Do you bicycle? A cycling thread I guess

While on vacation in western Maine I took an 18 mile ride through rolling countryside dotted with farms. At one old farmhouse situated in the middle of the roof was an observatory! A small white dome with a slit that opens up. I would have taken a picture but this is Trump country and I didn’t want some conspiracy theory farmer pointing his shooting iron at me thinking I was from the government.

But I want one of those.

Just crashed on a test ride of a $5000 Specialized Diverge. There was a lip from the pavement to a parking lot due to construction I didn’t see. Fell over, took a gouge out of my hand and banged up my knee pretty good.

Cost me $150 to cover the damage, which was probably kind of them since the shifters got messed up.

Even stupider was I don’t even want that bike, I was just seeing how that size frame fit.

Edit: just realized I am a lot more messed up than I thought. Can’t lift my arm without shoulder pain. Neck is sore too.

Wishing you a quick recovery @LeeAbe

Thanks @orald. My pride is hurt the most. That was really stupid and I know better. Just riding in an area I wasn’t used to with lots of traffic and wasn’t thinking.

Hope you feel better @LeeAbe.

I did a 20 mile ride today after doing my “regular” 10 mile ride yesterday. And I’m not in a puddle on the floor. Progress!

I have usually been pretty good about not over doing it on a bike. Plus, it’s usually easy to get back with a lot of coasting if nothing else. Except there was this one time in WY. I rode out on this flat road, wind to my back for 30 miles out to this gas station. Except it was WY, and the wind is horrible. It was great going out, but it made the ride back horrible. I didn’t have any money or food on me. I completely ran out of energy. I had to get off and lie down in the grass for 30 minutes and then walk the bike up hills (I had to take off my shoes because they were road shoes with massive Speedplay cleats). It was miserable, but a lesson learned.

Congrats on the extra distance! It gets easier and easier.

I am bummed now. Was going for 300 miles this month, and not sure when I can ride again. My shoulder is swelling up. I am hoping a day or two of rest will do it.

Just noticed the bike store gave me a $150 credit for the damages I paid. I am not going to use. I feel horrible for breaking a really nice bike. They said they will just sell it a discount because they can’t get replacement parts. With this market I bet they have no problem selling it.

Stuff like this makes me not want to ride. It was a reminder I can be pretty stupid and cycling is dangerous.

When we were gathering for the ride yesterday I went to pump my tires up and found out the bike shop that sold me the bike and the accessories sold me a pump that doesn’t fit on the valve stems! I had assumed they would pick the correct one given that they seemed fairly competent. Fortunately this wasn’t in the middle of the ride, but would have been pretty maddening if it were.

So I guess I learned what happens when you make assume!

That is your first time filling the tires since you got it? I probably don’t need to, but I fill the tires of my gravel bike before every ride. They are only 50psi and seem to hold the air ok, but it’s easier to check them everyday then get a pinch flat.

Most pumps are interchangeable. You unscrew the nozzle and flip a rubber part around.

On long rides, I do better if I eat frequently and not too much at once. So I try to eat by the clock roughly every 75 to 90 minutes.
On organize century rides, this usually doesn’t fit with the number and placement of rest stops. So I bring some of my own food and supplement it at the rest stops which I need to hit anyway for water and bathroom break.

Seems pretty typical to be trying out a new bike in the area you’re not familiar with, at least for me. Sorry you fell glad you’re OK.

Yeah, that was the first time I had pumped up my tires since purchasing the bike. They were actually pretty low (40 PSI vs 65ish) and after I did it I realized I need to do it much more often!

I actually went out and bought a large pump with a stand and a PSI gauge yesterday afternoon.

This is one of those teeny pumps that clips on to your bike frame, I was wondering if you could reverse the clip but did not see a way to do it. It looks to me like it’s for a Presta valve.

Ha, you were giving your rides some extra resistance for more of a workout!

You should probably check them at least once a week. How often are you oiling the chain? Wet or dry lube?

Surprised you don’t have presta valves on that bike, I haven’t seen anything else on a bike since I was a kid.

I am really hurting today. I won’t be riding/running for at least a week. Really beating myself up over it too.

Cracked 75 miles. Beautiful ride along the coast. Was partly cloudy for a couple of hours which helped. If I can stay healthy I’m feeling good about the Sept. 11 Century. Biking is a dangerous sport so 🤞🏻

Great time too! What’s your training plan for the final month?

I got some wet lube but … uh… have not used it yet. How often should I use it?

Unless you are riding in wet conditions, get dry lube. Wet lube tends to be thicker and will gunk up more. If you are riding in wet conditions use it, because it will keep the water out.

It kind of depends on how much you ride, but I would say oil it once every two weeks. Oil your derailleurs every month or two. If shifting seems rough, try oiling it.

If you ride in dusty conditions, like gravel roads, you need to clean it and oil it more often.

You can sort of tell when it needs oil as well, because you can hear the chain rattling a bit more.

Thanks for all the advice @LeeAbe. It is appreciated.

As it turns out, I have a bad memory. I bought dry lube and not wet lube.

My plan involves four rides per week, three shorter rides and one long steady ride, with two core days in between and one rest day. The shorter rides are hillier rides. The long steady rides are pretty flat and follow the Century route. I’ve been adding 5 miles per week to my long rides. So I plan to top out at an 85 mile long ride two weeks before the Century, then begin tapering.

We also walk the dogs between 4 and 5 miles per day. Taking a two mile walk before riding is a great way to warm up, I find, and I get to watch the sun rise.

Doesn’t leave much time for games or much else besides work, sleep and eating. I’ve been eating a lot. Little drinking, I do miss having cocktails.

Bless you bicycle gods. Sustained my worst injury in two seasons today, a mere wasp sting on my knee as we were both flying along. No crash ensued. Just some grimacing!