Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

coming directly from Doom 2016 … it feels harder, but Doom 2016 felt pretty hard in the first few levels, too. Until you got some level ups and weapons.

Also, I run low on ammo pretty often. I have to remind myself to use the chainsaw at the right time. The requirement to be precise with a controller adds to the difficulty. Shooting the rockets off of a revenant or the turret off of a brain-tron-thing is not easy…

I like it though, looking forward to play more.

edit: it has too much story

Gross!

My favorite part of Doom 2016 was when the Slayer ripped a computer off of a wall immediately cutting off the tedious narrator’s monologue. I wish more games had beautiful moments like that.

I think it’s definitely harder. I’m now up to mission 6 I believe, and I played both games on ultra violence (PC) and Eternal feels like it frequently puts you into situations where you have very little space to move around and the big combat arenas feel like they throw more enemies at you as well.

I also feel like I have to switch weapons waaaay more frequently than I did in the first game, which is both a plus and a minus - plus because all weapons feel pretty great, minus because sometimes I’d just like to blast away with the super shotty for hours at a time.

If I had to nitpick a little more I’d say that the game also features a bit too many platforming sections, but that is completely offset by the superb control and speed you can achieve in this game. From a gameplay perspective it’s an absolutely amazing experience.

I’ve realised I have no idea how the respawn, extra life and checkpoint systems work. When I die I just play from wherever they put me…

Something must be off with fast travel in Arc Complex mission, it kept bugging out and ending the mission for me when I tried it. Ended up playing through the level 4 times to get all the collectibles - and it was fun! I can’t remember the last time I played a game that controlled as well as Doom Eternal.

Unless you run out of lives, and then you’re forced to ask yourself what was really the point of them in the end?

There’s a mode that’s specifically tailored around those - but they’re also quite handy for some of the harder content like slayer gates.

something is really off with the difficulty. In Doom 2016 Hurt Me Plenty with a controller was a challenge, but it was do-able. In this you are even more of a glass cannon, and standing still to try to hit the weakspots without getting killed is really hard (with a controller).

Also jumping puzzles get really annoying. I still like the game, but there are some really annoying bits and pieces in it.

Also I do not feel like replaying levels, which I enjoyed in 2016. Here? Feels like work

Found the problem.

Nah, it’s that Eternal wants constant movement and precision aiming to really do well, and frankly Doom should not be about precision aiming at all. This is a series that was built on the shotgun and rocket launcher as well as machine gun/plasma spam. You can get by in Eternal without aiming for the weak spots but it’s gonna be a lot harder and IMO that is all antithetical to the Doom ethos.

I stalled out on this game playing on PC about halfway through while I finished 2016. I keep trying to go back to it and it keeps not grabbing me.

Weak points do get less important as you get more powerful I think. The higher power weapons plus blood punch let me just blunder wildly through tougher guys :) M&K to be fair.

The thing I did find is I need to remind myself to harvest armour and ammo during a firefight. Health too, if everything is dying too quickly for glory death.

Agree the jumping puzzles can be frustrating momentum-killers. But then I get through and feel smart, so…

I find it impossible with a controller to target specific parts while moving. There is some aim assist, I think this game was totally build for M/K .

I played an arena in the cultist base maybe 10-15 times until I got it. It did not feel like an accomplishment, just got lucky in one run. This should not be that hard on the default difficulty.

I also feel like I have to switch weapons waaaay more frequently than I did in the first game, which is both a plus and a minus - plus because all weapons feel pretty great, minus because sometimes I’d just like to blast away with the super shotty for hours at a time.

THIS. All these buttons to watch cutscenes to get health and get ammo (and now get armour?!) from enemies and what I really want is Moar Shotgun Time. I like getting into a groove with a weapon, and here all the weapons are chronically empty. And it really likes having me going around and around in circles, which for me just reinforced how these are really just arena pens. I somehow remember Doom as fighting my way “through”, with arenas being big boss fights. I guess they went with making everything into mini boss fights. I probably just need to let it all settle so I can approach it as a different game rather than Doom refined - I guess I never through that other folks would have a different idea of what is the “essence” of Doom.

I changed the crosshair to a dot, I think I can aim better with it.

Is there no way to kill bigger demons with the chainsaw? I liked that in 2016. If some enemies got too bossy, just saw them. Of course you needed to save fuel, but if you got stuck you could use different approaches like chainsawing as a last resort.

ok, thanks. I have to check, I think I had 3 fuel and couldn’t even kill a Revenant or Pinky or those annoying arachtoids…

The three pip chainsaw fuel gauge is by far the weakest link - perhaps the only weak link - in the systems design of Eternal. They probably should’ve just limited it to a single pip, but I guess they couldn’t bring themselves to break away from 2016’s design entirely. Fortunately, it’s just not important enough to matter.

A calm crimson oasis in a roiling desert of spite; the succour on offer during the ~2 second invulnerability window should not be ill squandered. Use it to determine who dies next, and how.

Furthermore, it may help to regard the chainsaw button as being equivalent to the reload button in other, lesser, games. Albeit one with a number of extra perks.

NB it benefits from the ‘glory kill at greater distance’ rune and can oft be used to escape out of sticky situations, whether ammo is needed or not…

This is going to be a weird thing to be asking in this thread, but I will do so anyway, hopefully some of you will indulge me. I recommended Doom 2016 a few years ago to a friend, and he loved it. He was hungering for more so I recommended Wolfenstein 1 and 2 from Machinegames, and he liked them and finished them, but didn’t like it as much as Doom.

So he just finished Doom Eternal and loved it, and was asking me for recommendations again, and I’m kind of coming up blank. First person shooters with single player campaigns are kind of hard to come by if you’re not into retro shooters, right? Is there something I’m forgetting maybe?

Rumor has it that Shadow Warrior 2 is pretty good.

Oh nice. I couldn’t get into it at all myself, so I dismissed that in my mind, but you’re right, someone else might like it.