Does everyone hate The Big Bang Theory?

Yeah, that was a great moment that really impressed me. I had no idea he was so talented in that area. This season’s scavenger hunt episode was also amazing. The rest of the season has ranged from mediocre to good. I’m still a big fan.

Does The Flintstones give the same people, the same problem?

Sometimes there’s a difference between a joke being witty and a joke being esoteric. I’m guessing that he’s referring more to the latter.

But there’s a laugh track so everybody knows when something funny happened.

Yeah, but the Flintstones didn’t need it.

They had to wait for tape to be invented.

I need to get an “Aloof, but effective” T-shirt.

-Gil102

Well that disproves my theory about tape not being invented…but wait a minute. I bet there is just a bird in there with a piece of rock and a chisel.

That’s an 8mm camera, no tape involved. Consider yourself vindicated.

When reached for comment, the bird responded “Eh, it’s a living.”

I just wish there was a tv show that portrayed scientists as something other than magicians (CSI and it’s ilk) or quasi evil ( like Breaking bad) or socially inept (big bang theory maybe?). But I guess it wouldn’t be entertaining if people were just portrayed as normal or boring…Seriously there’s really nothing unusual about being a practicing scientist except for the high education requirements and relatively low pay (for most anyway…)

Regenesis is in the magician category, basically, but overall has a more professional vibe than most shows with scientists on TV.

Should I be worried that I don’t really see either Howard or Leonard as socially inept? They look, more or less, normal to me. Does this mean that I am, indeed, a socially inept scientist?

(FWIW, Sheldon, while socially inept, is also somewhat realistic. I’ve met folks in Academia like him, multiple times. Except, y’know, they don’t have his ongoing immunity to being socialized. But they definitely start off Sheldon-esque.)

The show has matured over the years too. Leonard and most especially Howard were portrayed in season 1 as barely functional, socially.

In the past couple seasons they are super-nerdy if and only if the plot requires it of them or for a quick Howard’s-Mom-related punchline.

Yes, the show has different versions of “socially awkward.”

Leonard is obviously the most “normal.” His awkwardness basically just consists of being a geek, and being an adult who likes comic books, video games, etc. I’ve had these discussions before, and I know many of you disagree with this, but in the world I live in, that still is considered “weird” by some.

Howard is Leonard, but with the additional issue of trying to hard. He’s the geek who was (until they married him off) way too overly aggressive with women in particular awkward ways. At the same time, he actually does socialize (and wants to socialize), even if he routinely makes social errors.

Sheldon is the one who is essentially the autistic caricature. He not only has extreme difficulty socializing, he is actively (for the most part) asocial. He is the “so complete wrapped up in his own world, he completely misses/doesn’t care about social cues from others” geek.

Raj fits in there somewhere, but with the additional, “He’s a foreign, so aren’t his accent and mannerisms additionally hilarious,” spin.

So basically, the show has a continuum of geek sociability. They have even decided to link this with the various character’s significant others. The least socially maladroit gets the “best” woman (Penny), second least gets the second best woman (Bernadette), most socially maladroit gets the “worst” woman (Amy), and again, who the hell knows where Raj fits (he doesn’t get a consistent significant other to this point).

What happened to the cute weirdo that Raj was dating? Did I miss the episode where she dumps him or something?

Apparently, you have missed the episode. Raj keeps pushing Lucy to meet his friends and hang out. She then gets freaked out and breaks up.

I’d take Bernadette over Penny any day. She’s smarter, cuter, more loyal, and appreciates her guy for what he is. No contest.

Except she takes no shit from Howard. Seems like every 3-4 shows she is setting him straight on something. Of course she is married to Howard.