E3 2018 thread of megaton and dissapointon

I think it has ADRs.

Isn’t NTDOF the equivalent?

The stock advisor has logged on

Ok, there is some blind fanboyism going on here. I love the switch, and I was generally excited for the first year, so many awesome games.

But this e3 for Nintendo was a DUD. The only new things shown were third party games and Mario Party. There was no information explaining their online service further, They spent 25 minutes of their direct explaining the mechanics of a game that is the 5th one. This is partly the fault of them knocking it out of the park the last 2 years with heavy hitters and big releases, this showing pales in comparison to the last 2 years.

I would think that you are right in saying that most investors are idiots, you would be stupid to jump off of a stock in the fastest growing console in this generation, but you can see where some people would say.

“How are they going to do in the future?” “What is the 5 year plan?” I think that Nintendo underestimates how much these press conferences in the US are used by investors to make decisions, and regardless of what your perception of how things looked, the public thinks otherwise. And in a publicly traded company, it is what the public cares about that counts.

If you watched that press conference, your thoughts would be… what are they doing in 2019? Sony has games, Microsoft has games. Does Nintendo? I don’t know! This, to me, felt like a step backwards to the Wii U era.

I think that’s because they wanted surprises and Nintendo didn’t have a Metroid Prime 4-like surprise this year. They did what they said they’d do… they talked about Smash, which will be a multi-million selling game on the level of their other multi-million selling evergreen Switch games that are still going strong in 2018.

The only reason you’re down on Nintendo now is because you knew what you were going to see. It’ll all swing throughout the year as they announce more games and systems keep on selling. Don’t forget the NES Classic is coming back in 2018 too. Investors really aren’t up on this at all.

Well, yeah, but that’s also how stock prices work. People had clearly priced in “more than Smash”. If you really think there is “more than Smash” in the near term, then go for it.

I’m pretty sure they are up on that.

If you haven’t seen this yet, just watch… and wait for the frying pan…

Also, if you like Yakuza but want more crazy and some heads a poppin’…

October. :)

So when all this stuff sells like gangbusters later this year you’ll have been smart for buying now while everyone is selling.

Nintendo has never worried that much about their stock price since they’re still sitting on piles and piles of cash. Investors have always been known to be completely wrong on Nintendo. This is no different IMO.

Nah it’s more than that they talk about the booth having the least number of games they can remember which was extra disappointing based on how switch is doing.

And it just seems stupid from a corporate standpoint to have so little at e3, the perception of e3 is a yearly event to show the roadmap for the next 1-2 years for a console. If Nintendo isn’t going to stick to that kind of script, they probably should just continue to have their own events outside of e3, otherwise people and the public will be disappointed.

To me E3 is about showing what you have in mind.

You can have in mind some grand dumb strategy (fads like social games, or selling movies). You can have in mind the next games you will sell. You can have in mind the next console.

And is about the spectacle.

It happens that showing a lot of games like Microsoft did is a good way to do that, and punch above your weight.

To me, E3 is not a game show.

This is a good explanation. Yeah, Smash Bros. is going to be a huge hit this year, the Switch will continue to sell gangbusters, and there are a ton of great indie games coming to the system to fill the gap alongside a few AAA ports.

But all of those were already known going into E3, so their stock price had already baked those expectations in. Their stock price also had baked into it E3 expectations of big new major long-term announcements.

I’ll also say that Microsoft’s stock price will always be much less affected by E3 announcements since gaming is a relatively small part of their overall business.

And when Nintendo makes those announcements I am sure the stock price will be reflected, I am just sure investors were buying stock in hopes of something new and then selling at a modest profit when nothing big was announced.

There are a lot of Switch games I’m going to pick up this year and I love that system and Smash looks great and yaaaay Ridley, but man as a show that was one of their worst in a decade. ffs if they didn’t yank Sakurai off camera to throw him back in his Smash dungeon he was going to start reading off source code.

If you had told me on Sunday–after the MS press conference–that I would have ranked those shows MS, Sony, Nintendo in terms of entertainment (but not necessarily number of games I’m going to buy) I would have been kinda bummed out. But whatever we got babies in a jar so it all worked out.

Also, Ubi had the best show. Those guys know how to party. They had a panda, fake Super Dave and pirates. And more Miyamoto than the Nintendo Direct! I want a morning talk show with Yves and Shigeru. Plus, BG&E2 seems really cool. I can only hope that in the five years between now and when it comes out the community can shame Ubi out of this goofy spec work stuff they’ve lined up with the guy from Brick.

I agree. It’s a place to share your vision, you dreams. So I don’t personally mind when the reality hits later when a game comes out, and it doesn’t fully fit that vision, whether that’s a Peter Molyneux game or a Spore or various Ubisoft games which really look incredible when they first describe the vision.

One last reveal… I have to say I will miss this. Good job Mark and good job Sony & Kaz for knowing how to take a joke.

I finally got around to seeing the first half of the Ubisoft presentation. Man, that was amazing. The Just Dance Panda dancing, the Beyond Good and Evil 2 stuff, and even the stuff they showed from the new Trials Rising game was crazy. Did you see that they had ramps on top of a moving train, with cross walks and signals and bridges coming at you? They just keep adding more and more layers to that game.

Ubisoft is so good at E3.

That’s the most positive Twitter thread (page? list of replies?) I have ever seen.

The stock price, I could not care less about. The investors are probably right, but I’ve no idea what they were looking for. Maybe a killer phone game.

But in another sense, the Fortnite thing is a pretty big deal for Nintendo. They are in on the hotness as it’s happening… unusual for them. A real Fortnite on the go is a nice card to play.

E3 sucked for me because Fire Emblem is delayed. Period. Also, no surprise Diablo collection or anything to make up for it.

Octopath will merit a buy I think, Smash of course, and maybe Mario Tennis. Not a lot.

Couple nice smaller surprises though, both weirdly DK related. Looks like Ubi did a lot of work on DK expansion for Mario Rabbids… awesome. And an Arcade perfect original DK? Bought that last night.

I knew about his jokes, but I didn’t know he was this good.