Dungeon Encounters - With Mistress Square Enix

It works, Switch with Pro controller here though. As mentioned, it stops you at the next intersection or encounter.

Hold the button and tap a direction, and keep holding the button. You can also set the button to ‘toggle’ instead in the options.

I would love an auto advance where the character moved on it’s own and you just stop it when you need to or when it hits numbered spaces. Cant imagine later levels with thousands of tiles!

Does this become challenging at some point? I’m at level 4 and haven’t had to make a decision yet…

I know that’s early, but A) games should be showing off their challenges early and B) I’d hate to get to level 40 and still not have made a decision.

What kind of decision are you looking to make? I don’t think there’s much to be found other than gear selection.

Who to attack, what to attack with, who to put in the party, sure, gear selection, etc… you know, the “series of interesting decisions” that combine to make a, how do you say… “game”

“Use the best gear you can get” or “attack the guy you can kill first” is not an interesting decision, that’s just following instructions. But I wanna play a game!

I’d say the decisions of who to attack when and with what become increasingly involved as it goes and new enemy types/abilities are rolled out. I’m only on like floor 17, but I find myself having to be much more careful with my actions.

Just making sure you weren’t looking for plot choices or character development.

Hell no, there aren’t any well-written video games and this isn’t gonna be the first! The farther away games get from trying to have stories, the better, in my opinion. (I’m only half-kidding.) That’s what drew me to this one.

I love the little character blurbs, actually. That’s good writing.

anyone using the active time battle option (ATB). What’s the advantage for making the game more overwhelming? I tried it out on easy targets, but I imagine when the enemies get tougher you really need to be fast in your decission making,

Oh boy, that’s the only way to play the game!
It feeds on you fumbling around sometimes. Two of my most memorable moments were horrible and stupid decisions.
(and yes, there is an insane difficulty bump at a very late point in the game when the monsters catch up on the speed metagame)

really? I need a second opinion.

Hahaha, I had reached dungeon level 13 or so yesterday with my second party. My original party was back at the academy chilling while my second party, originally a backup, had become more interesting and was now my lead. I’m doing really well, I thought. I was slaughtering everything easily in two turns.

This encounter has a really high number. I’m sure I’ll be fine. Zero turn party wipe. This game is awesome.

Overall spoiler:

It is a really cool aspect of the game. Levels matter, but are incredibly easy to catch up because of the “2 hit kills” minima formula of a lot of encounters, which gives even a level 1 character some chance of survival. The first wipe is usually a shocker, but it becomes apparent a single character can carry a rescue mission pretty easily, and that having multiple parties ready isn’t big on micromanagement.

I had a party wipe (my first party) on level 4, when I switched to the ATB and fought 0B monsters. It took me a while to understand that I could not hit the gargoyles (flying!) with meelee… Then there were 2 other new enemy types. It’s frantic, but I switched back for now.

Still playing very slowly. I’ve only been as far as level 19. Two wipes so far, although the second one I brought on myself when I saw a “50” square and thought “you know what? This is a terrible idea but I’m going for it.”

I like the slow unfolding of stuff, even as early as I still am in the game. I appreciate that no one here is being too open about what’s to come.

It is funny how the minimalistic approach makes any single little thing in the game seem like a potential spoiler!

so lots of people here playing, how do you play?

• Action Time Battle
  • Wait (turn based)

0 voters

I’m not voting since I haven’t played it yet, but it seems to me that not going with ATB would make Ito cry.

Was Wait not the default? Anyway, most of my Switch gaming is handheld while watching TV, so I like being able to turn my attention away without having to worry about pausing or dying.

It was.

Quick dumb question. My first party wiped on lvl 5 way too fast to a wizard and some flying creature. In the right side list of all the characters, it says some are wandering, etc. it lists some of their positions. I went to one which was on 2nd floor and went to the exact tile they should have been on……but how do you “find” them….I don’t see them and landing on that specific tile does not reveal them….I need more available heroes and have no idea how you get them?