Dominions 2... Is the demo representive?

I played the Dominions 2 demo… I can’t say I understood half of what was going on.

I’m posting in the hopes I can hear maybe the demo isn’t the full game, so to speak. Or their is a tutorial/guide I can go through and understand it better. I’m a big fan of all types of strategy games and this one seems to be pretty popular here.

Well you get the manual with the full game, which is pretty good. The demo is very representative of the full game, you just miss out on a few maps, nations and the highlevel spells.
No tutorial in the full game, but folks on the shrapnel forums are very helpful if you have questions.

The manual isn’t that great at explaining the game, IMO. But Bruce Geryk wrote an excellent tutorial, which is designed to be used with the demo, that you can read here. I couldn’t understand the game before I read Bruce’s walkthrough, but afterwards I really got into it. Good luck!

The tutorial was key to my understanding of the game. After following the tutorial for about thirty minutes the interface made complete sense, and I was able to start really enjoying the game.

The tutorial was key to my understanding of the game. After following the tutorial for about thirty minutes the interface made complete sense, and I was able to start really enjoying the game.[/quote]

Same here.

A year ago I tried Dom 1 demo and gave up for lack of a decent tutorial.

A few months back I tried Dom 2 demo with Bruce’s great tutorial and bought the game. It’s that good (the tutorial and the game).

Yeah, the demo shines with Geryk’s tutorial / walkthrough.

Shined enough to get me to purchase it.

The “walkthru” starts you up the slope, but it’s a darned long slope.
I tried the demo several times and just dropped it.

Bruce Geryk’s walkthrough is absolutely the way to learn the interface and the basics. Acquiring knowledge of the breadth and depth of the game is accomplished only through playing it, and reading through the bazillion pages on the Dom2 thread here.