E is for Education

Well, we’ve seen how a lot of them get those educations, so really it shouldn’t be a surprise.

Being truly rich means not having to worry about optics.

Tell that to Louis XVI.

For profit schools…

https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/1163506539547811840?s=19

Lots of numbers and graphs to dig through. I found this interesting though hardly surprising:

There’s a larger party gap in views on the main purpose of college. A majority of Republicans (58%) say it should be to teach specific skills and knowledge that can be used in the workplace, while only 28% say it should be to help an individual grow personally and intellectually. Democrats are more evenly divided on this: 43% say the main purpose of college should be developing skills and knowledge, while roughly the same share (42%) point to personal and intellectual growth.

The difference between a populace that follows orders and one that questions orders.

Not surprising that this administration is proposing to “reduce the paperwork burden on schools and school districts around the country” by removing questions pertaining to race. Or that their additional questions happen to make it easier to target particular kinds of sexual assault or bullying instead of addressing the larger concerns. Which is not to say the changes wouldn’t have good effects, too, but it’s hard not to look for the worst given the track record.

Ohio just needs to leave the U.S. at this point. Welcome to idiot central:

Earth is flat thanks to your religion? Vaccines cause autism? Humans played with Dinosaurs just 4,000 years ago? Evolution doesn’t exist? You can’t get it wrong on a test.

How’s this sound? You go to medical school and pass even though you get most of the stuff wrong claiming the tests “impinge on your religious beliefs”. An Ohio education is going to have as much value as a Trump University diploma.

Time for those atheist students to start producing some seriously anti-religion material. Best case, they end up with a lawsuit.

Religious people are already a protected class. Now they will be protected while in class too. Or something?

(Okay, today my jokes suck.)

But remember, liberals are the real snowflakes who don’t want to hear things they dislike.

There’s just nothing funny about this. We’re getting eerily close to “Brawndo is what plants crave” territory.

If i were to make questions under such a law, i suspect it could be done pretty easily. For instance, rather than along where humans came from, you could ask, “where does Darwin’s theory of evolution say humans came from?”

Which, honestly, is a better question, as it doesn’t require you to necessarily know the actual reality of the universe, but just fact based knowledge. Even if you don’t believe in evolution, you can still be expected to understand the theory, and answer the question, and this law wouldn’t prevent that.

This part here though:

In 2007, a Pennsylvania second grader wrote a story about Easter and redemption, only to have it rejected because it referenced God.

I’d have to see the details of the case, but from that description, it sounds like the teacher should fuck right off.

All of human medicine relies on evolution. Example “This test asks how much DNA we share with mice and I said 0% because we didn’t evolve from anything God created us from mud”.

The ENTIRE foundation of science can all be traced back to the Big Bang, quantum physics, and evolution. Those 3 tenets, if questioned or disbelieved destroys the actual understanding of nature.

The reality is, even though most folks in this forum probably “believe in evolution”, few understand how modern science understands it to work. The reality of evolution is more complex than Darwin’s original ideas.

So, again, a better question to test the kind of understanding being taught in elementary school, is fact based and should be specific about Darwin’s theory of evolution (or whatever other facet you are taking about).

There is no harm in making those questions specific in that way, as it ultimately presents a more accurate understanding of how science works.

I couldn’t find any detail on it but who knows what the story was actually about. Maybe it was about how the teacher was a godless heathen who could only find redemption in God? I’d probably reject that too :D Looks like the ACLU wrote a letter on the student’s behalf in this case though.

Why force a teacher to waste time having to snowflake test all his questions?

While I agree, there’s a part of me which remembers getting points off for not giving “better” answers in an essay or not choosing the “best” answer in multiple choice, so forcing the educator to make “better” questions has the slight sense of justice for some reason. That said, the law is beyond stupid.

I don’t know because it’s against my religion to read.

It’s not even that, it’s that if you ask “where did humans come from” it’s a bad question. It’s a better question, with a more specific and will defined answer to all something like “explain the basis principles behind Darwin’s theory of evolution”.