Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

I’d be up for another game. I’m experienced but not that good I fear.

Okay, so

Experienced Players (don’t fear that this is a permanent placement, just to help sort it all out in my mind)
@legowarrior
@Kelan
@belouski
@wahoo

New Players
@jaygittings

It would be nice to get a full group of 10 players by June 1st and start the game itself around July 1st, With a disciple game, I want players to have plenty of time practicing with different teams, so we don’t end up with odd situations, like having Theordos as the Pretender, or putting Abysia and Niefelheim on the same team (I don’t care about the point benefits, it just isn’t a great fit).

@Otthegreat, didn’t you want to learn a bit more about Dominions 5 and the MP scene?

I haven’t played the game, but if anyone is willing to take a clueless disciple, I’m game.

That would be great. Give it a few rounds and see what you think.

@Otthegreat and I are at the same level of experience. I’d say we are experienced beginners.

If we can get him on board, I will make sure to balance it out (somehow).

It’s tough for me to commit to a Dominions game, but this is an interesting idea.

Okay, so right now, I thinking a or 9 or 12 player game. We have 5 or 6 players so far, so, assuming we can get a few more by the end of the month, I’ll start making teams.

I haven’t actually played Dominions 5 yet, but I do own it. I’m up for it.

It’s a great game. Go for it!

For anyone interested in playing MP, a good rule of thumb is being able to take 12 to 15 provinces by the end of 12 months in Single Player.

If you can do that, you pretty much won’t feel so frustrated in the MP game.

We are playing a balance mod, so there are a lot fewer bad choices, but I would suggest avoiding blood nations, and heavy astral nations for your first go around.

@Mellified, do you experience with 3 or 4, or will this be your first time with Dominions?

Hah, I was searching something on google and found this, from the year 2001!

LOl, how many of those issues were taken care of? It seems like most of them.

I think most of those were questions on how to do things already in the game even in Dom2 or 3, let alone in newer versions.

I’ve been thinking about it, and I think I’ll jump into this new/pending game if a +1 is needed. Not as a team captain though. I much prefer the supporting role.

OK, newbie question here.

I have a commander with the “Sailing” ability. I check it and I appear to be below both the size point and size limits. I do have size 3 cavalry with me.

However, when I try to move the commander and his attached armies I can’t move into any water territories. I also tried leaving everything but my amphibious units behind, but I was still unable to sail.

Sailing lets you move across water, not into it. You should be able to attack a land square on the other side of the water…

OK, there isn’t any land on the other side. Guess that was my issue.

How do you capture water territory then? I guess I can make a water breathe item?

From land? Amphibious troops(shamblers, those murloc things) or ya, something with a water breathe item. There’s also some commanders that can confer water breathing on their troops and some summons that don’t breathe. Depending on the circumstance, you might also be able to summon aquatic troops to remote attack…

Keep in mind, particularly if you’re in for a long underwater campaign, that some amphibious troops (and probably most wearing a breathing device), don’t perform well underwater. IIRC, iron weapons and armor gets penalized underwater as well as swinging and bashing weapons, shields too i think. Also some spells behave differently(most fire doesn’t work, electricity…often works like you think fire should)…

I got to be honest, I keep trying Early Era nations, and none of them a clicking with me. Not enough nations with decent non cap mages, archers and no blood magic. I might need to settle for EA Machaka.

EA Ulm used to be ridiculously overpowered. Don’t know if it got nerfed or not.