Document shredding

What are good rates for local document shredding service? I have more than I care to shred myself (lazy), less than a full car trunk load. Do they charge by the pound? Note it’s all paper. No credit cards, discs, etc. So many of the services I look at seem to be for bulk customers only. The fact that there are no prices online is a bad sign IMO. I know they want to send me spam but…

How many bankers boxes worth of documents do you have?

I imagine it’s sort of a balancing act. It’s going to cost them to go to your place and collect your stuff. The more you have, the lower the quote they’ll give you.

I would say maybe four paper grocery bags full. I am willing to go to them. Stupid question on my part, sorry.

My town has a community shred day a couple times a year, do you have any near you?

You’re in college, any chance you could sneak some into the recycling stations there?

Our local disposal/garbage place offers that service. I think a small amount is actually free or you can pick -up prepaid bags or drop of already ready bags. You might call your local place to see if they offer those kinds of services.

If you can’t find a free option, I took all my shit to The UPS Store and had it shredded. I think I paid around $75 for four bankers boxes or so.

Pretty sure all the Staples/Office Depot-type stores offer shredding as well.

A metal can and gasoline does the trick too.

Yeah, wouldn’t burning it be a faster cheaper option? Know anyone with an empty oil drum?

There is an old metal fire pit thing in the yard but I think it is rusted/lopsided.

Some universities host shredding days too.

@YakAttack Do you have a fire pit?

What does that matter?

I think it may have collapsed completely. (Not that the surrounding grass could catch fire in a wet January.)

I’m not sure if the community has a shredding event. I searched and could not find any mention online, but I do not read the local paper. Also not sure about the university. I did not think of checking there. I don’t spend much time on campus since it’s more of a commuter school.

[edit]

Okay, there is a local event. They dispose of medications too, which is great since I have been accumulating lots of samples and stuff. But it was in October and I don’t think they’ve scheduled the one for 2020 yet. I guess one disadvantage of not using Facebook is that you miss a lot of these things.