo!!

This looks good, but I’m not into gratuitous gore.

I saw it tonight. Liked it a lot, but it was much more of an action movie than I was expecting. My date wasn’t fond of the gore.

Aaaand that’s what I was going to ask today. The wife will definitely not be cool with a lot of gore. Not exactly my favorite thing in the world either. Aside from the gore, is it scary? I don’t even really know what kind of movie it is, other than the trailer is great and the premise sounds awesome.

Is it Starship Troopers gore, or what? People forget how bloody Starship Troopers is.

EXTREMELY MINOR SPOILERS, I GUESS

It’s not really scary. The gore is mostly of the “people-instantly-exploding” variety, and there is a lot of it. Sometimes bits get on the camera lens.

MINOR SPOILERS

It’s an action/chase movie, although the first 30 minutes are mockumentary. It’s not scary (unless you think the aliens themselves are scary-looking, which is possible). The gore is 95% people and aliens exploding/disintegrating due to high-powered alien weaponry. About 5% is something else that would be more of a major spoiler, but is not as graphic as the combat scenes.

District 9 = District 6, also.

Speaking of spoilers, Entertainment Weekly’s gushing story about the movie had what I considered a major spoiler about the plot. Did anyone else read it?

No, and I certainly won’t now.

Regarding people exploding, is it comparable to a certain scene in Cloverfield or to Dr. Manhattan’s exploding people in Watchmen? I’m not much of a gore fan either, but those were pretty mild, mostly because they looked fairly ridiculous.

Frankly I was underwhelmed by the gore. The people who had seen the movie before me made a huge deal out of it, so I was expecting some kind of hip-deep slog through the realms of entrails, but there really wasn’t much to it. A lot of people explode, a few limbs fall here and there, blood splatters on stuff, yadda yadda yadda. It was cool to see an alien blaster actually have a massive effect on someone, but it was almost cartoonish. I would compare it to Fallout 3 to some degree.

Then again, gore doesn’t bother me much, so I’m maybe not one to go by. I will say that I found the Achilles tendon slicing in Hostel to be pretty cringe-inducing but didn’t bat an eye during District 9, if that helps at all.

I remember being a little pissed off after I read it, but I’ve luckily forgotten almost all of the article so can’t remember any spoilers.

That does help actually, thanks. I find realistic person to person trauma harder to watch than a computer special effect, so this shouldn’t bother me at all.

They gravity gun bit was rather funny.

Not that it matters to me, but as a point of reference, is it 300-type gore?

Not really. It’s more lots of people exploding completely into little bits. I can’t really think of a movie to compare the gore to to be honest. Maybe someone else can help you out with a comparison.

Awesome movie though, I absolutely loved it.