Doctor Who: The Capaldi thread

That was one hell of a finale, plain and simple. Looking forward to next season (and the Christmas episode) soooo much.

This is the first time in years that I’m having trouble remembering which episodes I didn’t like instead of which ones I did. The season openers, the underwater base, the Zygon pair, and this finale trio have all been (on the whole) excellent. I’m so glad Capaldi had good things to work with this year.

And I also can’t wait for the holiday special, in all its sonic-y goodness.

Michele Gomez all the way. The Doctor already regenerated into a form from his past in Capaldi. Just let Gomez take over after Peter decides to move on, damn it.

She’s way too good as a villain to be wasted on a good character. She’ll not turn good, thankyouverymuch.

Hey, so a bit of a tangent, I want to go back and watch a few of the ‘best of the best’ episodes (particularly ones with weeping angels) instead of rewatching from the beginning.

What are the favourites of you guys?

I would avoid any of the weeping angels episodes beyond Blink, to be honest. Also just for the sake of fun, try to watch all the regeneration episodes when a new actor takes on the role.

Also, anything with Missy and anything with Strax.

My favorites (off the top of my head):

Dalek Eccelston

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances Eccelston

Human Nature/The Family of Blood Tennant

Blink Tennant

Love and Monsters Tennant

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit Tennant

All of Season 4 (I loved Donna Noble…sue me)

The Beast Below Smith

The Lodger Smith

Victory of the Daleks Smith

But I’m sure there’s a bunch of episodes I’m missing.

And I didn’t include any Capaldi because I’m not a big fan of the stories from the last two seasons. At least in comparison with the past seasons. But the latest season was much better, I admit.

Thanks. It’s a good start. I have a lot of tv to watch, but thought I would pepper in some Dr. Who ‘good’ episodes amongst my other series. Last couple of seasons are still quite fresh in my mind, so no need to revisit those.

I would highlight Silence of the Library/Forest of the Dead as by far the best pair of episodes in Donna’s run. (Although the Doctor Donna is pretty close.)

Definitely watching both of those. Two of my favourites.

Assuming you’re not new to the show? Hmm (I’m used to the “How do I get my friend/wife/whomever hooked on the show?” questions).

Darn tough question for me, but at least liking the weeping angels helps. These aren’t all my favorites, but it’s kind of a Weeping Angels collection mixed with The Silence (the other “creepy” enemy) you can sort of follow to stick with the same kind of feeling:

Blink
Silence of the Library/Forest of the Dead (two parter; not weeping angels, but a nice lead-in for River)
The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone (two-parter)
The Lodger (Funny, but with an indirectly menacing enemy)
The Impossible Astronaut (with webisode!)/Day of the Moon
The Doctor’s Wife Another excellent, somewhat light-hearted bit
A Good Man Goes to War
Let’s Kill Hitler
The Girl Who Waited (neither enemy, but a similar bleak vibe)
The God Complex (minor appearance, but with some neat tie-ins … including cloister bells)
Closing Time (Humor break with an important end that connects to the rest of the list)
The Wedding of River Song (with webisode!)
Asylum of the Daleks (neither enemy, but creepy WITH soufflés!)
The Angels Take Manhattan (make sure to watch the webcast “P.S.” after this show)
The Name of the Doctor (Great Intelligence time)
The Night of the Doctor/The Day of the Doctor (not Weeping Angels, but a good buildup to …)
The Time of the Doctor (… which has them)
The Mummy on the Orient Express
Flatline
Heaven Sent (two weeks ago, neither enemy but first of a great two-parter)
Hell Bent (last week’s episode, minor appearance but great watching)

Watched Blink last night. So very good.

For some reason, I thought the Angels were an ‘old series’ enemy and didn’t realize that Blink was the first appearance of them.

Tonight, it is time for some Library / Forest of the Dead. I know there were some suggestions for some Eccleston episodes, but I couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger on them last night. Something about that doctor rubs me the wrong way. Though, it has been so long, it could just be a clouded memory of him.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances is essential Eccleston.

He’s definitely the best actor to have played the Doctor, and I like that he got new Who started off on the right foot, with the Doctor being slightly aloof, bit of an asshole, all that.

The above pair of episodes, apart from being brilliant Who, also feature the first (& best) appearance of Captain Jack Hartniss.

I’m with you, not a fan of Eccleston. Even the much lauded Empty Child/Doctor Dances fell flat for me on that account.

I personally love The Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline from last season. Excellent one-offs, progresses overall season plot without being an “event”.

The Doctor’s Wife also needs to be on the best of list, somewhere. Gaiman’s second episode was a disappointment though.

Thinking back on those, I’d agree - they fall into the “creepy enemy” category and would be a good fit in the list I posted.

The Doctor’s Wife also needs to be on the best of list, somewhere. Gaiman’s second episode was a disappointment though.

Loved that episode. Doesn’t quite fit the theme, but it’s great.

As an aside, my.personal favorite is Vincent and the Doctor, but that’s also not quite in line here, either.

I totally agree about the Trenzalore thing and was similarly conflicted about the time line in the penultimate episode this season but my god did it pay off in the finale. That moment where she is asking him how long and he’s being evasive is among the more emotionally powerful scenes Moffet’s given us.

Ah, you’re in for a treat. Definitely two of my favorite episodes. The Girl Who Waited is another one that I just absolutely love.

It’s strange though. I used to love Tennant as the doctor, then hated when Matt Smith joined. Then grew to like Matt Smith and hated when Capaldi joined. Now going back to Tennant, he is almost too ‘goofy’ (well, at least, in Blink where he explains stuff as ‘timey-whimey’).

This. She was the best companion for me.

Also, if these haven’t already been mentioned:

• Father’s Day (Eccleston’s run) was a very touching episode, loved that one.

• The Doctor’s Wife (Smith, written by Neil Gaiman) - (saw this was mentioned already, great episode)

I recently tried watching some older Eccelston episodes again as I felt the same as you about his portrayal.

I still don’t like him that much.

I have to second (or third, or fourth) this suggestion: Donna Noble is the best companion, sure, but the entire season holds together as a great character arc. If you’re not sold on Donna Noble after the first three episodes, then I don’t know what to say.

Seriously, the last two episodes of this season are the best doctor who I have seen in since Tennant’s run. I have now changed my opinion of Capaldi. He’s a terrific actor he just needs better material.