Dominions 5 - Born to be Van Wilder

I’m sorry all, I missed my window to do tests yesterday and both today and tomorrow are spoken for. I should have some time to run tests this weekend and will decide between Ubar and Berytos then.

FWIW I’m a fan of leaving graphs on. I think it improves the nature of discourse in forum woofing about the game. That said, it’s not my game and I’m glad to abide by your rules.

sure, that sounds fine to me

cool. should make it more interesting. thanks

There’s no reason why we can’t just make up our own arbitrary graphs though :-) Propaganda is key after all.

Indeed! My test games have gone so poorly I only have 4-5 provinces all the time at the end of year 1!

The thing I hate the most is my test games go well and my online games end up really bad in comparison.

Imagine my surprise in one test game just now where the second province gifted to me from game settings was the Great Gold Mine. Yeah, that’s an extra 100/turn gold which is huge right from the start, especially in this game type. On top of that, second turn I ended up with a hero knocking on the gates. Then on turn three, another hero.

heh, i know what you mean. I just got two staves of elemental mastery and a winged helm…

On other things, i’ve been playing with another map: Dozenrealm water: Steam Workshop::Dozenrealm v1.01 - Water

and it’s been pretty good, and despite it being a little larger, i think i prefer it to snerdryn - it has more caves for xibalda and some more terrain to suit pan and niefel among others. I’ve also been playing with starting with 3 provinces, so give that a try too…

I keep changing my pretender design. I can’t fit in everything I want! I wish you could make a game that allows like 3-400 more design points!

ya, in my last test game i blazed into mid game with a rush only to come to a dead stop: I can’t really do anything here

…and its back to the drawing board…

The worst thing that is getting me is I have to spend over 200 gold for any mage to research, and with 50% gold that is brutal! And they are also my cheapest blood hunters? Probably not happening!

Oh, and they are not sacred! Curse of this Wylde Ride! Last test game with 3 starting provinces on the new map pyrhic mentioned had a shaman NS and Jade Sorc WN as my extra 2 provinces. Chances of that happening on a real game is pretty slim!

I think anyone doing blood this game would be crazy.

Also, if I touch the death scales, would that put a target on my back? Not saying I would, though it would be thematic given Ermor’s trajectory through the ages. But if there’s no gold, then there’s no gold ya know.

there may be little gold, but there are lots of bones…

i think being undead in a game where life is so expensive makes a target on your back regardless, so death scale up with impunity! (or the same impunity as if not death scaling up)

;)

Calling me Batty already, I see…
Unfortunately, Xibalba kind of needs to do some blood hunting, at least for some good low level sacreds. Otherwise expansion is even more painful.

My original choice was to not do blood because its too complicated, let alone if its more difficult with the settings. I am liking the lower income because it leads to less micromanagement errors of me due to lots of mages researching and whatnot!

@pyrhic , the notes for the Dozen realm say

There are 12 preset throne provinces on land, spread evenly. You may use more thrones - no extra thrones will appear nearby or at most chokepoints which lead in a single direction anyways. Using fewer thrones is not advised.

What does that mean for your 8 throne settings?

probably means i need to open up the map and have a look around

I wonder if it is worth looking at MapNuke and creating a random map based on our nations selected? It provides thematic starts, can increase prevalence of special terrain features, and depending on water nations, we can do stuff like have smaller water bodies as opposed to large contiguous lakes.

The downside of MapNuke is that the provinces are grid-like in arrangement. Also, it doesn’t look like there’s a way to generate a specific number of thrones short of assigning them in either the editor with mapnuke, or in game. And I don’t know if they all wrap-around, but it looks like they are NS/EW wrap around given the connections. I’d have to play more with it. And of course, there’s full knowledge of where everyone starts… That’s a problem in itself I’ll admit.

Having just generated a map, I see Pangea has two forests surrounding it’s starting space, Xibalba starts in a cave, with a cave next to it and thrones are evenly spaced across the map.

I hadn’t seen it before, and it’s interesting, but I dont think viable. East/West scrolling is the biggest problem in my mind as it negatively impacts player interaction

It might be rash, but I’m going to attempt Ubar. I still need significant practice with the nation, but it does have it’s charms.