Dragon Quest XI - Echos of an Elusive Age

14- 15 just finished up helping the prince in the desert city.

1. Gold fever.

rham my advice to you is to just do more fights. Some of the weapon perks at the highest levels help you with clearing fights faster. But combat is quick and easy. It doesn’t have to be drudgery I use repeated combats to check on the ai (auto mode) and learn a bit. Plus you always want to see the new monster animations! Some silly snake thing making you dance or something. Just crazy.

Hey how did you all spec the main character? I went two handed and I think it is very good. I saw scott above talking about two one-handed weapons.

Yeah, I’m dual-wielding two swords and it’s sublime. Like, even less than lime. Wait. What?

I’ve gotten a chance to play with Greatswords and they are amazing_ and I’ve seen what a good shield can do as well, so I don’t think there are any real wrong answers here.

Yes. I thought so. Weapon setting probably will equal out in the end. This game has all the charms. You are talking to people, running some quests, having a big time with your group until BAM --boss fight. And then katie bar the door. You can die fast.

Btw anyone listening in this may be the best Jrpg port or whatever that is in existence. Beautiful graphics. Scroll up a great game.

Dual wielding 2 Falcon Blades +3 here.

I can’t wait.

For those on the fence, I’ve been playing RPG’s since the early 80’s but have never gotten into JRPG’s - not my thing. Bought this based on the feedback here and while the combat has been simplistic and the story is trite so far (I’m level 19) it’s been a rollicking good time. It’s a mainline to all my pleasure points. It’s just well done.

Aaaand… done! What a satisfying game, from start to finish. But AM I finished? I know there is some post-game content and from what I remember hearing in the Kotaku review, it’s incredibly important content. I’ll dive in after work. I’m really glad I have a reason to keep playing this, I don’t really want to be done with it yet. Which is rare for me with a game I see credits roll on.

Nah, I’m fine with the difficulty as it is. I tend to try a fight every time I see a monster I haven’t seen before, and then just do what gets in the way. It’s working fine so far and I have to think what I must do on most fights, so it’s ideal for me. And if I need anything, I can grind a bit (in a good sense - fights are fun in this game) and just level up, so it’s fine.

I don’t have enough skill points to unlock dual wield yet. I tried greatsword, but I find the duo of Miracle Slash and shield too good to not use, so I’m using sword and shield for now. I’ll very likely switch to dual wield as soon as I’m able too, though, because I love dual wield in games in general. ;)

This is where I was level wise.

I tend to avoid grinding, only doing fights while scavenging for materials for crafting in the overworld. I will stop and fight battles when I know I am close to a level-up.

This is actually identical to how I’m playing. Some enemies I actually enjoy fighting so I’ll tackle them a little more often, or if I need a material I know one type has (thanks to the handy Item menu in Misc. you can track where you can find all the materials) so Erik can try to steal some extras. It’s a fantastic system.

I do keep 10 or so holy waters on me at all times for travel in specific areas where you don’t see the enemies. Those are handy for keeping frustration away when you just want to get some where.

Man, I guess everyone went for Steal on Eric while I am just beelining for dual-wield on him :-D

I actually did that, went straight to dual wielding, but I eventually did pick it up (and then never remembered I had it and the auto-AI never uses it, so you have to keep him on Follow Orders AND remember he can do it… :P)

Yup, same here. Dual wielding, then steal. I barely used steal yet, in fact.

Yeah, I went straight for steal and deftness buffs and he’s the only one I keep on follow orders.

Same, went to dual wield on Eric asap. As well as the MC. I thought I could DW whips on Sylv, but sadly, that was not to be. Thankfully you can respec at any church!

An early game enemy dual-wields boomerangs and I always wanted to try that with Erik, maybe a future play through.

DUAL WELD. I kill me!

It’s superb for “early” metal slime farming. The metal slime boomerang ability typically produces 2-3 damage on average when he dual wields. Later, you want to stick to his crit ability I think (I don’t have that yet; I’m like an hour into post Yggdrasil).