Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker, Thirteenth Doctor

This has been a very fun season for me so far; highly recommended for those who haven’t kept up but still have an interest in the show.

I haven’t kept up, so thanks, maybe I’ll give it another try soon.

I have this season piled up on the DVR, but the lack of anyone talking about the show is … disheartening.

I really enjoyed it and appreciated the long arc vs. the more episodic feel of last season; I think the quality was a lot more consistent because of it. That said while dodging more low points, I sadly think it also didn’t have quite as many highs as some previous seasons. Overall, certainly worth watching.

With me it’s the other way round. I loved the first Whittaker season after suffering through pretty much all of the Moffat seasons (I didn’t like the Matt Smith episodes and Capaldi just got into his own with the last seasons) and was so glad about the playful style of season 11. It reminded me of classic Doctor Who, (Tom Baker etc.), traveling through space and time, having adventures without being the most important person in the universe (this is what soured the previous seasons for me: the all importance of the doctor). Season 12 leaves this concept again which made most of the episodes a lot weaker for me. Also: The relationship between doctor and master was way more interesting with Missy.

I kinda shrugged at the whole revelation… maybe its something, maybe its not.
But I LOL at that ending bit - put a great big smile on my face. Can’t wait for the Dr to wriggle out of that on New Years!

Too true. I haven’t enjoyed the Chibnall seasons and thus wasn’t expecting much.
I finally figured I need to watch the rest of it just clear it from my backlog… And it just seemed like a bunch of gobblydeegook to me. I mean thats basically norm for Doc Who, but it still used to feel at least fun and epic, but I just can’t get into this show anymore and the lack of discussion here seems to confirm that I’m not the only one.

Reckon I’m out until the next showrunner comes along, and I specifically say showrunner, as I have no problem with Jodie Whitaker or a woman doctor! (No need to dump my criticism of the latest iteration in with the crying fanbois who hate females.)

PS - Now that I think on it, Moffats era was criticized with gobblydeegook teasing / nonresolution / misdirection, but at least it had pace and was FUN. Chibnalls version has the same problems minus the pacing, fun and interesting character arcs for the companions (who I still haven’t connected with).

On more positive news, there are now a lot of old Who on bluray and the prices are finally coming down to $40 per season range.

I’m not really interested in full seasons, but I did end up buying a few of the “missing” Doctor Who stories that they have reconstructed using full or partial animation: The Tenth Planet, which was the first Cyberman episode and Doctor 1’s death; Power of the Daleks (completely animated), which was the 1st episode of Doctor 2 and one of only 2 Dalek stories he had; The Moonbase, a 2nd Doc Cyberman story, and Shada, the 4th Doctor’s missing season finale by Douglas Adams. Couple more done and on the way too.

I was not a big fan of the revelation especially now the doctor not being originally male now the doctor has what over 1,000 incarnations and rassilon and omega are bye bye

Yep, aside from the classic Who, the Complete David Tenant Collection is currently $24.99 on Amazon & Best Buy as is Season 11.

Hopefully, the older seasons follow suit and drop from the current prices (though they’re still good prices, but $20 to $25 is a no-hesitation buy for a season of a show for me; above that I have to think on it hard). I missed out on the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years.

Sorry just stating how I feel then again I shouldn’t be sorry I’m just sticking to classic who from now on

Having grown up during the Sylvester McCoy years, I’m not sure you missed much.

By the way happy to be on this forum

Welcome!
As you can see, I was also not a fan of the finale, though I don’t mind the male/female thing. The fact that the doc is now billions of years old(er) than we thought and has a gazillion iterations is a bit strange.

I guess Chibnall really wanted to get away from the timelords and create a whole new mythology of what was behind that rift and what the species the doc REALLY is.

I am done with this era after that but at least I can enjoy the classics

There are a couple of excellent (and necessary) Sylvester McCoy episodes. But overall, yeah, Ace was a loser. Colin Baker’s period was just sorta “meh” though he did righteous anger wonderfully.

Presumably no one ever got around to writing a series bible for Doctor Who, eh? Because it seems like every show runner feels the need to retcon what ever previous show runner established, and as with so many things with this (sometimes funny, sometimes moving, often infuriating) show, the result is a lack of consistency, a lack of stakes, and a fatal undermining of the universe in which it’s supposed to exist.

Theme music mashup.

I have to admit I haven’t watched last season, I figured I’d get around to it, but just haven’t felt like it.

But the New Years special sure looks great, also Captain Jack!

Well, I loved the new opener. Great fun.