Dragon Age: Inquisition

The tactical camera just sucks. None of you can honestly defend it if you actually use it.

At one point i was doing a rift and trying to close the rift. I couldn’t zoom high enough to see the portal and my F key context use of it wasn’t working even when i seemed to be under it. I had to go back to normal camera and try to mess around with it to actually see where the rift was so that i could manually click it.

Even with how bad the party AI is in this game compared to other entries, i still rarely use the tactical camera, because it is often more trouble than it is worth.

It isn’t game breaking, but it is an obvious token effort to appease their PC fans.

I don’t love the tactical camera, but it works okay for me, on the rare occasion I use it. But then, I’m on the PS4. Maybe it’s worse on the PC?

Can we remove upgrades from weapons and armor? I’d like to remove and save some upgrades before selling the weapon/armor hosting them.

Do companions level up if we leave them out of our party? Should I be rotating in companions to make sure they keep leveling, or will they autolevel if I ignore them for a while and have them rejoin 4 levels from now?

You can remove and swap out upgrades from weapons and armor to your heart’s content. The one exception to that is runes, which can only be replaced.

Your companions autolevel to your current party xp so just take who you want when you want and don’t worry about it.

I have made my peace with the tactical camera. It does suck, no body is arguing that. But if you can work around it’s flaws, which are legion, it’s absolutely required in some nightmare fights. I like using it, the slow measured tactical pace is great now that I have figured it out.

Shit like having to switch out of tactical to reliably close rifts still remains, but you do that at the end of a fight anyways.

Yes people the tactical camera sucks. No need to start every post with that statement.

Well, the tactical camera sucks, but… (sorry cobra!)

Most of the time i try to close rifts mid fight to do damage and stun enemies. ESPECIALLY the terror demons which can stun lock your entire party if things don’t go perfectly.

I was closing the rifts mid fight on normal too but on nightmare mode I just gave up on that tactic, it just gets me killed.

I dunno, I’ve close a lot of rifts without ever being stun locked by those guys. Maybe they don’t do it much on normal difficulty? I mean, unless you count 3 seconds of 2 characters being knocked down as stun locked. What annoys me more is opening a rift and discovering that it’s higher level than I expected and that all the first round mobs are wraiths who all target the same DPS char and just knock them down instantly.

Actually what annoys me more than that is random CTDs. I installed the latest beta drivers to stop a repeatable CTD in a cut scene, and now the game randomly decides with about a 1 hour half-life to crash, mostly in combat.

You pretty much need your tank to do the taunt yell before doing it and then to do some sort of movement move to get to it in my experience. Any time i tried to rush it without doing this, a monster would change target to attack me. Luck helps too. I can’t always do it, but it is a HUGE advantage if i can get it disrupted.

The danger for me on NM is that unless i micromanage the terror fights a lot, i will get hit by one after another and they do a ton of damage. You really can’t survive getting hit by 6 teleports and in a fight against 3 of them, it is VERY easy for that to happen since they tend to hit you in waves. It becomes a bit more realistically avoidable if you have a movement ability like the mage’s blink walk thing. Then you can rush a disrupt rift and once the terror demons are stunned, they lose their momentum and the inquisition wins another victory.

My kingdom for diminishing returns on stuns that affect the player’s party!

Finally beat the warden storyline boss. In a last ditch attempt I turned off almost everything for my characters and did barriers manually while making sure my two mages only used 80% of their mana. The difference was a quick wipe just piloting the rogue -> partial tactical usage and almost won but died to lack of potions at the last 10% -> full tactical view use and all barrier management which only used two potions for minor mishaps.

So the tactical view can certainly accomplish wonders on nightmare if you take the time.

Reading up on this guy he was pretty much my anti boss for various reasons of resistances and behaviors so it was a very rewarding win. It helps that the map wasn’t one that really causes fights with the tactical view.

