Do We Need Rock Band 2 This Year?

That’s what pisses me off. Between the game and DLC, I already paid a shitload of money to HMX. They need to make some improvements soon, rather than charging me for another game. At least fucking Activision is using our ideas! (How well they’ll carry them out, is another issue.)

Activision isn’t patching them into their last game either. You’re being ridiculous.

Why, I disagree. And how the hell do you think Activision could patch new instruments and an additional two tracks for each song in GH3? Now who’s being ridiculous?

I can’t see paying the same amount for RB2 with RB1 still fresh in everyones mind. There is no way I would be willing to spend money on 4 more instruments, maybe release 2 versions of RB. One with all the instruments at the higher price, and another without the instruments but not at full retail ($35-$40). I also agree that they would also need to tie it into RB 1 and let me have access to all the songs, included and downloaded available to be used by it to make me want to buy it.

I suppose for me the main parts would be that 1, I already paid a ton for the game, which I love, so there would need to be some damn compelling reason for me to do that again. 2 given the changes they’ve made already with updates, they better have a good explanation for why they couldn’t do some of that stuff with a patch, even a large one. I’m not buying another Rock Band for years I hope, I’m happy to pay for DLC, but don’t slay the golden goose by shoving an unnecessary purchase at us is all I ask. Maybe a new disk with new songs and other updates, but if the hardware doesn’t work with it, this will be the last Rock Band I buy.

Of course after saying all that, I can’t imagine Harmonix would be that stupid. Right?

You agree with me. So welcome!!

Would they be so stupid? Probably not, but they’re so damn secretive and won’t even confirm what they’re working on. RB has been out six months and much more COULD have been done by now.

You really expect us to believe you totally bought into some line you heard about RB being a platform and you haven’t already gotten more than your money’s worth out of your existing purchases? That’s what you’re saying? That the Rock Band you bought and enjoyed isn’t worth the money you’ve spent so far, and won’t be until they offer an unprecedented level of post-release updates that you’ve been counting on all this time?

I agree, it’s idiocy.

I’m fine with being charged for “another game” (eg, Rock Band 2 this November) since it will include the equivalent of ~50 songs worth of DLC at $1 per song. And that’s before you factor in the “cost” of new features (online world tour), etc.

DLC. That plus peripheral compatibility with Rock Band. Hey, it’s possible, even though it will never happen. Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

You’re just being super whiny. You trumpet all of these Guitar Hero innovations, but guess what? You can’t play them now, you can only flap your gums about how awesome they are. I would expect that Harmonix will have a lot of changes in the pipe for RB2 – and any speculation about how that makes your RB1 purchases obsolete is just that, speculation.

Oh bullshit! You’re totally putting words in my mouth. I say this:

HMX:

1. How about another patch incorporating some of the MANY improvement ideas your loyal fans have spent much time and effort on your forums writing about? Oh, and those improvements were not specifically for RB2, but how to improve the current game.

2. HMX, how do you feel about Activision reading your forums and actually using many of those same ideas that we, your loyal customers, would like to see in Rock Band?

3. HMX, why you so slow?

4. I will apologize profusely to HMX if they come out with said improvements, before GH4 is released. After all, you gonna let a lesser competitor get the drop on you?

5. Zeppelin. ACDC. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

Wouldn’t it make sense for them to come out swinging this fall with a Rock Band 2 that improves on all the various flaws of Rock Band and has tracks from some of the Big Name bands that everybody is praying for (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC)? I’d see that as a “knocking-one-out-of-the-park” situation for Harmonix. Remember, they’re still in active competition with the Guitar Hero franchise.

Right now Rock Band has got to account for a sizable chunk of XBox Live’s DLC service. It’s probably the most prominent content on the service. Between that and EA’s muscle, I’m sure they can probably work something out with MS to get the Live backend to work how they want.

