Dominions 3: Unofficial All-Purpose Megathread

I’m funny how? I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I’m here to fu*kin amuse you?

I haven’t recieved my Dom3 and probably won’t till later in the week, as I only barely pre-ordered. I’ve only ever played Dom2 against the AI, so sign me up as an utter noob. I’d prefer to play Man, I think, but could live with random. I like renaming only because I lose track of what I’m doing with a unit so often, but I can see that might actually be a detriment in an MP. As for other settings, I don’t have enough experience to have a strong opionon as to how they should be, and defer to the judgement of those with som MP experience.

If these games are still recruiting when I get it, I am sooo in.

Me too…I played Dom 1 and 2 quite a bit in single player but never multi so I’d love to do some multi also…although I can’t purchase the game till next payday so I wont have it for a few weeks. noobville

Re: starting: We’ll start these first two games when we have critical mass and agreement form those participating, but the point of this thread is for everyone to set up games as they see fit. I will set up another one or two for the second wave if game shipping is delayed. I expect that most of us will want to have more than one game going.

Re: hosting: We’ll need to hash that out. If Nick can host the Bandar game, great. As for the Markata game, I don’t know how to set up a server so hopefully someone else can volunteer. All I know is that I am not going to manually process the turns like I did for the Dom2 games I hosted. Ever. Again.

Re: Nick Walter --> ERMOR: Commence Operation Dogpile on the Undead.

Hello! Glad to see a forum full of fellow Dominions fans. My copy of Dom3 should be in any day now, and I was wondering if any of your games had space for another noobie?

Take your complaints to the WTF Department, poignard. This thread is for those of us who understand the value of paying good money for the right to pitch masses of tiny, beautifully-crafted bitmapped sprites at one another at a glacial pace over a period of years. Capisce?

Why, you – ! shakes fist

As long as you are not ==++(( Lord_Ebonstone ))++== in disguise, you are most welcome to join us.

I say, nuke them from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

So can you please point me the way to the orbit?

What’s the scoop on Lord Ebonstone?

I played a fair bit of Dom2 multiplayer, so I’m not a noob. I’ll switch to the Pro game if it’s Ok.

Now, I only won once (for a robust ~5% winning percentage), but I lost to some good players, I think :)

As for game options, I’d suggest Score Graphs disabled and Renaming allowed. I found it much more exciting having to send scouts out to determine the strength of the enemy. There was also a lot of misdirection, diplomac wise(that I always was on the wrong side of), that would not be possible if everyone knew who was strong and who was not.

That looks like a hackers name! Based on how fast I lose you will see I am no hacker. :)

I’m leaning toward trying out one of the brand-new nations, so I’ll claim Kailasa for now.

(Edit) Oops, that may just be the early era Bandar Log, which is already claimed. If so, then I’ll try claiming Yomi.

Fallout was the greatest game ever, etc. etc., the people who made Fallout are traitors to gaming because they haven’t made another, etc. etc., anybody who doesn’t want another game just exactly like Fallout is stupid, etc. etc.

IIRC espousing such opinions a mite too forcefully was what got him banned.

LOL, my very own thoughts as well.

To tell you the truth I’ve been in so many Dom2 MP games with Ermor where the gameplay quickly turned into everybody vs undeads holy crusade, it’s not even funny . I don’t think I’ve played with Nick Walter before, but based upon your guys reaction he must be very efficient in playing Ermor. If this is the case, than other players will indeed have no choice but to pile on him before he grows too strong.

It is especially so since this is a “pro” game, and Ermor is hands of very good undead player (which Nick seems to be based upon your comments) will very likely change the whole nature of the game for most (if not all) players in the game into undead crusade, no matter if this crusade will be ultimately successful or not.

So if this is the case than it is a pity, since I was really looking forward to different and new type of game once I get the box, being the first Dom3 game for all of us, etc.

So could I humbly and respectfully make a suggestion that perhaps everybody in this first game could retain from playing Ermor, for this particular game? As a big personal favor if nothing else.

Don’t get me wrong please, of course it’s Nick Walter’s right to play anything he choose, and I am not organizing this game so I can’t set up the rules. All I can do is simply ask and hope for the best.

If I understand the nature of Dom3 correctly, whether you pick early, middle, or late era matters a lot, and Ermor is only classic undead hordes in late era.

So the nature of the particular game being played may preclude mindless shambling rotting brain-munching fear.

That is true. But now, for the first time ever, the manual will explain in print why Ashen Ermor is full of undead. Teaser: It has to do with an earlier god, a dark and hungry god.

That’s interesting. So early Era Ermor does not have population dying in each province where it has dominion, free undead hoardes, money-free mages, et cetera, et cetera?

In other words it actually plays more like every other nation and not like, err… Ermor? :) If so, it’s a good change for MP IMHO.

Yes indeed. But I am referring to one of the larger Dominions 2 games in which he was a very poor sport, setting up players against one another via diplomacy (which is fine and fun), then quitting unceremoniously when things didn’t go his way (which is the opposite).

I don’t like to badmouth people, and (_/**~ -> Lord_Ebonstone <- ~ **_) may very well be a nice guy with a normal name in real life, but I’d like to steer clear of playing games with him in the future.