I’m going through a second playthrough on Nightmare with the following restricted party -

Me (Range Rogue), Cole, Solas, Blackwall. The three characters I neglected my first game. Also, no KE cheese, and 1 mage max to keep barrier rotation and dispel shenanigans to a minimum. So far no wipes, though only starting Crestwood at level 10 now.

Sided with the Templars this time and ugh, the Mages get a much better storyline and quest. Also, does this mean I’m going to have to fight these hulking tower shield using dudes all game instead of wimpy red templars? If so, uggggh. They are annoying with 1 mage.

@Gendal: Thanks for the answer on party XP.

I’m glad to hear I can swap out upgrades, but I can’t figure out how to remove them. Examine the weapon in the inventory screen? I’ll go try again…

You have to go to the modify weapons place at the blacksmith I believe.

It’s really annoying, there are four crafting stations for equipment. Craft weapons, craft armour, modify weapons, modify armour.

Its a pause mode. The camera usually cant zoom out far enough to see your whole party on the screen, let alone the whole battlefield. It is lip service to the PC fan base.

Its right stick. It does help to cycle through targets because things get pretty visually confusing with effects all over the screen. But sometimes you click the stick and it moves to nothing, like a blank space on the battlefield. Also cycling seems to leave up the target’s info panel thing so hopping around a crowded melee can do more harm than good in terms of being able to get a tactical picture.

QFT. It’s objectively worse than DAO. For a game that is by PC Gamers FOR PC Gamers! How does that happen?

One advantage of a Rogue Inquisitor…I wait a couple seconds into a wave spawning, all the demons pick a target, then I stealth and move under the rift, nothing attacking me, disrupt the rift. It works 95% of the time. This is just Hard mode, I think it would work on Nightmare though.

Super annoying. The interface for determining 1) What your characters have 2) What you can make 3) Making it 4) Check existing upgrades. 5) Craft them or them? 6)Equip the finished item. It is a ridiculous wasteful process. Ands its a similarly irritating process to determine what to do with looted gear. 1) Look at equipped gear 2) Look at looted gear 3) Decide to equip new gear, move to Valuables or save for upgrade removal?

It’s a pause mode that allows me to give orders to each individual member of my party and then hold down the trigger to slowly play out the combat, releasing when I want to update my orders. I’m not sure what kind of magic you were expecting, but it allows me to have complete tactical control over the battlefield, and to have a more strategic viewpoint than was available in DA2. That’s what I was expecting and I like it very much.

Did they actually say that? Because for anyone paying any attention to their presentations it’s always been clear that the game was primarily designed for console controllers. I watched dozens and dozens of Bioware presentations of DA:I play and can only recall one single presentation, a TwitchTV livestream late in development, in which they showed the PC Mouse and Keyboard interface instead of the controller interface.

I don’t know why you continue to be insistent that the tactical mode was put there specifically for PC players. It was advertised as bringing back more strategic control, particularly for console users, and it works very well for that.

Cross posting from the Bargains thread: Dragon Age: Inquisition is the deal of the day at Amazon. All versions are $44.99, including the PC download option which unlocks on Origin.

Can you zoom in the console versions? When I plugged in a controller I couldn’t immediately see how to do that. With no zoom, the tac mode didn’t seem as obviously useless, given that it provides some.

I’m not sure relaxing the height restriction will magically improve the way it works, if the game wasn’t built around having it work that way. While we’re at it though, surely first person is doable :) There is a mod for greater zoom for anyone who insists.

40 hours into the game and I’m still perfectly fine with a mouse and keyboard setup. Even tactical mode works well for me. I don’t understand why there seems to be so much rage against the controls for this game, to be honest.

Playing with a controller compared to keyboard and mouse has been night and day for me. The controller is so much more responsive and I don’t find myself fighting the controls like I did with KB/M.

It has been their catch phrase for some time, actually:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Dp7HeW9vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8x5G9o-odU
http://cargocollective.com/pozlang/Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Made-for-PC-Gamers-By-PC-Gamers