DPReview is Dead.

Sad day…

Wow. Mid 2000’s I was all over the site, trying to figure out which 3, 4, or (gasp) 5 megapixel point and shoot to buy.

I was happiest I’d say with my Fuji, great blue skies. Couple super-zooms, eventually got a DSLR that I still take out once in awhile, but my Pixel 2XL took objectively better pictures.

Wouldn’t it be more profitable to lay off the staff and have AI write garbage reviews for a few years?

We were discussing it in the Tech Layoffs thread.

But the good news is the Internet Archive is working to archive all of DP Review before April 10.

It’s total bullshit that Amazon won’t even keep the content around. The storage space and server is absolutely trivial to AWS. Meanwhile, this is 25 years of digital photo technology history that really can’t be found anywhere else. I saw a photographer on YouTube comparing it to the Library of Alexandria burning down. The formative years of digital photography is all there.

Yeah, it is unbelievably sad to me. This is a resource that I’ve used maybe as much as QT3 over the years. Such a wealth of information about all kinds of photography. Next I’ll be reading that HeadFi is closing down and I might lose it at that point, hehe.

It’s crazy that not only is Amazon not keeping the content around, but they’re not willing to spin it back out of Amazon. Basically they don’t want it, don’t want to maintain it, but don’t want anyone else to have it either. WTF.

Yep. This sucks. Been going there forever. Bought so many cameras and lenses after reading reviews and forum posts. Read the forums thousands of times. Hate it.

A little good news.

Glad to hear it. For anyone who followed the DPR TV guys on YouTube, they’re moving over to Pets Pixel. Their video reviews are very informative and often hilarious.

Funny thing. I had noticed that DP Review was still posting new content since it supposedly closed.

Well…

That’s awesome news. Couldn’t figure out why they were shutting it down instead of selling it. Probably because companies like Amazon and MS can’t be bothered to put effort into anything that garners them less than 9 digits…

… and yet I’ve never even heard nor seen nor even passed by Gear Patrol in all the my years on the net. And somehow they have more funding than dpreview?

It seems like the practical effect was to get rid of Chris and Jordan.

Almost a year since the news first announced.

I did find a podcast last night with Chris, Jordan, and Richard Butler talking about what happened. Well, as much as they can in regards to the NDAs they all probably signed.