Dota 2's tutorial is so bad, fans are willing to pay to make a new one

Title Dota 2's tutorial is so bad, fans are willing to pay to make a new one
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When March 8, 2021

In anticipation of an influx of new players from the upcoming Netflix anime, this already funded IndieGoGo campaign strives to have modders create a Dota 2 tutorial for newbies. There is an in-game tutorial in Dota 2. It's bad..

Read the full article

See also paradox tutorials. Losing proper weighty manuals was bad enough, but man, I’m not relying on some poorly updated fanwiki and/or screechy voiced 12 year old Russian children on YouTube to teach me how to play your badly documented vidja in the year of our lord 2021

Unless that game is animal crossing of course

I think a crap tutorial was the downfall of Heroes of the Storm. The mechanics are the best of any MOBA I’ve played, but it’s also the most vulnerable to the weakness of just one bad player tanking the team. The importance is on 5v5 team fights when objectives are up. Just one bad player deciding to lane farm or split push or do mercenary camps at that time makes it a 4v5 that their team is all but guaranteed to lose.

Its tutorial is also bad. SO many problem players could have been corrected with a tutorial that simply spells out: objectives > mercs > laning, and “don’t go looking for team fights when outnumbered or down in levels”.

Followed by “EVENTUALLY you will know the game enough to occasionally break with that strategy, but you are at least 100 hours of play time away from that point”.

I didn’t realise that as part of the new new player experience, they revamped the bots, so they now use all the new features that have been added over the last couple years, and seem to be generally smarter at playing. That’s made me a lot more interested to jump back in as I mostly play bot matches these days.