Also, they could probably add the ability to slightly modify the sound (a pinch of extra reverb, chorus, wah, etc.) of the guitar and bass tracks depending on the exact instrument you choose. That would add a bit more of a unique/customization feel to the game.

AC/DC doesn’t even allow sampling, good luck with that.

That is why there are money hats. Worked for noted greedheads Metallica, didn’t it?

I don’t need a Rock Band 2. The one I have now works well enough and gets played regularly by myself and my friends. I prefer DLC to a new disc primarily because, despite only be charged $60 for 50 some odd songs (about $1.20 per song), there is no guarentee that I’ll like even a single one of those songs on that disc. When it all comes down to it if I had gotten 5 songs off that disc that I truly enjoy I’ll have essentially payed $12 per song since I doubt I’d be playing the other songs anyways. With DLC, I can choose which songs I want and don’t want and therefor I only ever play songs that I enjoy.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

On a side note, however, I’d totally dig a new drum set like GHIVs. Maybe some attachments or other method? I don’t know they can figure it out, I’ll just do the buying part.

Armchair developing is easy. With very few exceptions, they have offered at least three new tracks every week since launch. They may have had plenty ready to go before Rock Band launched, but at this point it’s clear they’re still very dedicated to continue providing content at this rate, and have hardly abandoned the game. So it’s clear the reason they haven’t put out a new patch isn’t that they’ve just left the game to fend for itself and had no intention of continuing to support it. If you loyal fans are whining on their forums, then it’s also clear the reason they haven’t put out a new patch isn’t because it didn’t occur to them.

So we’re left with HMX are assholes who hate you, or they have a good reason to have not patched it yet. Maybe some of the things you want just aren’t technically practical as patches to the existing game. Go ahead, armchair develop some more and tell me how wrong I am. Maybe they really are holding out for Rock Band 2, which is totally legitimate. Your first point is nothing but whining.

What? Is this even a real question? Harmonix, how do you feel? Does it make you sad? Response time is a factor in this test!

Relative to what? When was the last time you patched Rock Band? You think you have the big picture and understand all of the factors that go into deciding when and if a patch will be released?

They care about your apology about as much as they care about your whining.

Hey good point, they probably just forgot to put those in the game!

[quote=“Midnight Son,post:50,topic:44409”]
Oh bullshit! You’re totally putting words in my mouth. I say this:

HMX:

If you haven’t caught onto the fact that video game series are an iterative process, then I don’t know what to tell you. They have offered much better post release support than anyone could have hoped for, going far beyond what any reasonable person should expect from a modern video game company. I don’t get your bizarre sense of entitlement about this – you bought Rock Band, you love it, and you have gotten an insane amount of pleasure from it.

I’m curious what you’re talking about specifically. It’s pretty naive to think that Neversoft couldn’t have independently arrived at any ideas being offered on Rock Band’s site. It’s also possible, of course, that people were asking for the same things at GuitarHero.com (or do you read that, too?).

If you haven’t caught onto the fact that video game series are an iterative process, then I don’t know what to tell you. They have offered much better post release support than anyone could have hoped for, going far beyond what any reasonable person should expect from a modern video game company. I don’t get your bizarre sense of entitlement about this – you bought Rock Band, you love it, and you have gotten an insane amount of pleasure from it.

I’m curious what you’re talking about specifically. It’s pretty naive to think that Neversoft couldn’t have independently arrived at any ideas being offered on Rock Band’s site. It’s also possible, of course, that people were asking for the same things at GuitarHero.com (or do you read that, too?).

The impression I got from the Harmonix folks was that they’re sticking with Rock Band for a while, but they could also
have kept quiet to avoid being lynched by 500+ Europeans ;)

Damn right is is! I really don’t give a shit what excuses you come up with. Somebody around here has to be an asshole consumer who wants a better product. I can do that.

Sticky thread. Read all 991 replies and get back to me. Rock Band and the GH series are now my favorite obsession. Can you tell?