Drox Operative (Soldak's New Game)

I’d take the DLC, I think. It’ll last longer.

It is, adds a space station full of stuff.

And it won’t give you bad breath.

What does winning/losing a sector do?

You get a win screen with the option to go to a new sector by clicking an icon in the upper right of your screen next to the mini map. You get XP and an award cache with a bunch of items. You can immediately move on or finish up unfinished business in the present sector.

You can set the difficulty of the next sector but I don’t recall the details. Others can fill in the blanks.

Edit: Funny thing. I just got a military win in my present game. I thought of your question and so I figured I’d pop in here fast while it was fresh in my mind. :)

Addendum: My experience so far has been to ally with the strongest race and do shit for them for a while. Then you win. I’m sure others will correct me.

Thanks. And if you lose? Just move to the next one?

In my current game, the Drox just demanded I kill the Dryad in the next hour, which I’m not inclined to do.

Honestly I don’t know. I haven’t lost yet. On normal.

Those stupid Drox demands can be turned off in the options screen. I enjoyed the game much more after doing so.

Hey Drox, I am the one who knocks!

Cool, good to know.

Won my first military victory. The “lose” timer had started, I was about to face a military loss as I had not allied with the most powerful race. So I flew over to one of their planets, offered an alliance and gave them all the technology I had scavenged and sweet mystery of life they agreed. Boom, military victory.

One thing I get a kick out of in the game options menu is the option to “Hide Crappy Components.” Game won’t show items it thinks are of little value to the player.

Is that what that timer was? Okay. I was at 14 some odd minutes killing the other guy for a mission and boom, I won.

Good lord, when things go sideways, they can do it in a hurry. I wish I had a better idea what was happening, lol.

Is the only manual available to be found on the Soldak website?

didn’t realize people were playing this again. I’d be up for some coop sometime possibly to stream as well if anyone is game. I loved the game but never really put a ton of time into it.

From the manual:
“When you have conquered a sector through Military, Diplomatic, Economic, Fear, or Legend means, you can finish up whatever you need to and can then start a new sector. Make sure you open your reward chest(s) though. Once you are done, you can start a new sector by clicking on the blinking won game icon. Don’t worry; your ship, crew, and components all carry over into the new sector.”

I won a sector but I moved on to the next before opening the reward chest(s). Guess I didn’t see them. The screen can get a bit cluttered.

From what I see in the Steam guides this is how victories break down:

• Military gives you a medium loot chest and a piece of loot related to the race that you supported
  • Diplomacy gives you a small chest for each surviving race.
  • Economic gives you a chest of loot and half the money you made them.
  • Fear gives you a small chest from each surviving race, similar to diplomacy.
  • Legend gives you a chest and a nice XP boost.

I started a new sector last night (lost the first because of the Drox mission). A few minutes in I got a chest and have no clue why.

Sometimes side quests or even an alien faction will drop a gift for you.

Controller is much nicer. Am I missing some way to change it to “hold to fire”. Having to constantly click the button to fire is killing my RSI issues.

Just hold down the trigger and it’ll shoot at the nearest enemy until it’s dead.

LOL, is that what I am doing wrong? OK, once the enemy is dead I have to release and click again. I expected it to be hold and just keep blasting at the closest enemy. So much is going on in combat, I am still trying to get it down.

Thanks Brian.