Don’t trust the mainstream media.

“Expertise isn’t required” is the rallying cry of the right wing and Dunning-Kruger.

that’s the thing though is questioning the narrative is now considered alt right extremism… because of collective polarity… egged on by algorithms… funded by wealthy donors. no one, not even a neuroatypical college kid, can have an unsanctioned opinion without being trolled.

I cannot speak for every J-school out there. But I can speak for one of the best: the one at Mizzou. I took j-school classes there until my grades in elective math courses chased me out, but then managed to petition in for a class or two in editorial later on.

In reporting I (and there are 4 levels), by the third week if you’re still using charged or slanted language in a report, you’re going to start getting failed on that work you turn in. And I thought I was pretty good at knowing what words to avoid going in, and boy howdy was I wrong.

And in the editing classes, it’s even crazier. If you DON’T spot all instances of editorial language in an example piece or real submission, it gets more and more difficult to earn a grade that will let you continue for that J degree.

But…I don’t imagine Mizzou is unique in that aspect. I’d imagine most, if not all, of the accredited J-school programs at US universities are pretty damned strict about that kind of stuff.

If you’re really a college kid questioning the world, god bless you. Carry on.

We’re all old fucks here. We all went through the phase of questioning the experts, getting jaded about everything (this is where I am) to realizing everyone is just human and makes mistakes and you should trust the experts (most of the rest of the forum).

Good luck on your journey. Unless you’re an alt right troll, in which case fuck off.

Good luck figuring that one out.

The “problem” is that you’re young and foolish (but don’t worry everyone was once & most people grow out of it).

You’ve recently discovered that people don’t always tell the truth, and so you’ve decided that nothing is true or that nutty conspiracy theories and/or pseudo-science are true.

Or you’re a troll.

Why would we trust the crowd to do a good job of that? They crowds good at answering the question of “is this interesting/entertaining/outrageous”. Turns out that they’re not great at answering “is this true” or even “is this credible”.

The problem is that something going viral is a skewed game. It doesn’t matter how many people respond negatively to whatever is being shared, only how many respond positively. What you’re optimizing for is minimizing people who are indifferent. That’s not a good environment for sanity checks.

I switched around a lot, but I’ve never been a journalism major. I was at Sam Houston in Huntsville and now I’m in Nevada. I started in tech theater (for sound tech and stage management), went for philosophy (the minutiae made me suicidal) and switched to cultural anthropology with an emphasis in comparative religious literature. Religion is the ultimate media, and all lesser media tries to reflect its power. I’ve read many major (and lesser) religious texts, I can read in 3 languages (English, French, Afrikaans). My focus and my purpose has always been on emphasizing holism as a tool to promote understanding. There is nothing alt right, about my research or my opinions. It is pure because I am young- some sentiments might echo aspects of right wing thought, but that’s only because balance involves consideration from all sides.

Solving problems in journalistic ethics by shitting on organizations that at least attempt to practice journalistic ethics isn’t the path to victory some seem to think it is.

As much as a dislike even the NYT and the WaPo (but mostly their local equivalents) as capitalist mouthpieces, they’re not monolithic and follow requirements for verification.
Also, I’m hungry, for some reason,

So, if we are to indulge you, you need to let us know why you are here. In my experience, we have two types of posters:
a) People who love to play games and want to talk about said games, and
b) bots.

Since you’re claiming you aren’t a bot/spammer and have not mentioned games once (to be fair I skimmed), could you maybe mention how you found this place, why you are here, and what you expect to get out of your time here?

My sensors are twitching.

I think this person has already hit the new user post limit, so I guess we’ll have to wait 24 hours until we get to hear more about the occult.

Yeah, it’s a little presumptuous for someone to come here and to start with a manifesto on P&R on your first post. Some of us have labored for years making hopefully informative and entertaining posts about the games they’ve been playing over the main forum before even feeling worthy to come here just to make sarcastic jokes about current events, much less manifestos.

(this is meant in a tongue in cheek way if it isn’t obvious, not trying to play forum cop)

Yea, but how do you stay awake watching that.

She’s young and her opinions are still “pure”, give her a break!

/s

I was woke after reading this thread.

“‘Theosophist.’ A person who talks about Yoga, and does no work.”
–Aleister Crowley

Journalism is still valid, I generally trust the AP, Reuters, and Al Jazeera to mostly be correct on the Who, What, and When. A bit less on the How, and considerably less on the Why, which is pretty much my method for evaluating a news article. If the headline states the Who and the Why foremost, it’s probably crap. But, in the glory of the internet age, there is usually a link to a real journalist from the AP or Reuters, and then in that article there is usually a link to source material. Two clicks to at least raw data, though any enthusiast of science (much less professionals) should be able to spot the holes in that.

The Media though, as we use it commonly today, is just a repackaging of all that into a capitalistic/entertainment format and should be ignored. When the Media accidentally makes real news happen through their efforts then the real journalists will use it while adding on the caveats and context that make it more accurate rather than less.