Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

That is impressive! While I did beat the game and both DLCs, I did not do so on Nightmare, I don’t think I have it in me.

Honestly, neither did I. I recall saying to my girlfriend that I didn’t think I’d be able to overcome Nightmare but slowly the muscle memory built up and I started getting into that zone and flow state. I think the two biggest helps were 1) getting all the weapons assigned to easily accessible keys so Q1234E, wheel up and wheel down, and 2) quick switching to skip reload animations. It felt amazing. I mean, watching the world record holder play dulls the sheen of your sloppy success but I’ll take it!

I’m sharing this because it’s crazy, and on controller too. DLC part two final boss spoilers.

Congrats, now try the DLC master levels for a real challenge! They’re awesome, and exquisitely painful!

Hah! Well I’ve not uninstalled it yet so maybe I’ll give them a look…

Wow, I bounced off how puzzle-like this was in about 30 minutes a year ago, but I knew that I wanted to give it another chance eventually. I did, and this thing is just so sharp in every aspect of its gameplay. And it runs and looks like a dream. I feel bad blasting through these gorgeous environments at 100mph.

Enjoy! It’s an incredible shooter!

Incredibly paced campaign capped off with very mediocre final bosses. The final boss in particular was just a slog. I also really didn’t care for fighting the Marauders. Still, this was basically a religious experience in FPS form.

From what I’ve heard, Ancient Gods is just more of the same with the difficulty turned up and very minimal gameplay wrinkles to make it feel fresh. I don’t think I need to play that, at least not right now.

Ancient Gods literally has a loading screen tooltip that they massively increased the number of baddies “cause DLC”. I find it borderline unfun at times to be honest, and that’s on 3rd hardest difficulty. It’s a sentiment shared across multiple gaming forums/communities.

As for gameplay…I’m going through Rage 2 right now and I’d take that over Doom (Eternal) any day.

Rage 2 did have fun shooty bits.

Hmm, I’m not sure about that. There are some new enemies that turn things upside down and a couple of new abilities, one that further changes the flow of combat. That said, if you don’t like fighting Marauders and didn’t like the final boss in the base game you’ll definitely not want to play the DLC!

Yeah, if I’m going back to Eternal, it will be to finish upgrading my guns and unlock the Unmakyr. And maybe do some secret hunting for the other bits and bobs.

I thought the two TAG expansions were pretty great, though they definitely stepped up the difficulty - or maybe it would be more fair to say they continued the original game’s upward difficulty trend as their baseline. I do have to agree that the final bosses of both expansions were really rough for me, and not in an enjoyable way. And I even kind of enjoyed the Icon of Sin boss.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Icon of Sin boss too. Certainly more than the DLC bosses which I also liked but, holy shit, Part 1 was so tough.

I thought this was cool.

Two years later, we have a lengthy, receipts-heavy update from Mick Gordon about the post-launch soundtrack debacle:

Damn. Mick Gordon just ripped and tore.

I’ve only gotten to the extensive table of content so far. I’m going to need some popcorn, so I’ll save this for later.

It would’ve been better if none of this had come to pass.

I’ve gone from Mick’s camp to id’s camp and now back to Mick’s camp. I eagerly await id’s response so I can change back to their camp. I’m ready to overreact for decades if necessary.