Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction

Side note: Post-patch, Bombshell dropped back to a mixed rating. The game is yet to sell over 5,000 copies on Steam.

After Bombshell’s terrible reveal, high price point, and public legal squabbles, I think both the game and developers biggest problem from day one remains communication. Interceptor and 3DR decided to promote the game as an arpg, instead of an overhead shooter (with lite rpg mechanics) ala Take No Prisoners and Mageslayer which is what it is, and that was a huge mistake. Because of this, reviewers compared Bombshell to Torchlight II, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran and the like, and since Interceptor’s game doesn’t have classes, choices between unique skills that fundamentally change how you play or fantastic loot, it’s automatically going to be reviewed lower than those other titles as it lacks the features required to remain competitive. That, and it’s just a bad game.

Also, the last thing 3D Realms needs is more controversy, so maybe don’t hire a marketing director who publicly defended Donald Sterling.

At least the Build-powered prequel looks amazing. It’s being by 7 of the most talented mappers, programmers, and artists in the Duke modding community, and is completely standalone (Q4 2016).

That’s pretty cool, a new Duke using build.

Yeah, but is it really? They have lot of ground to make up after the DNF debacle. I have to wonder if the Duke brand has not been irrevocably damaged.

I agree it’s been seriously tarnished, but those images are from a Bombshell prequel made by modders. To be fair, that brand is seriously tarnished, too!

Besides Bryan Turner and Scott Miller, no one involved in this current iteration of 3D Realms contributed to DNF. They’re mostly based out of Denmark. It’s a similar situation to nu-id. Virtually no one at the studio besides Kevin Cloud and Tim Willits worked on anything before Rage. They’re the same studio in name only.

I just think it’s cool to use a decade old engine for a new game.