Doom Eternal - Hell on Earth Returns

New Project (72)

Times Square empty as people play new Doom.

I saw a note Gamestop cancelled midnight releases for this and Animal Crossing. Digital copies getting a sales boost across the board these next few weeks, I suspect.

Amazon and Walmart have the physical editions for $50 for the pre-order (you do still get Doom 64 with it). And in the case of the PC physical disc, you get a Bethesda code, not a steam code.

Amazon link.

I’ve been fine with every other digital game store, but since I haven’t made a first purchase at the Bethesda store yet, I’m hesitant anyway. I have no idea how long the Bethesda store will be around.

Man, you find the greatest stuff, I want a Doom version with these graphics now…

It’s been around for ages, fwiw, since they have Fallout 76 on it as well as Elder Scrolls the card game (Legends?), and I myself found I have a few games on here I forgot I owned. I would have preferred it on Steam, but honestly GMG didn’t charge tax and it had a 10% off coupon, so I saved like $9 going Bethesda launcher. It’s annoying I’ll have to set it up as a non-Steam game so I can get F12 for screenshots to work, though.

Oh, I’m not worried about that part. I launch all my games through Playnite or GoG Galaxy 2.0 anyway, so no difference for me in terms of actually playing the game. But Fallout 76 hasn’t been a resounding success, and as far as I know, the other Bethesda Launcher game, the Quake game, didn’t exactly light the world on fire either. (Or the Elder Scrolls card game).

I guess maybe I just have to imagine that if they do give up on the Bethesda launcher a year from today, they’ll transfer all purchases to Epic or Steam or Origins or something. A more permanent store.

I would say that’s a given, surely.

Reset Era does these OT (official topics) for a game when it’s big enough to warrant it and when the game is nearly released. This morning they did two.

Doom Eternal: Hell’s Bells
https://www.resetera.com/threads/doom-eternal-ot-hells-bells.175764/

Animal Crossing: Eternal Debt
https://www.resetera.com/threads/animal-crossing-new-horizons-ot-eternal-debt.175763/#post-29996374

It’s funny because they worked “Eternal” into the AC one, and Bells into the Doom one (“Bells” are the famous Animal Crossing in-game currency). Anyway, sorry for explaining the joke, but I kind of dug it, given all the fun/cute Animal Crossing/Doom crossover stuff that was going on the last month or so.

Oh man, that’s adorable!

My girlfriend pre-ordered Eternal Debt and I need to get on Hell’s Bells pronto. I’m running an i5 2500k 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM and a GTX 970 so I hope my system can cope. Probably due an upgrade but it runs most things just fine still. Wouldn’t know what to upgrade there though.

Well, a 970 looks like it’s a beefier card than the 1060 that is the minimum requirement to run the game at low/1080p @60fps and so I imagine you could probably tweak upwards a little bit (mostly medium) and still have a really good experience at 1080p. Your CPU is right at the minimum, so you’re okay there.

You could also get it on Steam and play it for an hour and see how it performs and refund it if your rig isn’t up the challenge just yet, too.

That’s a good shout. I’ve tried overclocking before and it always ends in wasted time and frustration (and a failed overclock). Even have a huge Scythe Mugen mounted on to my CPU. Next time I’ll be going locked and saving all round.

I’d also assumed the 1060 was higher spec!

Even the 3GB 1060 is a good bit faster than the 970, between 5-10%. I had to go back to 2018 comparisons to find the 970 listed, and drivers have no doubt improved by then.

That said, again, idtech is extremely scalable with vulkan and there’s zero doubt that a 970 will play it just fine at 1080p.

Yeah, I mean, Doom 2016 is still one of the best performing games I’ve ever played.

It’s not too far off, for sure.

1060 6GB is definitely better.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2577vs3639

Yeah, that video I linked showed it off as well. The first site I looked at this morning was saying the 970 was better, but looking closer it was a really old article from before the 970 even officially dropped, so I should have looked closer.

Also note, @stusser doesn’t have a lot of good things to say about User Benchmarks.

Eh, @stusser isn’t the arbiter of all things videogames. He wants you to stream everything you play, which IMO is a ridiculous notion.

While it’s correct in this case, I’ve seen it far off before. That site is shit. Don’t use it. Use Anandtech.

The 970 is not an option from the pull down menu.