Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

It was 10+ years ago I tried 4. I’d like to think I’m a more level headed, mature gamer. I AM a UI snob.

Walk away. This particular game is not for you.

Break out 4 a and give it a go. I tried…3 or 4 times with dominions 2 before things started clicking in my head. Then I had my head handed to me several times in multiplayer before I got my feet under me. Some of my best moments as a gamer have come from this series. It’s certainly worth the investment, but it certainly isn’t for everybody.

Focusing on the possible factors that could make you dislike the game isn’t fully judging the game. You also have to look at the factors that could make you like it. You can read this, that I wrote three years ago

The game is under $20 on GamersGate - glad I checked IsThereAnyDeal.com before I pulled the trigger. For that price I’ll give it a shot.

Good find.

Nice write up Turin Tur. Enjoyable and accurate.

I never realized there were people doing “casting”-type commentary of Dom5 on YouTube.

There is another guy doing a similar AAR of all nations in a game, Attica, but he is doing it by himself. The one done by Lucid is the first one where two guys go on commenting it, giving it a more ‘esport’ feel, lol.

I was looking today a this pretty cool new nation mod, by Mu.

http://dominionsmods.com/index.php?showtopic=4032

Free spawn?

Yes, it seems to be a domkill/freespawn nation. Like say, MA Ermor.

I just heard this from the Dominions Discord I frequent.

A serious bug and exploit in the current version of the game has cropped up. It relates to an unexpected issue with the automatic recruitment function. Theoretically it can be used to generate infinite gold within a multiplayer game. Any such exploit will be caught and announced to everyone in the next turn by the game’s anti-cheat detection system, however. It remains an issue since it can allow units to be recruited during a siege (and this is not something the anti-cheat system detects), and it is something that players can stumble into by accident. (edit: Will stumble into by accident, given that it happens automatically if a fortress province with Automatic Recruitment active is attacked and besieged!) It is not necessary to pause ongoing games, but it may still be adviseable to do so, if you aren’t sure you can trust all fellow players and the game’s organizer not to abuse this exploit in any way. (Use your best judgment!)

I think I’m going to start a new game in a few weeks. I know, 2 games of Dominions, going on at the same time, can you handle it? And I will say. Yes, of course I can handle it!

Anyway, I’m thinking of doing something I rarely do, and setting up an Early Era Game. It will be a disciple game of teams of either 2 or 3. Depending on the number of newer players we can find, I’ll try to mix it up by teaming up 1 or 2 experienced players with 1 newer player (it all depends on the ratio).

Below is the map I am playing on using. Its on steam and its one of the most interesting maps around. plus, it doesn’t suffer from bottlenecks like certain other maps around, although it might like like it does.

I give you Floating Archipelago
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2024337870

It has lots of connections, water ways, underground paths, and nearly all the the mountains are connected.

This map probably favors underground nations a bit too much, but other then that, its just epic.

Edit: Mods - I guess I should mention mods - Nothing crazy - I really like Balance Mod, and Probably the Hero mod.

People interesting -
Experienced Players
@legowarrior

New Players
@jaygittings

I’m game to join into the disciple game. So long as newbies are tolerated.

That maps looks strategically dense for sure.

If we can get 3-5 newbies that would be great.

The idea would be teams and each team with one newbie. Depending on the ratio of Newbies to Experienced players, that would determine the size of the teams.

So, 3 Newbies, and 6 experienced players, 3 teams fo 3. 4 Newbies and 4 Experienced players, 4 teams of 2.

The map is good for up to 12 players. And, Early Era, though it has a lot of magic, as a lot less blood. Plus, I want to try out either Rus or Ermor. Or TC. Maybe Yomi? I don’t know, I rarely play early era games.

Anyway, I know taking the dive into MP can be a bit daunting, so I hope something like this helps. I would encourage anyone interesting in playing, please practice the map and the builds. The goal is to get around 15-20 province by the end of the first year of the game. If you can safely accomplish that, you will have a good chance of making it to the mid game.

I wouldn’t mind another chance at playing EA Xibalba. I am not sure I am the best tutor, though! If you get a game going, I would be interested. The world is still a bit of a crazy place, but I am feeling a lot better finally and mostly getting back to normal.

I had some good MP games playing as EA TC and Yomi in the past, but they may have been Dom 3 or 4.

I think I played as a disciple of yours before and remember it as a learning experience. Unfortunately, my old brain has forgotten what I learned, but I remember learning something.

Yes, I am pretty sure we did! My memory was you played well and again on another game. I am not so sure that you not remembering anything is a good endorsement, but glad you learned something! :)

So, do we have 4 players so far? That’s a start.

I’m hoping to make it 2 experienced players and one newer player on a team, depending on the ratio. That way, everyone has some experience to draw upon.