Do—or did—you drink milk with meals?

• Yes as a child, no as an adult
  • Yes as a child, yes as an adult
  • No as a child, no as an adult
  • No as a child, but yes as an adult

0 voters

In my family, all the kids frequently drank milk with their meals at home. Dinner often, lunch sometimes too. Not every meal, but it was sort of the default.

I’m not really thinking about breakfast here.

I enjoyed it and still do, so I still do it as an adult often enough that my wife thinks it’s “weird”. She might be right! I just never questioned it because it’s how I grew up and no one ever said “okay, stop drinking milk now, you’re a grown-up”.

So just how weird am I? Are there dozens of us?

It would be interesting for people to point out where they grew up, to see if it’s a regional thing.

My parents had just moved to the US (mostly west coast) from England before having me. It’s definitely not an English thing.

Good point, I’ve lived in the southeastern United States my whole life, but my parents are from Pennsylvania.

Well, I still enjoy a glass of milk every once in a while, but its not something I associate with a meal of any kind. So I’m not sure I really qualify for the options on the list, but to answer the last question: I don’t think its weird, but haven’t heard of many other people that drink it as well. Quite a few of my friends only have long life milk (of the kind that does NOT require refrigeration), and that stuff tastes horrible and is only barely acceptable in a coffee, so that might explain them not drinking it…

And for what its worth, I grew up in South Africa in a german household. I don’t recall my brother or mother really drinking milk, but my dad did every once in a while, so for me it wasn’t something odd.

BTW The whole “milk and cookies” concept was only something I picked up in American media.

More to the point, most non-caucasian (well, and non-South Asian) people develop lactose intolerance as they age.

Northern Europe is the home of the milk drinker.

When I was a kid I was like 24/7 gimme milk plz , now I am mostly drinking iced tea all day. With the occasional glass of milk with cookies/pie/donuts.

For those who haven’t been or aren’t milk drinkers, what do you do for your Calcium and Vitamin D intake. Multivitamins? My family drinks a lot of milk, we go through about 3-4 gallons a week. I personally only have a few glasses a week now but supplement that with a daily calcium/vitamin D gummy as well as a daily multivitamin.

I never drink milk unless I’m eating cookies or chocolate cake, which is a very rare occurrence. In fact I buy almond milk now for my coffee and rare cereal. Grew up in the Northeast.

I do take a multivitamin for the hell of it but really people shouldn’t be concerned about vitamins other than perhaps D.

How is that? Does it froth?

I would say I don’t drink milk anymore, but I’m still good to drink a whole half gallon of chocolate milk if an opportunity presents.

Growing up in the Midwest, I had it with at least one meal a day.

I eat plenty of cheese and yoghurt so dairy is still in my life.

I primarily drink coffee over ice so I’ve never tried it. It tastes fine to me but I bought skim before that so I don’t have particularly high standards.

Also almond milk lasts forever in the fridge. Like, months. I’ve never seen it go bad.

I’ve played with various non-dairy milks in coffee, and personally, oat milk is the only one I deliberately buy with any frequency.

I despise oat milk. Tastes nasty to me. Almond is fine as is soy. Diff’rent strokes.

This is me… I am Caucasian but developed severe (sudden onset) lactose intolerance at age 37. I don’t eat any dairy at all now. Evidently, viruses often can trigger lactose intolerance and/or viruses in adults.

That sucks. At least you can just take a little pill and eat dairy, it’s the gluten intolerant people that’re truly screwed.

I think it’s a solved problem now (especially as there are coffee-centric brands), but I’ve had almond milk that doesn’t seem to fully dissolve in coffee, no matter how much I stir. Like, I’m drinking black coffee and then there’s a layer of almond milk at the bottom.

I’m used to Chinese-style soy milk, so all the western versions just taste off to me.

Pretty much all the non-dairy milks have versions that fancy coffee shops buy that tend to froth passably well (sometimes they’re even marketed as “barista” versions). I’m think it might be some additive (xanthan gum or something), but it seems like it works ok.

I love real Chinese soy milk, warm with crullers for breakfast Taiwan style, but it’s different stuff. Western fake milk (filk?) is designed to replace cow juice.

Yeah almond has no problem integrating with coffee now.

Hell, a lot of “Heavy Whipping Cream” sold in the US has those same additives in it because people are too lazy to exert the extra 20% of elbow grease to whip unmolested milk cream.

Growing up, milk was the thing you drank with breakfast, unless you were a monster like dad and drank orange juice (ugh, so sour! Also, foolishly, I always seemed to brush teeth before breakfast in my school routine schedule, so doubly no on OJ), and maybe had with dessert, and that’s persisted for me. If I’m having pancakes or pie or poptarts, milk’s pretty great. But anything even marginally savory, like bacon or eggs or any kind of lunch/dinner just sounds like it’d be awful with milk.

Grew up southern US, dad’s also southern, mom’s Guatemalan and was raised on powdered milk, which I’ve had, and which is genuinely one of the worst things humanity has ever inflicted on itself.

Amen. My mom went through a frugal kick growing up and inflicted powdered on us. There were tears.