Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

Haha, yeah, it really is nuts!

Exactly. The game never really allows you to get comfortable with a specific play style which is one of the reasons I came to love it and why plenty of others don’t. I liked feeling like I was right on the edge all the time, even if it was a weird combination of exhilarating and exhausting. I do think the game is more flexible than some give it credit for but, yeah, it’s not one where you can choose a gun and stick to it either.

The main character from DOOM is a man without a name, known only as “Doom Guy”. John Romero stated his actual name is, in fact, “Doom Guy”. Poor bastard never even got a name!

Truly, a name origin to match the mighty pirate Guybrush Threepwood.

A true classic.

Yeah that’s exactly how I feel. Ancient Gods damn it.

It’s not standalone according to the steam page so, unfortunately, no.

Still, if you can cool your jets I guess it’ll eventually come to gamepass.

My heart bleeds for ya, man.

Rip and tears ;’(

Aren’t you the lunatic who did an ultra nightmare run?

One of the many perks of a non-existent social life. :)

I, uh, forgot I bought the edition of this which gives me the DLC. I also forgot I’d uninstalled this to make way for a bunch of other stuff. So I guess I’m reinstalling!

Social life or not, that’s still hugely impressive!

Well, thanks. I did it because I enjoyed it, though. To say that my motivations differ sharply with the ‘git gud’ crowd would be an understatement. I mean, it’s fun to come on and brag about it but I’d be happy for anyone rippin’ and tearin’ even in the easiest mode, it’s just too much fun.

You’re only cheating yourself if you’re pouring time into something you hate.

I didn’t realize the DLC was out today. I’m waiting to read reviews about it before spending money in it myself, but if it has more Marauders than the two shown in the trailer I’m probably gonna pass. But if there’s only 2 I will probably stop being a whiny bitch about it and just buy it.

Anyway, the point of this post was to comment on the way the expansion is being sold in the Xbox store. The only way to buy it is in a “bundle.” The bundle is listed as containing the following products for $19.99:

• DOOM Eternal
  • DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods

Someone tell me this won’t be confusing as shit to people who look at the $19.99 price of this bundle vs the $60 base price of the stand alone game, because this seems like it gonna trick more than a few people into into thinking they’re buying more than they really are… because the DOOM Eternal included in this bundle isn’t actually the real DOOM Eternal, since THERE’S NO CAMPAIGN.

This release is just a stand alone expansion.

Well, definitely seems tougher so far; nastier enemy combos with terrain built more in their favour, plus the minion ranks feel much more numerous. That said, it’s been awhile and I am definitely rusty and rolling out on nightmare has been a steep relearning curve; make no mistake that this is a direct continuation of the endgame experience rather than one that wastes much time easing you back in with minor skirmishes. At least you’re given access to all the weapons and upgrades right off the bat.

Priorities!

I finished the first two of the three levels on nightmare and… well, I think permadeath may be beyond me for this one, heh. This is harder than the base campaign by far. I’m very much enjoying it, glad that it’s got me playing again. Damned if it ain’t punishing though. If you’re one of those people that found the unforgiving pace and speed of Eternal to perhaps be a bit much and never got the hang of those marauders, I’d be wary of buying it.

The first level was ok for the most part, mostly just getting the ol’ muscle memory back. It does wrap up in a nasty difficulty spike which sets the tone for the following level, which is replete with some really nasty surprises, new mechanics and some tough arenas. I don’t want to spoil anything, but… you will die. To an arachnotron.

About the only thing I’m not sold on the new mechanic which randomly, albeit rarely, spawns a tougher version of a demon with more health/more damage. It can really bite you in the ass, especially as they’re not predictable, though it only seems to throw them your way if you haven’t died in awhile.

Three levels may not seem much but I think they’re much bigger than the ones in the base campaign. They’re certainly taking me longer to beat what with the deaths and all. It took me a good few hours to get to the final level, looking forward to wrapping it up tomorrow.

So this came out on PC gamepass, so I downloaded it (just to test, I intend to play it after C77 sometime next year).

First impressions are not great.

• mandatory login into bethesda.net, which is handled in a bizzare annoying way

• tutorials how to use chainsaw? Game interrupting immersion destroying tutorials? Seriously? Disabled that shit instantly and no, your message about “you will miss crucial info about our precious combat loop” will not convince me otherwise

• really weird deadzone on the left (movement) analog stick. Like if I move the stick a little, Slayer basically crawls. And then at around 60% of moving it, he is suddenly at full speed. This makes movement really shitty and imprecise. Is this normal? Because I played previous id games on gamepad (Doom, Rage, Rage 2) and do not remember this nonsense from those.

I didn’t even realize movement wasn’t just a binary not moving/Usain Bolt speed. Anything less than a billion % light speed is just too slow in DOOM Eternal, and the map design accounts for that.

I respect that you’re avoiding crucial tutorial info, because some might argue this game isn’t hard enough on its own.

Yeah I guess this issue I have is “solvable” by simply always being full tilt with the stick and running around everywhere, but…it still feels bad to play, at least until I get used to it. It is bizzare though, I haven’t seen such badly mangled deadzone/sensitivity yet. One would think this is a solved problem.

If I get stuck I will watch the tutorial stuff in the “codex” or whatever, and I do not plan to play on any of the harder difficulties. It will be either the easiest one, or the hurt me plenty one.