Dwarf Fortress: Very Ambitious Roguelike

Yes, this will be on the short list of games I’ve bought twice. Gladly.

I’ll probably be wrapping up a Bannerlord campaign around then. Will I really need another endless time sink?

I think it depends on the enthusiasm here!

With the way Toady does versioning, a real 1.0 would mean the game is 100% complete according to his grand design. The current version is something like 0.47, which means it is 47% complete. I could see him jumping clear to version 0.5 or something for this.

DF is one of those games I pick up every year or so and then spend some time up late til nearly 3 am for a few days, and then go back to being normal.

I usually throw them a 10$ spot whenever I pick it up again. I will buy whatever full version on steam comes out on Day 1, just to support them, for giving me so many memories over the years.

JonRowe is taken by a fey mood!

This JonRowe menaces with spikes of Limestone, lemur bone, turtle shell and Iron.

On the JonRowe is an image of a A-10 warthog and elves in kitten bone. The A-10 warthog is sneaking. The JonRowe is raising the tube. The tube is burning. The elves are withering away. The JonRowe is laughing. Shitbonerz.

Haha, excellent.

Tarn did an AMA today on Reddit:

I hope this blows the fuck up on launch day and the DF devs get a nice pay day!

I know I’ll do my part, at least :-)

I don’t doubt it will. just like the UnReal World guys, those brothers are human treasures.

JFC I couldn’t make it 60 seconds into this fucking thing.

Your loss.

I’ll take your word on that, lol.

It has his style most of the way through, but eventually he settles into a rhythm actually talking about the game, and some of his stories are pretty funny in that classic Dwarf Fortress story kind of way. The high intensity memes are front loaded to capture kids’ attention I guess. Start around 2:30ish?

High intensity memes front loaded to capture kids attention!

What a time to be alive.

I completely agree. By the time I process what he’s saying, he’s skipped over 5 other things and the screen is flashing with memes.

I think that’s the guy who was annoyed with the Caves of Qud devs for booting him off their Discord.

That ringhs a bell. His content just isn’t for me, if memory serves (and today solidifies).