dotAGE -- Get the capitalization right, you lazy villagers!

Someone in the Against the Storm thread said that game would work better if it were turn-based. That’s patent nonsense, but regardless, their imagined game basically exists and it’s called dotAGE.

(Is it called that because it’s presented in pixel art? Or because your character is an old man? Presumably both!)

To me, this really feels like a worker placement board game that gradually colonizes more and more and more of your massive virtual table, asking you to spread your village across the map, constructing buildings where your villagers can forage, farm, breed, and who knows what else.

Your goal, best I could tell, is to manage your way through periodic apocalyptic curses, which put the squeeze on your infrastructure in a variety of ways. It’s a roguelike, so presumably you ultimately circle the drain of deadly decline… or plunge down a sudden cataract of catastrophe!

I made a point to play this before the Quarterlies, because it seemed like a potential contender for my 2023 list. I think I played the starting ten or so turns about six times, each time disengaging and deciding to come back later, when I would start over, feeling I would have a better grasp on what to do and what matters. In my last attempt, I reached the onset of a wave of curses, and the mechanics for navigating them left me so nonplussed I put the game down for good.

But I gather once you find a groove with this game it can be really rewarding! I bet some other folks here can give a better account of its positive qualities than I can. But it seems like a game worth talking about. It’s the work (over nine years) of a single Italian developer, so the Indie is spread thickly on this one!

Someone get in here like the (titular?) village elder, chew me out for my lack of character, and regale us with stories of your glorious past with this game.

DotAGE (just released today, with a demo) looks pretty good!

No one else picked this up yet?

Put a few hours into it and it is good.

Feels quite a lot like a solo-dev turn-based Against the Storm. Though a bit more explicitly boardgamey / worker placement. Meta-progression unlocks lots of new features for new runs. Runs seem to be a LOT longer than in AtS though, seeing reports of 10 hours on the steam reviews which seems a bit lengthy

It is a 1.0 release not EA! Dev is still tuning the difficulty and adding QoL improvements

I saw that dotAGE was covered on Three Moves Ahead’s most recent episode. I do want to give it a try.

I played the demo, and I thought it was a clever little thing. I enjoyed it, it just didn’t hook me to the point where I I had to keep going. When I hit a slump in the other stuff I’m playing it’s on the list for sure though.

I’ve been putting some hours dotAGE. I wouldn’t say it’s a builder so much as a worker placement game with tile improvements - it all feels very boardgamey.

You have to supply, and upgrade, and maximize a village while some unseen gods keep throwing omens, twists of fate and prophecies of doom at you from different “domains” like Heat, Cold, Disease, Fear and Nature which you have to defeat by producing the resource that counters them. If you manage to defeat them, something great happens to your village, if you don’t, something bad happens.

I haven’t failed in a lot of truly interesting ways yet, but my first game collapsed when I couldn’t feed my villagers in the winter, which led to a bunch of disease points, and I didn’t have any infrastructure ready to deal with either the famine, or the disease points, or as it turned out my villagers dying - I had to research graves in a hurry - so over the course of the following calamities, my villagers eventually died off.

Which has me paying a lot more attention to what I’m building and why on my second playthrough, which is pretty fun.

The events are all telegraphed in advanced so you have x number of turns to prepare, and every time you go through an event, you receive meta-progression points that you can use to unlock new buildings, and resources, and events (good and bad) which changes the way you’ll build and strategize in future playthroughs.

In my last playthrough, the way people dealt with the Heat domain was to build cooling puddles. In my current playthrough, they build giant windmills to cool things down. In my current playthrough, I’m hunting birds to stock up for winter, but I just unlocked rabbits, so now they can appear as a resource in future playthroughs.

It’s a really good game and I highly recommend it, but I think it’s important that it be in the category of “neat little strategy games” and not “city builders”.

I love it. Reminds me of Uwe Rosenberg designing Rimworld.

I played some DotAGE after listening to the 3 Moves Ahead podcast. I started off with 2 games on hard and 1 on normal. It leans very heavy into being able to work out how many of different resources you need, plus knowing how much and when to increase your population. I think the pop management is pretty critical. Things go well in this game, until they don’t. It can be very hard to overcome an oversight that you make.

I didn’t make it terribly far, I completed the 4th prophecy age. In one of my games I was pretty comfortable, handling all the events the game was throwing at me, until something happened and 3 of my people got sick. When they get sick, they don’t work. But worse yet, they start ticking up the disease counter faster. Much faster than I could counteract it even though I had a couple buildings for it - but I failed to create the building that could heal sick people.

Well, I built it, but that building then needs to create the resource needed to heal a sick person. So I did that and then needed to take a turn to heal 1 person, build another resource, heal another person - all while my disease counter kept growing. Then I got a disease event which I couldn’t handle because my counter was so high, which caused people to die, which caused my doom counter to grow, which kept snowballing until I had another 30 drop dead at once with like 9 left to try and pick up the pieces.

Needless to say they couldn’t, which is fine. I guess my point is you can get yourself into a spiraling situation pretty quickly buy just overlooking 1 facet of your town. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, I enjoyed the 3 games I lost, but it can be a bit frustrating when things are going great and then blam, they are not.

It’s fun trying to juggle what resources to get and when to get them and I see myself playing this some more. I feel in Against the Storm I can adapt a bit and rebound from a mistake, while in DotAGE I need to be more disciplined about where I have my workers spend their time.

I was just thinking of picking this up so appreciate the review. I’m curious because it is turn based, which is better for me with my aging reflexes.

I picked up DotAGE and haven’t gotten far but it nails ‘just one more turn.’

Yeah, when I sat down to play it, I played it for a while.

Hmm, I suspect a dedicated Dotage thread might be in the cards. If someone doesn’t do it soon, I might have to peel off some of these posts so I can participate with my own thoughts. As a turn-based Against the Storm, it’s working for me for the most part, but I feel it has…issues.

I was going to post my impressions of dotAGE, but decided Tom was right and there should be a thread. So sorry for kicking it off with a bit of negativity, but I look forward to hearing what this game is like when it gets its hooks in you!

Excuse you, @marquac! Also, I hope your belly feels better soon. Enjoy your three-day break. :)

I love when games like this let you rename your little dudes and dudettes. Fortunately, I’ve fallen back to playing on “easy” while I figure some things out – aaah, so that’s how farming works! – so hopefully this settlement’s fate won’t be so horrific as the last one, when murder and disease killed half my peeps and then a sinkhole opened up directly beneath my goddamn village hall! Did the game do that on purpose, or did the RNG just call up the single most uniquely bad location for the sinkhole? I’m thinking the former and that this game has it out for me.

Oh dear. I do hope I get better. Also, that Symptomatic quick is making me worry that I might be more prone to sickness. Save me, @tomchick!