Don’t trust the mainstream media.

I only trust information sourced through telepathic communications from aliens living in the Zeta Reticuli system.

(Planet X is coming soon)

Our entire society modern society and contemporary dogma is built on the shoulders of monotheism and the christian religion. That’s all unverified nonsense too, but it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider its contents and ignore it altogether. You certainly shouldn’t ignore the effects it has had on your society and your life. Even if it is unverifiable.

Oh. Blavatsky.

Indeed. I feel terrible for having cast a doubtful eye on things.

I’m pretty sure you’re fewer than five posts away from quoting Jordan Peterson to us.

I am the wheat. You are the chaff. (sound of a combine motor starting in the background).

And it’s harvest time. (cue sunglasses)

*laughs*

That’s a good point. I have a nagging feeling that there is a bigger agenda, but the sheer amount of information available to people is definitely crippling. Many people I know are overwhelmed and choose ignorance, which leads to them being informed explicitly by headlines and algorithms. That passivity is the real problem, because that puts someone in a position to be “spoon fed false information”. That’s the biggest problem.

So you require everyone to be an expert at everything? How can you know if an independent source of information is true or false unless you (and all possible readers) already know everything about everything? How can you determine what is false and what is true?

Of course. I’ve also seen at least as many such stories turn out to be dishonest one sided tellings, optimized for maximal viral outrage. At least most serious newspapers make some attempt to figure out what the facts are before publishing, rather than just reflexively signal amplify the nutjobs with the sexiest story.

Expertise isn’t required. You can never know what you’re hearing is true or not, and you can’t know the motives behind it for sure. Platos Cave and all that. There’s not much to do beyond engaging in intellectual passivity (not anchoring to any single thing being the absolute truth), resisting polarity and outside influences, and just paying attention to what you see happening in relation to what you data you’ve consumed. The more data you consume, the bigger your frame of reference, the easier it is to holistically comprehend what you empirically experience. Occasionally posting on a forum is a good opportunity to improve on my own perspective by seeing how my opinions are gauged by others. Since I feel like I’m trying to convince a drug dealer that I’m not a cop, it’s not going well.

Sure, that’s the flipside right?
Speed but no editorial control …or rather you have to rely on the crowd to perform that function.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.

I think most of the political problems in the U.S. today are attributable to the erosion of the power of the mainstream media.

So what we need is for mainstream media to undergo a period of accretion.

They also have no editorial control.

Such as last week when social media and reddit ran the names of not one but two guys who were supposed to be the guy who harrassed the kids putting up George Floyd/BLM posters on a biking trail. Both guys ended up getting doxed from it. Neither was the guy who was arrested.

And you know who didn’t run that story until an actual arrest had been made? Mainstream media. And you know who senselessly helped ruin two lives? The scenario you just described.

What we need is a balanced mainstream media that provides unbiased coverage of events, and an equally balanced public that is less comfortable with intellectual complacency and is willing and able to question and examine data they consume without being labeled as extremists.

So a fair and balanced news organization.

Whew, glad we sorted that out.

“Wealthy Elite” even.