Dragon Age: Inquisition

Well, i’m a warrior in trespasser so i have to deal with combat roll doing much more damage than most of my abilities, being AOE, being an escape ability, having almost no cooldown and taking very little stamina.

I’ve heard that some of the later abilities in the same tree (battlemaster i think it was called but i’m not at my computer at the moment) are similarly broken.

But what did they do to Knight Enchanter?

Exactly. He’s doing something cringe-worthy on purpose to embarrass himself and make Yuna laugh.

The blade ability does a lot less damage and has charges. Charges are gained by casting non knight enchanter spells and consumed by using the blade.

So the playstyle changes from melee to spending 75% of your time casting the general mage spells and then every so often running in for a spirit blade. That or you just use spirit blade for the cooldown reduction ability and then focus on casting general mage spells. The class can still probably do ok, but if you liked the play style of being a melee mage, it is basically gone now.

Ah boo hiss. I am annoyed at this even though I’ll likely not replay it.

One thing that I notice going to nightmare instead of hard is that I now have to pay more attention to enemy levels. I think the first time I played I pretty much did all of Hinterlands in one swoop, maybe skipping a dragon. Now, I run into roadbloacks that I just can’t handle.

I’m still not sure if I should continue playing nightmare with the trial that reduces experience by 50%. Since I want to get to the new content maybe I should at least remove the experience trial so I can level up more quickly and handle the DLC. Although, I read that Jaws and Trespasser makes more sense as end game content so I’d probably have to play through the campaign anyways.

Another thing i’ve noticed is that on nightmare with trials on (probably the special ability one), you run in to elite mages that have a barrier with crazy regeneration in the hinterlands. My entire new party can beat on them forever and i cant take them down without dispel.

So the DLC that came out for this, it’s pretty essential to the overall experience? Or the base game is enough?

The base game is plenty, but the DLC was pretty good. It depends if 100 hours is enough Inquisition for you :-)

As I understand it, Trespasser is essential, the other two are More Stuff ™.

There’s sadly no GOTY-upgrade or season pass so buying a copy of the GOTY is a tad cheaper than buying the story DLC…

DA:I is a LONG game on its own --I mean wow – but you know I had fun with the dlc – I think I did them all for some reason. But one thing I should tell you --if you DO do all the dlc before you complete the game (except trespasser) – you get really powerful in the main game. Maybe TOO powerful.

I did like this game – but I thought the combat/action mechanics for melee were way off. Ended up playing a mage and having a much better time. They improved it a bit over time but …

Cool. Since I already have the base game, thanks to EA Access. I’ll probably just play the base game. And if I can get through it, make a decision on getting Trespasser at the end. Especially because:[quote=“KristiGaines, post:1741, topic:73145”]
if you DO do all the dlc before you complete the game (except trespasser)
[/quote]

the above quote implies that Trespasser takes place after the main game. So I don’t really have to make a decision on it now. Plus my one attempt to play this game late last year (when it was first added to EA Access) was a dismal failure, since I hated how long it took to take down trash monsters at the beginning of the game. And the fact that I had just finished Witcher 3 didn’t help either. But once it’s been long enough post-Witcher 3, I think I’m almost ready to head back into another RPG soon. We’ll see how No Man’s Sky pans out, and then I’ll start this concurrently I think.

Ok – before you do that - it occurs to me that Trespasser may have some pre-final game elements as well. It was a huge patch. I’d have to check on that…

So, any deals on the game yet (for PC) or a GOTY Version with everything in it?
Seeing as it is a DRM game I figure it should be ~5$.

IIRC it does add some pre- final game weapons and functionality, I think the ability s to share recipes between all your characters was added in trespasser.

Whew, so I finally upgraded from my 7 year old overclocked-to-buggery Core2Duo, to a stingy bottom-of-the-range i3 Skylake (m/b and RAM being future-proofed for a cpu bump later, when I can afford it), which seems to be a decent enough performer for games.

But the important thing is I can finally play this game, and I must say, it’s got a few clunky things about it but it’s a hell of a lot better than I remember DA2 being, as far as Elfroot-picking simulators go.

It’s no Origins (gameplay wise, at least - arguably it might be better in terms of story and characters though I can’t say which side I fall on) but it’s definitely better than 2, you are correct. Unfortunately most of its continued narrative reflects some of the dumbest parts of that game. Oh well.

The Tactical view is more or less too frustrating to use, and the party AI thing (where you set their behaviour) is terribly limited compared to DA:O.

I was actually one of those odd people who quite enjoyed “winding them up and watching them go” in DA:O and playing most of the game as my own character with complex conditions on the party’s AI behaviour. It actually worked quite well for general world-wandering combat. And of course one could use Tactical in difficult fights, and that worked very well.

This game though, my ranged characters just keep blundering into trouble - which is frustrating, given that Tactical is so sub-par.

But yeah, it’s immersive as hell, with occasionally amazing graphics, and overall a lot of fun to play.

I still think Bioware’s KOTOR did this best. You could play it third person, controlling one character, but still pause the game and switch to the others in the party and queue a bunch of orders, then go back to your character and control them through the rest of the fight. The AI behavior thing was interesting but I hated that they got rid of the ability to queue a bunch of commands. That was the big difference to me between DA: O and KOTOR, and it made KOTOR a much better game, combat-wise, for me. It also had a better story, but that’s an argument for a different day.