Dorkapon Kingdoms

[sic]

Has anyone else picked this up? I’ve been playing it for a bit and really enjoying it, but I can’t figure out whether it’s strategically pretty deep or really shallow. There’s a lot of randomness to it, but the player has control over enough that it doesn’t feel too unfair.

That said, I haven’t really figured out any strategies yet and just sort of play it by ear for the most part.

EDIT: Maybe I should link it.

I haven’t played it, but my kids can’t stop obsessing over it and playing it every time I let them have the living room for themselves. Seems to be a cross between an RPG and a Mario Party game.

I am righteously tired of the music, which sounds like something swiped from Skies of Arcadia’s combat themes.

I read the thread, but still don’t understand one thing. What’s the difference between Dokapon Journey and Dokapon Kingdom?

Kingdom is the original Wii game, Journey is the DS version.

Ah, excellent. Ok, thanks :).

Oh, my bad. I just picked up the DS game a few days ago and didn’t see that, or even know there was a PS2/Wii version.

EDIT: Which makes the Three Moves Ahead crew calling it Dorkapon Kingdoms make a lot more sense.

Yeah, the Wii game rocks. Haven’t tried the DS game.

Wii/PS2 game. Given the choice I would always recommend the PS2 version.

Why? Both have hotseat modes.

Because I would never get a game for Wii unless it were either Wii-exclusive or specifically benefited from Wii features. Dokapon Kingdom doesn’t qualify.

Err ok. But if you have any HDTV, or any monitor capable of widescreen or progressive, then the Wii version is the one to get.

I’ve been thinking of this as “Dorkapon Kingdoms” since this thread started. “Gee,” I thought to myself, “the Japanese really need to name things better.”

Then I went to search for it at Gamestop and thought, “Wow! This must not be carried widely.”

Then I went to Amazon and it said "Do you mean “Dokapon Kingdoms.”

Aha!

I just noticed the “[sic]”

Well, good luck finding the game in stock anywhere. I’ve tried Game Crazy, Target, and Best Buy and no one carries it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dokapon+kingdom&x=0&y=0&sprefix=dokap

$20 in stock at Amazon, mine already shipped.

Just saw two pre-owned Wii versions at Gamestop. They’re doing the Buy 2 get the third free sale right now, too.

Can’t find Dokapon Kingdoms in Europe. Shame since strategy games for the Wii are so few in number already.

Hopefully that DS version will come to Europe. Is it strategy btw or RPG? Becasue RPG’s are so plentiful I don’t really need another one.

Dorkapon is pretty much half-and-half a JRPG and a strategy game. It’s also just fine as a single player game.

And I don’t recommend the DS version, Dorkapon Journey, as it’s really hard to track the bigger picture. It’s mostly faithful to the gameplay, but man, do you have to work for it as the game progresses.

-Tom

I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a strategy game when almost everything in the game is settled by random spinners. It’s more of a hybrid of JRPG and a really wacky Monopoly full of ways to abuse your friends. They proudly announce that it’s the friendship-killing game on the back of the box.

And the PS2 is quite capable of widescreen and progressive display, as long as you have component cables for it. (And the game supports it - which I suppose the PS2 version of Dokapon may not, I wouldn’t know. We did play on an HDTV but my friend doesn’t have component for his PS2.)

Two points:

1. Inasmuch as a board game can be a strategy game, I’d say it’s a strategy game.

2. I disagree about the spinners. They can be influenced and entirely subverted. In fact, that’s a significant part of the strategy. Futhermore, there’s a ton of gameplay beyond the act of how many spaces you move, which is the only time the spinners come into play. There’s town development, inventory, gear, spells, combat, and so forth.

-Tom, resident Dorkapon evangelist, apologist, and all-around fanboi