Do you make baked potatoes in the microwave or the oven?

Critically important thread! LOL 😂

Not only does that question need to be sorted, but how do you dress that puppy when it’s done?

I’m making one tonight and I need to do it “right”. BBQ Grill is the right answer, but it’s winter so that option is disqualified.

Prick a bunch with a fork, nuke five minutes, spray skin with oil, salt liberally, then bake directly on the rack at 425F for fifteen minutes so the skin gets crispy. Dress with more salt, butter, and sour cream.

If you don’t eat the skin or wrap in aluminum foil you’re an infidel but can just nuke for 7 minutes instead.

If you’ve got an InstantPot, there’s lots of recipes out there.

That’s wet heat, microwave will be faster.

But they come out so fluffy and tender when you cut 'em open…if time is not a factor.

Exactly the same as the microwave, which is much faster. If you don’t eat the skin, heat is heat.

You should though, crispy salty baked potato skin is awesome. Every time someone wraps a potato in tinfoil an angel loses its wings. Unless you’re camping with an open fire then it’s unavoidable.

Oven for me. I will have it with green onions, sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper.

Sometimes I think that’s my fav part if the potato.

I wish I had a never-ending supply of green onions that didn’t go bad 2 days after I buy them. Any tricks on that?

Oven, olive oil, and McCormick steak seasoning. I also like to cube up raw potatoes toss them in salt and McCormick steak seasoning and bake them. Good way to season tatter tots, or pork chops too.

You will never find a better roasted potato recipe than this. Kenji’s magnum opus, and that’s a high bar. I’d prefer these to triple fried in duck fat.

Wow. That’s practically a dissertation in that recipe. Learning a lot!

Kenji doesn’t mess around!

Thats going on the menu for dinner this week, maby tomorrow.

I rub the potato in olive oil, salt it very liberally, jam some holes in it, then nuke for about 4-5 mins depending on size, rotate, then 2-4 more minutes. Comes out great.

Do you make baked potatoes in the microwave or the oven?

REPORTED

Air fryer (yeah, yeah, it’s a fast convection oven)

We all expect crispalicious pics!

Ooooh, would my toaster oven (with convection) be better than the regular microwave? I’m usually team microwave.

The microwave is a great tool for cooking. Despite its bad rep, it is actually a pretty essential piece of gear even for serious cooking.

I use it a lot for potatoes, just as @stusser says–nuke then bake. Cuts down cook time remarkably. Works for air-frying as well; parcook the fries in the microwave then air-fry for a quicker prep.

Ultimately, though, I end up putting potatoes either in the oven or frying them even if I start them with a nuke. Crispy crispy crispy.