Doom 4: Flashlights from Hell

Doom 3 wasn’t too bad, though all the complaints are valid. I think one of the things that hurt was that Far Cry, with it’s larger and open environments, made Doom 3 (released just 3 or so months later) look like the corridor shooter it was.

Damn, that was a good FPS year though: Painkiller, FarCry, Doom 3, and Half Life 2.

Couldn’t agree more. The company has become irrelevent in almost every aspect except for technology, and that’s only because of Carmack.

Honestly, I DO think it is the best compliment I can give to any game developer, period. And sadly only a few are worthy of it. Nintendo, Bungie, Valve, id, Blizzard and very few others. Other developers have the occassional game where the basics are solid, but don’t do it consistently enough to be noted for it.

If so I think thats speaks for itself as to why allot of gamers shrug at id saying anything these days. The basics are like saying you can pass the 101 level class of a college subject. Big deal.

That’s the funny thing about the game industry, so few people get the basics right, especially since the move to 3D. GTA4 is a great example. I’ve been playing that game a lot and the game is fun and worth playing but it gets TONS of the basics wrong and suffers greatly for it. If Nintendo or id had a hand in the making of this game in some alternate universe, the on-foot movement controls wouldn’t be so godawful. But they didn’t, so they are.

I bought Doom 3 during the first week of release, and regretted it almost immediately. If not for the drive home and the time to install it, it would have been pretty immediate.

Beautiful game to look at, yes, but I’ve had more enjoyable trips to the dentist.

Monster Closets I can live with. What I really hated was the Nazi Closet in Medal of Honor:Allied Assault.

What about the shack of endless muslim terrorist in COD4?

They should hire the guy who did Classic Doom and the guy who did DungeonDoom.

I’d be up for it if they at least put more thought into a narrative. I almost always knew what I was doing and why in the HL games. In Doom3, I just knew that if I wandered down this corridor, eventually I would be able to click on some pretty-looking yet curiously nondistinct piece of machinery, and some door somewhere would open for no rational reason other than the developers wanted me to click that big piece of machinery first.

I am very, very excited about Doom 4.

Haha, no, not really.

When I look back on Doom 3, I don’t think it was an outright bad game, but it was handcuffed by a number of poor design choices. I played for about 10 hours before giving up and in that time, I felt the game was way too monochromatic, both in terms of art direction (dark, dark, more dark) and the play itself (corridor shooter with predictable monster closets and traps). It was very one-note. Here, it’s dark. Demons jump out at you. Shoot them. Repeat.

Also, teasing me with the promise of the Skybridge (outdoors!) then having it destroyed in a scripted sequence and sending me to the sewers (of Mars) instead was unforgivable. :P Then after finishing the sewer level there was…another sewer level. That’s where my last save is. Martian sewer #2.

But who am I kidding? I’ll still buy Doom 4 when it comes out. I may not like it, but I’ll buy it, out of curiosity if nothing else.

Doom 3 did what it set out to do absolutely flawlessly. It was meant to be a simple, atmospheric, cheap thrills blastfest. They didn’t set out to make HL2 and they are completely different games in their approaches so they shouldn’t be compared against one another.

Fancy new graphics will do that to you. You gotta think about Doom as an experience.

I’ll take monster closets over Call of Duty’s endless respawning enemies any time.

Well I’m quivering with joy. Doom’s easily my favorite game of all time, and even though Doom 3 wasn’t as awesome as I’d hoped, I still enjoyed the shit out of it. Wonder if they’re gonna make Doom 4 a re-made Doom 2.

Doom 3 was simple but great fun. As CCZ said, id and Bungie get the basics of movement & shooting absolutely right in a way that others don’t, including Valve and Unreal Engine titles. Fewer cheap carnival tricks in Doom 4 wouldn’t hurt, though…

Word. Most people doesn’t seem capable to understaned (or interested in) the finer details of shooting. Which i find very important… if game is a SHOOTER!
Doom 3 or Quake IV are so much fun than for example, Call of Duty 4, thanks to the variety of weapons and enemies.

In Doom 3 you can fight some imps evading their fireballs by an inch, then dance with a Hell’s knight killing it in close range with the shotgun, throwing nades to kill some zombie soldiers with human weapons and after trying to shoot flying skulls and cacodemons in the air with the machinegun. In CoD4, it’s all the scenario full of the same enemy terrorist/soldier with AK47 with automatic fire, and always with your automatic weapon (m16 or m4). There aren’t small or big enemies, there aren’t melee/range enemies, there aren’t gorund/flying enemies, there aren’t weak but numerous/tough but alone enemies, there aren’t enemies with instant fire (bullets, pellets) and enemies with evadable fire.

Doom 2 allowed you to do all of the above in most rooms at the same time

Doom 3 had a fairly slow, predictable pace to it.

Enter room.
Kill monster in front of you.
Turn around.
Kill monster that just teleported behind you.
Turn around.
Enter next room.
Kill monster in front…

Doom 2 allowed you to do all of the above in most rooms at the same time

Doom 2 didn’t have grenades.

(I know, I know, but I had to…)

Doom3 also had some hectic moments ;), even if it has a slower pace overall.

Infinity Ward has more than proven they can get the “basics” right. Crytek outside of making games with high requirements have good gunplay too. Toss in Epic, as I think they know how to do movement and shooting pretty well now too. This simply isn’t an impressive thing to say anymore. Your also tossing in a company like Blizzard and Nintendo. This was about FPS not everything under the sun.

That’s the funny thing about the game industry, so few people get the basics right, especially since the move to 3D. GTA4 is a great example.

GTA is not a FPS, again your going off the tracks.

Strangely enough with the Tech 5 demos they’ve already shown I’m looking forward to a new Doom. They will finally be able to recreate all the Doom 2 levels with outdoor stuff. I just hope they can bring the series BACK to the arcade “oh-my-god-im-on-amphetamines” feel instead of this creeping around in the dark nonsense.