Doesn't Hand of Fate 2 deserve its own thread? Probably!

Alright, got back to 100%, although one person beat me to it. Ugh, when you’re second place, you’re just the first loser. :-(

Aaanyway, a dev stated on the Steam forum that there’s one last DLC pack coming before the end of the year and that should be it for planned updates:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/456670/discussions/0/1735468061764922027/

The Switch update, with the Combat Reforged add-on, finally drops Friday. Includes Goblins and Shadows.

Dunno if there’s anything else to the update.

I’ve been playing on switch and the combat seems very difficult. I have a lot of trouble blocking. Certainly harder than HoF1 on PS4 was.

The combat reforged update changed fighting significantly. As far as I’m concerned it’s now harder, but here are some new tips:

• If it’s not something you already know, you can now dodge out of green attacks, which you couldn’t do in HoF1 and before the patch.

• bash now stuns enemies, which also take 50% more damage. So a single enemy is toast: just bash, attack, bash, attack…

• Supposedly if your bash meter is partially filled the bash lasts longer than when it’s empty but I haven’t seen much of a difference.

I’ve mostly been holding off because I’m mediocre at the combat and I knew this update was coming.

If the combat remains difficult, this update also has “apprentice mode” which helps those “who want to experience the story”. In other words, a nice baby mode to make you rule in combat.

Free face paint cosmetic DLC:

Consoles will get it with the last DLC pack in december.

MOAR DLC NOW!

I think you get to shoot guns. Nice.

Dang I totally should have picked up this game + exp when it was on sale < kicks self >

There’s a winter sale coming up. I hope to pick it up my own self.

I’ve been trying to reconcile myself to just playing on apprentice, because the combat is infuriatingly difficult for me. The third challenge (the Priestess) is basically an insurmountable hurdle if I leave the combat on the default setting. I sincerely don’t understand how people can find that playable, but then people kept telling me Shadow of Mordor was “easy” and it took me forever to get decent at that. I think never having played an Arkham game for any length of time makes these sorts of combat systems much harder for me to grok.

It’s frustrating, because I feel like the card game is balanced around the combat being challenging, and I’m worried that turning on apprentice will therefore fundamentally wreck the overall experience. Though, frankly, even with Apprentice on I barely scraped through the third challenge, so maybe I’m worried for no reason.

I love the card game, though, and I suspect leaving it on default combat I’ll never get anywhere with it and inevitably give up in controller-breaking frustration in short order. Gah, I’m probably making this too hard. I’m usually fine with turning down the difficulty in action games (I broadly suck at anything twitchy that’s not an FPS) - it’s the interplay with the card layer that worries me here.

Well, I beat the fourth challenge (the Empress) relatively handily without having to invoke apprentice mode at all - maybe I’m getting better?

Can anyone give me a sense of the combat difficulty curve here? Obviously (as in the first game) you get new and better tools and equipment, and you gain more and more ability to give yourself an advantage through the deck aspects of the game. Does the ramp-up in combat difficulty overwhelm those advantages, or is “competent” enough to get the job done throughout if you’re a smart deck builder?

Combat does become quite a bit harder after the first few missions, even when accounting for all the extra equipment you get. There’s just so much more enemies per fight and harder ones too.

The penultimate mission is pretty excessive in that regard, IMO.

I find the quick enemies really annoying, especially when you have a timer to defeat a certain number of them.

Thanks for the information, though that’s distressing. Of course, I guess if it gets hard enough apprentice might become an acceptable challenge. I have a feeling that’s always going to feel unsatisfying, though. Maybe I should pull the DLC off my wishlist after all…

Yeah, I was just trying to do the Emperor and that raider fight seems completely hopeless. I get down to one or two thieves left and time out.

I thought some recent patch made this less annoyingly difficult. I guess that’s not the case?

I didn’t play it enough before to be able to tell you. It may just be that I’m not very good at twitchy action games.

Well, as far as I’m concerned it’s harder now, but maybe I got too used to the old system, not that I think it’s ever been annoyingly difficult either way.

There is an easy mode now, though.

Yes, but it’s too easy (mostly due to the hyper-inflated weapon damage), at least early on, which has the effect of rendering the card game pointless. What I wouldn’t give for a version of HoF with turn based combat.

Yeah, a few on the Steam forums were asking for that.

Heck yeah, I’m back to being the first to achieve 100% on PS4!