Doom3 ready

PC Powerplay magazine. The thread is here.

You’ll need to sign up to see it. Unless of course you’d like me to screenshot it for you? The editors name is David.

“The topic or post you requested does not exist”

“The topic or post you requested does not exist”[/quote]

Wow, that’s real substantive. Sorry, I’m not familiar with Aussie publications, but is this a reputable mag? Once again, I’ll repeat review copy != gold.

It’s probably the most popular PC games mag in Australia, so yes . I didn’t want to be so blunt but you seemed to have a little trouble finding the thread. I trust these guys’ opinions… (except for the time they called CoD best game ever - it must have been retard day)

Anyone gets the feeling that Doom 3 for the pc is being treated like throw away release by Activision for the main show on the Xbox?

The build up just isn’t there. No ads, no pr hype, no nothing.

I didn’t have “trouble”, I clicked on the link and that’s what I got after I had registered. Regardless, I am still extrmemly skeptical. I have no doube he has a review copy, but a lot can happen between review copy and final game.

I remember some pretty good double-page print ads for Secret of Vulcan Fury, too.

I remember some pretty good double-page print ads for Secret of Vulcan Fury, too.[/quote]

Or the Warcraft Adventures ads that appeared in magazines the same month the game was canned.

No.

Heh. Might as well post the Planet Doom Image of the Day while you’re at it. ;)

What? No DVD version? Doom is doomed!

It’s a trap!

Look at the pretty pictures and the title line if you can’t verstehen the german.

edit: just the 6 CD thing on planetquake is fake. Dunno about the game’s gold status.

That’s because id controls everything.

There was hype back when id showed it at QuakeCon, but “when it’s done” really impacts Activision’s ability to run ads and such.

And how much hype does the game need, really? It’s already one of the most recognizeable brands out there. Activision can afford to launch their marketing capaign after the game ships, because it’s not like retailers are going to shuffle the game off the new releases shelf after a week or two. Plus, marketing for this game will be less a matter of trying to convince people to buy it and more a matter of just letting everyone know that it has arrived.

In the “for what it’s worth” department, the guy at the local Gamestop told me they expect Doom 3 in early August. He also said they were betting that Half-Life 2 would not come out until the holiday season to avoid sharing time with Doom 3.

Any idea if either of these suppositions seems likely?

The second one seems less likely. HL2 may not come out until the holidays, but I doubt that fear of sharing shelf space with Doom 3 would be the reason.

That timing sounds as likely as any … or at least as correct as anyone can guess with DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2. :) HL2 could always slip to 2005, tho.

Someone commented on whether Activision wasn’t really promoting the PC version, but … is there anyone left in the target audience left who doesn’t know DOOM 3 is coming? Who would the ads be aimed at? On the other hand, I’d bet there’s a lot of casual Xbox owners who play nothing but Madden / NHL / NBA and have virtually no idea what DOOM is – that’s who the commercials and ads are probably going after.

(and, if you advertise during the holiday season, you can also put in an additional PC plug in for the more casual gamers who haven’t bought the game yet.)

It takes a big man to apologize in P&R for being wrong about a war. Rywill was that man.

Apparently, we don’t need big men in the Games forum to apologize for being rude about a game going gold.

Honesty. Virtue. Compassion. We need you to check those at the door, folks.