Dying Light (I hope you liked Dead Island)

In the same boat.
I had a bit of fun in Dead Island in co-op (solo was just fucking boring).
I skipped Riptide because it looked like Dead Island.
And I will skip Dying Light because it once again looks like Dead Island.

This kicking / jumping animation still looks as bad.
Hope they keep the head stomp jump in which was carrying most of the first game for me and my buddy in co-op!
One move that made the game bearable.

I don’t know, man. I really really liked Mirror’s Edge, for one thing, and if it kind of looks like playing an agile character may provide you options to avoid combat with hordes of zombies - in fact, kind of looks like you’re going to have to avoid some of the larger hordes. Looking back on Dead Island, I feel like if they were going to continue to respawn zombies every time I turn my back on the pile of corpses I just created, then they really should have put a viable option for avoiding them, which this game may, note the emphasis, have. I’d love a really well done zombie game and I have yet to find one that scratches that itch perfectly, so I guess I’m going to keep digging.

watched the trailer. Okay. What put’s me off in the Zombie-Killing-Genre. You kill Zombies, because killing Z is good and neccessary. No remorse needed. But Zombies are (always) substitutes for humans. But we do not want a game where you permanently kill unarmed civilians. So let’s kill Zombies. In this trailer you also get to kill Zombie from a favela (looks like it). So you are not only killing unarmed people, but poor unarmed people. Hey, it is okay to kill the poor. Okay, they are Zombies, so killing former-poor-now-zombified-people that’s pretty good. I think I am pretty pissed off now…

It’s pretty vercial slicey, I agree on that, but I don’t think it was linear, the city was clearly open and he could have taken any other road instead of that one. If you watch carefully, the objective appear on the mini map and he just go in that direction. Even in one occasion he is going to the third objective, see lots of zombies, then fall back and try another route. And in the minimap appeared another secondary objective of supplies location that he ignored. About scripted, well, the gameplay was like the other 3-4 videos they have shown already, and they are long videos (10-15 minutes), in some occasion played by a journalist or a streamer, all that point out to not being scripted. It could have been scripted if it was the typical 2 minutes trailer. Sometimes he would trigger a trap, sometimes he was near one and the message appeared on screen indicating it, but he just would run or fight: if it was scripted the traps would be only there to be used by the player to be showcased in the video.

Imo, it looks like an early mission, done to show you how the trap system works and that other stuff (like the fireworks to distract zombies).

And hell, in the end it just looks like an evolution to Dead Island (+ more dynamic day/night,+parkour), so there isn’t any reason to believe what the footage is faked, it isn’t far-fetched to believe the game is like that. Though there is something that maybe it’s truly scripted: a zombie breaks a door in a spectacular end near the end when he is going to enter the second hideout.

Welcome to resident evil 5 debate club

There are more poor people than rich people, there would be more poor zombies. Rich zombies are dead in their mansions, bumping into security shutters, unable to swarm the streets

okay, cooled down a bit ;) yeah, it’s like with the Zombie movies. There are some really good ones that stand a close, critical look, and then there are just trashy ones…

I also think it’s a function of the favelas providing a good environment for the free running gameplay.

This is silly on so many levels, I don’t know where to begin . . . !

I agree but also it’s kind of scary. The stuff in people’s heads…

The demons of DooM? An excuse to kill things in substitution for humans!

pretty much that. Killing fantasies …

Or, you know, smiting uncomplicated evil as it’s own satisfaction.

Sometimes a cigar is actually a cigar.

Looking at that latest video, I’m still really looking forward to it. But then I enjoyed both Dead Islands. They both probably went a little too long and the backtracking was kind of a pain, but the movement in Dying Light looks a lot better. The zombies seem a lot more dangerous and the focus seems more on getting away than wading in and getting your hands dirty.

Delayed until 2015. Will killing zombies still be fun in 2015?

:O

Sad… I was really looking forward to it this year.

With all these delays it will be tricky to fill a “Top 10 games of 2014” in December… ;)

As I didn’t like Dead Island, skipped Riptide I don’t care much about this delay though.
To me it’s more of the same (Dead Island).

New video. Looks a bit more polished than before

Looks great to me. I hope that grappling hook can be used all the time.

I’m not so sure it is silly on that many levels. Let me play devils advocate for a minute. For anyone that’s spent any time, or lived in, an area with a lot of homeless people…let’s take the tenderloin in San Fransisco for example, it would be very easy to extrapolate zombies from the shambling, slow moving, tattered rag wearing, babbling incoherently mass of humanity that exists there. When you set that in an environment that is obviously poor, it doesn’t take much of a leap to see where the underlying inspiration and fear comes from.

Zombies, and monsters in general, are not just pure flights of fancy, they have psychological roots in real fears. Is it a coincidence that the rise of zombie games has mirrored the rise in the homeless problem? I’m sure I could make the case in some sort of paper…

Someone having the reaction that newbrof instinctively had, I don’t view as silly at all. It’s a gut, and quick, reaction to some of the underlying manifestations that create these archetypes to begin with.

Ugh… why release video for something a year away. :(