Early GOTY poll: Witcher 3 or MGS5?

Totally premature thread, but fun to do, and provoke some discussion about the titles.

I haven’t played MGS5, so I won’t vote for now.

I like the assumed premise one of these two is GOTY.

Hah hah, yeah. It’s not really about what game is the goty, that part is tongue in cheek, but what of the two games is your favorite, as it seems both are excellent in their genre (one in stealth action, the other in RPG).

HA! Figured as much, I was just joking around since I’m afraid I can’t speak to the quality of either of your choices, as I’ve not played either, not my cup o’ tea.

But both have more than enough buzz on them I’m sure you’ll get yourself a discussion here shortly once everyone finishes up burning whatever they’ve got on the grill today.

I need to give the Witcher 3 another shot. It was a complete flop for me, but I seem to be the only person in the universe who feels this way, so I need to readdress those feelings. On the other hand I adore MGS 5. This is strange because I was a huge fan of the Witcher 1 and 2, and haven’t really been a huge fan of any of the Metal Gears. Also, I’m usually turned off by military themes and enjoy fantasy themes a stupid amount. Finally, MGS 5 is the first stealth game I’ve really connected with, whereas RPGs and action games are my typical go to genres (Pillars of Eternity and Bayonetta 2 being the other two single player games I played the most this year).

At the end of the day, the things that get me the most excited in games are usually interesting interlocking systems and mechanics, less often exploration and writing. The Witcher 3 seems to have a strong emphasis on the latter, and MGS 5 a strong emphasis on the former, so I’m sure that’s pushed my feelings more than anything else.

I need to experience more of the MGS gameplay before I decide. SO far the story and writing were so much better in TW3, but I need to see what game elements MGS has.

For me it’s a choice between DiRT Rally and Witcher 3. It’s a hell of a tough choice. I’m about 120 hours into DiRT Rally and 80 hours into Witcher 3, and both are really incredible games, possibly the best in their respective genres that I’ve ever played.

Sadly that makes it so I don’t have time for MGS V yet.

The Witcher 3 by default, since I haven’t given MGSV a go yet.

I’ve never been a fan of the traditional MGS formula (i.e. the emphasis on elaborate cutscenes full of convoluted gibberish about characters I don’t care about) so the highest compliment I can give MGSV is that people have said enough good things about the gameplay that I will probably eventually pick it up.

I feel like folks who haven’t played both shouldn’t be in here. :)

I am enjoying MGS V so much right now, it’s tough to be detached from such an investigation. I’ll remain silent for now, since I completed Witcher 3 (and a nasty bug made me an unkillable god, diluting the last 10 hours or so of the game) and I am only 20 missions and 37 side-ops into MGS V (if the last half of MGS V sucks, I’d like to factor that in!)

My heart says Witcher 3 for sure. I haven’t play MGS V enough to know what my brain says, but even if both games are equally strong (in different ways), I’ll still pick Witcher 3 because I love not only the game, but the universe it’s based on, and the developers who made it.

No “Shit Bonerz” option in the poll?

I knew it would slant too much the poll! Like, 5% W3, 5% MGS5, 90% shit bonerz!

Is Metal Gear Solid V the one with the ridiculous girl in the leather bikini? I’m not sure who that game is supposed to appeal to. GOTY? Come on, really? I thought we had matured as gamers past that dumb stuff. GOTY for 13 year olds, maybe. Though there is plenty of optional sex in TW3.

though?

Um… that’s like ONE aspect of a massive game. And it’s explained by SCIENCE why she wears that! :P There isn’t any nudity in MGS V if that affects your delicate sensibilities. :)

Um… that’s like ONE aspect of a massive game. And it’s explained by SCIENCE why she wears that! :P There isn’t any nudity in MGS V if that affects your delicate sensibilities (unlike Witcher 3, which featured FULL ON SEX SCENES for said 13 year old boys). :)

What about Mad Max and Dying Light? They would be in my top 5 for this year for sure. :D

Yeah but in all truth, Witcher 3 is my hands down GOTY 2015.

Yeah, because EVERYONE who’s playing MGS is playing SOLELY to see a ridiculous girl in a leather bikini, and the said girl is the ONLY appeal the game has. There’s no other reason or explanation to why anyone would play and enjoy MGS V. No, sir, no. Nothing at all.

To be fair, Quiet, the sniper in the bikini, is a pretty terrible character design. I mean, hey it’s cool because I like cheesecake as much as any red-blooded male, but the weak-ass explanation for why she’s in a bikini is super-dumb. If Kojima wanted a girl in a bikini in his game, he should’ve put her in it and just never bothered with the backstory. The reason given is so insulting that it actually makes it worse.

Granted. My point is that, terrible design or not, it’s neither a reason why the game would be considered as a GotY candidate, nor a reason to disconsider the game as a GotY candidate. That would be seeing the forest for the trees, to put it mildly.