Drox Operative (Soldak's New Game)

Try toggling to window mode and back with alt-enter.

Or maybe try run in the borderless window mode if that fails.

Also try deleting the user.cfg from C:\ProgramData\DroxOperative\User\ (the folder may be elsewhere if not on win10)

Thanks for the input. I had already tried using alt-enter and deleting my user files, but neither made a difference. The Borderless Window advanced option didn’t, either. For some reason, it doesn’t like that resolution. Are you running it successfully at 2560x1440?

Yeah I am at that res too and it’s okay. The other thing is maybe any DPI scaling you’re using in windows? I’m not using any.

That seems to have worked, but it still freaked out after setting scaling back to 100%. Weird stuff. Thanks for the remedy!

No worries! :)

Yeah DPI scaling breaks a lot of indie games these days. :/

Guys the base game is on sale today for $4. A STEAL. BUY IT ALREADY.

https://chrono.gg/

So this seems like a really ugly and overwhelming game. Any advice on how to not feel overwhelmed and swimming in interface unknowns?

Just keep playing and clicking on the question marks and trying to keep paying attention to what the hundreds of tutorial messages say?

Edit: Oh hey, @tylertoo’s link above seems like a good place to start. Thank you, kind Sir.

Take it small at first. Start killing things, then, when you find a faction, see if they have any quests for you in that system. You’ll eventually find better loot, uncover the whole system map, and level up a bit as you move around the system. Eventually it’ll click I’m sure!

So I’m having trouble understanding what this game is. Your post seems to imply this is some kind of adventure game where you’re traveling and doing quests? I thought it was like a 4X or something?

You’re basically inside a 4X that the AI is playing around you. You’re a mercenary that can work for or against any of the empires. So it’s an ARPG with quests and something of a meta game of factional relations.

It’s an action RPG like the rest of Soldak’s games (Dins Curse, etc). It’s just that the setting is within a 4X style strategy game instead of looting dungeons.

It is, indeed, an ugly and overwhelming game. And I’m pretty sure the AI had a lot more fun playing it than I did.

The core ideas are great – as in all of the Soldak games – but the antiquated presentation, UI, and polish are not.

I love the idea of Drox Operative, but I bounced hard off the ARPG controls and gameplay. Finding mobs just waiting for me to get near to activate and swarm was too hard to reconcile with the 4X metagame. I’ll give it another go someday, but Space Rangers still reigns supreme for me.

Yeah, this. I like the idea of a talented, one-man indie shop producing unique gameplay. But the reality felt like a mediocre game from the 90’s, and I appear to have been born without a nostalgia gene.

For my part, Drox is still my favorite Soldak game, and one of my favorite ARPG’s of all time. I’ve played dozens of games and not one of them has been the same - there’s frequently been downright fascinating emergent behavior and I’ve had as many glorious last stands as I have glorious victories.

I want to thank this thread for reminding me to play this more.

AGREED. clinks mugs

No clinks for me?

::sniff::

After blowing thousands of dollars on home improvements recently, and in an effort to keep myself from spending even more money by buying new games like The Division 2 or Devil May Cry 5, I reinstalled this game tonight and played it for the first time in about six years. I’ve been meaning to get back to it all this time, but something new always came along instead.

I never got very far on my first run through thanks to Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2, but now I’m back. I do plan to pick up the upcoming Grim Dawn expansion, so this will hopefully hold me until then.

I don’t have the expansion for this game though, so I need to avoid reading about it or I might want to pick that up too, heeeeeeee.

I created a Human first, but next time around I think I will look through the various races and see if I can get one with a much higher movement speed, because currently I’m plodding along at a super slow speed and a huge turn radius.